Guelph General Hospital logo
Guelph General Hospital

Guelph General Hospital Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere

Great place to work. Everyone is friendly and easy to work with. Pay is above average, management is supportive and helpful. Busy, fast paced, work environment.

Pros

Good pay, great staff, enjoyable work environment.

24 April 2021
Glad to hear you had positive experience! Thanks for sharing your comments. We are fortunate to have a culture that demonstrates respect, accountability, compassion and team work!

Not what it once was!

Simply put, the medicine program (4E/W) at the Guelph General Hospital is not what it once was! The culture has become toxic and as a result the turnover of staff is astronomical. There is a culture of fear and intimidation. Management is well aware of the concerns but fail to address the issues that have made GGH unbearable. At one time it was a wonderful place to work, with an amazing team! Lately, the constant working short staffed, lack of supports and understanding from management, and the culture have created an unpleasant work environment to say the least. I really feel for the new staff and the patients there!

Pros

The floor staff

Cons

Lack of support, work short staffed, management, culture

Great Employer, Poor Management

Co-workers were great and helpful. Some Directors are young and inexperienced in conflict resolution and scheduling. Instead of supporting their team, they fuel the fire and bring down morale, with their passive aggressive attitude, which is unfortunate during these challenging times. There were constant changes with people leaving the department or resigning.

Pros

Rate of pay

Cons

Poor Leadership

7 June 2021
Sorry to hear of your experience with your Director and the culture within your department. We pride ourselves on our values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Team work, and want those to be the foundation of our organization and culture. If you are comfortable, please contact Sabrina, our OD Consultant. Sabrina can conduct an exit interview to learn more about your experience, and get your feedback on how we can make improvements.

Toxic lifers

In the dietary field, the job was repetitive which allowed the lifers to bully the playground kids a.ka. co-workers. Management is aloof and unaware of anything going on in the department. The positive, was working with the patients, and bringing some joy to there day.

Pros

Done by 3pm

Cons

Lifers

24 April 2021
I'm sorry to hear this was your experience. We do care about our employees and for that reason we have supports in place for example our Respectful Workplace policy. If you would like to connect with the Human Resources Dept. directly regarding your comments above, please email recruiting@gghorg.ca

great work environment

I was a student nurse at GGH for a few months and really enjoyed my time there. The staff and management were extremely welcoming and very helpful when you needed assistance.

Great Teams

Fantastic team environment for an acute care setting. Very collaborative teams that work well together. Especially 5W & 6W. Couldn’t ask for more. Very happy working here.

Horrible work culture

Very clicky, poor team work 0 work prep in comparison to other work places, you are very much so sink or swim. Clicky girls on most of the floors wouldnt recommend

14 January 2020

productive

This job was a very busy and stressful workplace with lots of multitasking. Company supported and helped pay for educational upgrades that was beneficial to the department.

14 January 2020
We're very happy to hear you had a good experience at Guelph General Hospital.We are fortunate to have a educational assistance fund for staff.

Good company

GGH is a very welcoming and inviting company. My hiring process was not stressful nor intimidating; the orientation was thorough and well prepared me for my position; and management treats all employees fair and with integrity. Being offered a position with GGH would be a great opportunity for anyone who loves what they do.

Excellent place to work. Only downfall was the bullying by another staff. This was happening too many staff members and management did nothing. Otherwise staff was helpful and worked well within a team. Takes you to your maximum scope of practice. Great learning opportunity.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

bullying

Jobs at Guelph General Hospital

See more jobs

Helpful Atmopshere

During my time at Guelph General Hospital as a Purchasing Assistant, I was faced with many learning curves. My colleagues within the Materials Management department were always willing to teach me, and offer quick advice.

Pros

Kind staff, great hours

Cons

Quiet/Boring work environment

Working alone and independently

Enjoyed engaging patients/clients during course of daily duties and successfully providing them with phone and telephone services, Pleasing work place

Pros

Agreeable working hours

Cons

Listening to customers complaints

Great people

I enjoy working at GGH. The people are fantastic and it is great to be part of a team that is helping others. I am proud to work, serving the people of my community. The most difficult part of my job is the lack of funding available to Healthcare. So much more could be done with more funding.

Small town hospital with a good focus on clinical patients

This hospital is small (200 beds or so) and is very quaint. The pharmacy department is a 30 employees or so, where the attitude between pharmacists and technicians is friendly and jovial. As NAPRA standards come in to play, this hospital is due for some major overhauls in its sterile procedure space and may be under construction in the future. CPOE, EMAR and bar coding all to be established starting in early 2019.

Pros

Department opens at 7am and closes at 9pm, therefore no night shift.

Cons

Director retiring early 2019

very supportive staff

i was offered a temporary full time line at my current place of employment and could only work one job. i enjoyed working at Guelph General hospital but could not keep two jobs.

Pros

lunch and learn

Cons

a few cranky nurses

Lovely Place to Work

My typical work day was consistent. I learned many new things, and I was able to participate in educational opportunities for continuous growth. The organizational culture is great, the management is kind and the staff is wonderful to work with.

I would love to work at this hospital.

Its a nice place to work. I feel very respectable while volunteering and gaining experience with the hospital environment. The staff is very knowledgeable and always willing to guide me .

Pros

free coffee

Cons

sometimes stressful to see the patient sufferings

Guelph General Hospital

Well maintained. Great place to work. Friendly employees. Always switching and learning. Never had no issues. its a challenge of learning, Challenging your ability as a person so push to see what you can succeed.

I completed an RPN student placement at the Guelph General Hospital.

I found GGH to be an engaging environment to complete a student nurse placement. I learned the basics of how to engage with a client as a student nurse. I would work there again if given an opportunity.

My work experience at GGH was enjoyable.

My years of work at Guelph General Hospital are unforgettable.The work atmosphere was nice even though some days could be stressful.My coworkers made going to work more pleasurable. I have made some life long friends as well.

Pros

Approachable management staff.

Cons

working short staffed

Was here as a student

Was at this hospital as a student many years ago. It was a good experience with nice nurses and i learned a lot as a result of this. It appeared to be a good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guelph General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2