Guelph General Hospital
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Guelph General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada44 reviews

staffteamenvironmentworkingplacedaytimemanagement

Fast paced, always learning, great coworkers.

Team based, everyone works well together. Fast paced and can be very busy especially these days but working within a good team makes a big difference.

Over wrked and underpaid

Staff is underpaid and over wrked , always short, ratio per patient to nurse is horrible , patents r soiled and ignored place is falling apart , management doesn’t care at all,

Insights into Guelph General Hospital

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Management pose a significant problem

In my honest opinion, while I don't want to completely discourage anyone from applying (most of my coworkers are amazing to work with), I do want to say that management is one of the largest problems we have. They don't realize how many people they are driving away, we are on the brink of becoming critically short staffed (more so than we are now) with a couple more people considering leaving. People are getting to a point they are tired of having to work under them and management overestimates people's loyalty to staying.

Pros

Mostly great coworkers

10 November 2022
It saddens us to learn that this has been your experience. We know they are doing their best to support our frontline staff. This is a very difficult time in healthcare with many sick patients, not enough beds and not enough staff. We have been working hard to support our Management Team as they navigate extremely challenging situations everyday. If you can provide insight as to how we can further support our Management and address the concerns you have raised, we would be very interested in having that discussion with you. Please contact Sabrina Seo sseo@gghorg.ca

Look elsewhere if you are a person of colour!!

Lots of lip service on inclusion and diversity when you are being hired! As long as you don’t expect a warm and welcoming work environment, you should be good! Have heard about ex-employees struggling to “fit-in” and leaving eventually! If you think it can’t be that bad, you’re in for a surprise!! Survival lesson: just do your hours and get the pay check. Have a tough skin not to allow any of this to get to you!There are some coworkers who are nice (can’t say the same for the “ladies who have been at the hospital forever”) The only good thing is the satisfaction you get from helping patients!

13 September 2022
It is truly unfortunate your experience at Guelph General Hospital is marred by a perception of inequity based on race. Building a workplace where we feel valued, welcomed and recognized for our talents, skills, and experiences is critical for our teams. It would be great to have an opportunity to understand your experience better and to ensure we are working together in ways that reflect our values and human rights legislation. Please contact us at this confidential email (inclusion@gghorg.ca) for further discussion.In order to ensure the well-being of our staff, patients, volunteers and the community we serve, Guelph General Hospital remains fully committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI).

Absolutely terrible

Where to start?I have worked at GGH for 6 years as an RN on medicine, maybe the worst 6 years of work of my life.The colleagues are wonderful but that’s where it stops. There is little to no support from the management who have never actually worked a day on a medical unit, the same can be said for the educators of the program as well. How can one look up to management or take advice from an educator who has never actually set foot on a medical unit? There is such a disconnect between front line staff and the “clacky shoes” it is unbearable. Do not think that doing your job well, taking extra courses or post graduate work will lead to any kind of career advancement. Unless you are in the “old girls club” you will not stand a chance. Non union positions are filled before the jobs are posted and there always seems to be a new non union position created for those the “clacky shoes” like or are related to. What was once an amazing place to work surrounded by wonderfully supportive staff has become simply a place to work. The support is no longer there. The money is all that seems to matter to management. Staff turnover is astronomical as a result. We are told turnover is high as medicine is a place people like to start their career, this was never the case in the past as staff worked medicine for 20+ years and retired happy on that unit until the new management arrived. Now it’s a different world with no senior staff, new staff with zero experience being in charge, educators with less than 6months of nursing experience, management who just seem to be there, more management and -

Pros

There are none anymore

Cons

Everything!

Revolving Door Of Staff

In my time working here it was a revolving door of staff! Unless you were related to someone you were let go or an extension at the end of your 500 hour probation… at least in housekeeping If you’re not a favourite you’ll be glow Germmed audit (glow gel) constantly and not given details of findings Improper training will be provided

Pros

Lots of hours to pick up, extremely good pay

Cons

Constant audits, Union does not support you, favouritism

Overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated. High stress, burnout and compassion fatigue.

- Staff are overworked, under paid, and under appreciated. Management gives great lip service but won’t take action and provide staff with what they really need (I.e. mental health days, an increase in vacation, an increase in pay, sufficient benefits, wellness budget, more staff, proper equipment, etc). Burnout and compassion fatigue is high and retention is low but instead of addressing the root problems they either ignore it and hopes it goes away or tries to bandaid fix it which only lasts for the short term. - The benefits are subpar considering working in a hospital is physically, emotionally and mentally difficult. You want to see a therapist to help with your emotional and mental health - you better be prepared to pay out of pocket. You want to see a physiotherapist or registered massage therapist on a relatively consistent basis, well you need to get a physicians referral and even then the insurance company will only allow you a couple of visits before they determine you don’t need it anymore. - Want to move up in your career? Well you better be the nephew of the CEO or good friends with the VP of patient services. They won’t hire or promote people that are the most qualified or best fit for the position. - Staff aren’t properly trained for their positions which results in poor team work and patient care. Again, instead of addressing the problem management just ignores it. Management asks for feedback but when it is given they don’t implement any of the feedback. - They hired a wellness person who runs a couple of workshops on deep breathing and how to sleep better. -

Pros

Working with and helping patients and their families.

