Guelph General Hospital

Guelph General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Great place to work. Everyone is friendly and easy to work with. Pay is above average, management is supportive and helpful. Busy, fast paced, work environment.
Pros
Good pay, great staff, enjoyable work environment.
I was a student nurse at GGH for a few months and really enjoyed my time there. The staff and management were extremely welcoming and very helpful when you needed assistance.
Fantastic team environment for an acute care setting. Very collaborative teams that work well together. Especially 5W & 6W. Couldn’t ask for more. Very happy working here.
Very clicky, poor team work
0 work prep in comparison to other work places, you are very much so sink or swim.

Clicky girls on most of the floors

wouldnt recommend
Official response from Guelph General Hospital
14 January 2020
I'm sorry to hear this was your experience. We do care about our employees and for that reason we have supports in place for example our Respectful Workplace policy. If you would like to connect with the Human Resources Dept. directly regarding your comments above, please email recruiting@gghorg.ca
This job was a very busy and stressful workplace with lots of multitasking. Company supported and helped pay for educational upgrades that was beneficial to the department.
Official response from Guelph General Hospital
14 January 2020
We're very happy to hear you had a good experience at Guelph General Hospital.
We are fortunate to have a educational assistance fund for staff.
GGH is a very welcoming and inviting company. My hiring process was not stressful nor intimidating; the orientation was thorough and well prepared me for my position; and management treats all employees fair and with integrity. Being offered a position with GGH would be a great opportunity for anyone who loves what they do.
Excellent place to work. Only downfall was the bullying by another staff. This was happening too many staff members and management did nothing. Otherwise staff was helpful and worked well within a team. Takes you to your maximum scope of practice. Great learning opportunity.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
bullying
During my time at Guelph General Hospital as a Purchasing Assistant, I was faced with many learning curves. My colleagues within the Materials Management department were always willing to teach me, and offer quick advice.
Pros
Kind staff, great hours
Cons
Quiet/Boring work environment
Enjoyed engaging patients/clients during course of daily duties and successfully providing them with phone and telephone services, Pleasing work place
Pros
Agreeable working hours
Cons
Listening to customers complaints
I enjoy working at GGH. The people are fantastic and it is great to be part of a team that is helping others. I am proud to work, serving the people of my community. The most difficult part of my job is the lack of funding available to Healthcare. So much more could be done with more funding.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Guelph General Hospital?
This hospital is small (200 beds or so) and is very quaint. The pharmacy department is a 30 employees or so, where the attitude between pharmacists and technicians is friendly and jovial. As NAPRA standards come in to play, this hospital is due for some major overhauls in its sterile procedure space and may be under construction in the future. CPOE, EMAR and bar coding all to be established starting in early 2019.
Pros
Department opens at 7am and closes at 9pm, therefore no night shift.
Cons
Director retiring early 2019
i was offered a temporary full time line at my current place of employment and could only work one job. i enjoyed working at Guelph General hospital but could not keep two jobs.
Pros
lunch and learn
Cons
a few cranky nurses
My typical work day was consistent. I learned many new things, and I was able to participate in educational opportunities for continuous growth. The organizational culture is great, the management is kind and the staff is wonderful to work with.
Its a nice place to work. I feel very respectable while volunteering and gaining experience with the hospital environment. The staff is very knowledgeable and always willing to guide me .
Pros
free coffee
Cons
sometimes stressful to see the patient sufferings
Well maintained. Great place to work. Friendly employees. Always switching and learning. Never had no issues. its a challenge of learning, Challenging your ability as a person so push to see what you can succeed.
I found GGH to be an engaging environment to complete a student nurse placement. I learned the basics of how to engage with a client as a student nurse. I would work there again if given an opportunity.
My years of work at Guelph General Hospital are unforgettable.The work atmosphere was nice even though some days could be stressful.My coworkers made going to work more pleasurable. I have made some life long friends as well.
Pros
Approachable management staff.
Cons
working short staffed
Was at this hospital as a student many years ago. It was a good experience with nice nurses and i learned a lot as a result of this. It appeared to be a good place to work.
pension is good - most days are good but overall surgery floor can get very busy at times - very respecrful environment to work in - decent break times
Pros
good nurses to work with
Cons
on your feet for 8 hours a day
Wonderful staff to work with including both nurses and physicians. We all supported one another during stressful situations that you are often faced with in ER
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
I have worked at the hospital for 10 years now; 5 years with Food Services and 5 more years with Materials Management. I enjoy the team I work with, very hard working and reliable. Since I am part-time, there are many additional shifts available to pick up during the week and weekends.
Pros
Great team