Cons

Poor management, lack of respect and support, poor benefits and vacation, understaffed

Busy and challenging

The staff are the best part of this job. Can be very stressful due to patient acuity and nurse patient ratio. Don’t always feel appreciated or supported by managers on call

Pros

Co workers

good experience

i like the atmosphere there and i would love to work there.. .....the staff were helpful and kind.the boss was helpful , every thing was organized

10 November 2022
Thanks for sharing this and we are so glad you had a great placement with us!

Not what it once was!

Simply put, the medicine program (4E/W) at the Guelph General Hospital is not what it once was! The culture has become toxic and as a result the turnover of staff is astronomical. There is a culture of fear and intimidation. Management is well aware of the concerns but fail to address the issues that have made GGH unbearable. At one time it was a wonderful place to work, with an amazing team! Lately, the constant working short staffed, lack of supports and understanding from management, and the culture have created an unpleasant work environment to say the least. I really feel for the new staff and the patients there!

Pros

The floor staff

Cons

Lack of support, work short staffed, management, culture

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Guelph General Hospital?

Great Employer, Poor Management

Co-workers were great and helpful. Some Directors are young and inexperienced in conflict resolution and scheduling. Instead of supporting their team, they fuel the fire and bring down morale, with their passive aggressive attitude, which is unfortunate during these challenging times. There were constant changes with people leaving the department or resigning.

Pros

Rate of pay

Cons

Poor Leadership

7 June 2021
Sorry to hear of your experience with your Director and the culture within your department. We pride ourselves on our values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Team work, and want those to be the foundation of our organization and culture. If you are comfortable, please contact Sabrina, our OD Consultant. Sabrina can conduct an exit interview to learn more about your experience, and get your feedback on how we can make improvements.

Toxic lifers

In the dietary field, the job was repetitive which allowed the lifers to bully the playground kids a.ka. co-workers. Management is aloof and unaware of anything going on in the department. The positive, was working with the patients, and bringing some joy to there day.

Pros

Done by 3pm

Cons

Lifers

24 April 2021
I'm sorry to hear this was your experience. We do care about our employees and for that reason we have supports in place for example our Respectful Workplace policy. If you would like to connect with the Human Resources Dept. directly regarding your comments above, please email recruiting@gghorg.ca

Great atmosphere

Great place to work. Everyone is friendly and easy to work with. Pay is above average, management is supportive and helpful. Busy, fast paced, work environment.

Pros

Good pay, great staff, enjoyable work environment.

24 April 2021
Glad to hear you had positive experience! Thanks for sharing your comments. We are fortunate to have a culture that demonstrates respect, accountability, compassion and team work!

great work environment

I was a student nurse at GGH for a few months and really enjoyed my time there. The staff and management were extremely welcoming and very helpful when you needed assistance.

Great Teams

Fantastic team environment for an acute care setting. Very collaborative teams that work well together. Especially 5W & 6W. Couldn’t ask for more. Very happy working here.

Horrible work culture

Very clicky, poor team work 0 work prep in comparison to other work places, you are very much so sink or swim. Clicky girls on most of the floors wouldnt recommend

14 January 2020

productive

This job was a very busy and stressful workplace with lots of multitasking. Company supported and helped pay for educational upgrades that was beneficial to the department.

14 January 2020
We're very happy to hear you had a good experience at Guelph General Hospital.We are fortunate to have a educational assistance fund for staff.

Good company

GGH is a very welcoming and inviting company. My hiring process was not stressful nor intimidating; the orientation was thorough and well prepared me for my position; and management treats all employees fair and with integrity. Being offered a position with GGH would be a great opportunity for anyone who loves what they do.

Excellent place to work. Only downfall was the bullying by another staff. This was happening too many staff members and management did nothing. Otherwise staff was helpful and worked well within a team. Takes you to your maximum scope of practice. Great learning opportunity.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

bullying

Helpful Atmopshere

During my time at Guelph General Hospital as a Purchasing Assistant, I was faced with many learning curves. My colleagues within the Materials Management department were always willing to teach me, and offer quick advice.

Pros

Kind staff, great hours

Cons

Quiet/Boring work environment

Working alone and independently

Enjoyed engaging patients/clients during course of daily duties and successfully providing them with phone and telephone services, Pleasing work place

Pros

Agreeable working hours

Cons

Listening to customers complaints

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guelph General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement