Grove Park Home

Grove Park Home: 26 Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews

Best place to work

I worked as Dietary aide for 5 months.I completed my placement at Grove park under the foodservice director and manager.Before joining GP i worked as DA at two place and the experience was not great but when I started working at GP it was really a good experience.The team, the work culture, the psw's, nurse's, Kitchen staff, etc all are so accommodating and encouraging.I felt like home. I would just they one word," Family". Everyone at GP is my family.I loved working at this place so much.

Pros

Happiness, more learning, surprise treats, food is free.

Cons

It's okay, could be better but could be worse

Some times your job went smooth and other times you were spending the entire shift picking up the slack from other psws. Have never been introduced to any of my bosses but have been expected to know who they are.Never have enough staff and they don't bother trying to call people in half the time.I do enjoy who I work with most of the time, and I love the residents.

Pros

Free food when available

Cons

Low on staff Management is distant

Insights into Grove Park Home

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Nice place to work.

Nice place to work. Not much room for advancement if that is what you are looking for. Schedules can be flexible and there are always extra shifts available.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Lots of standing

I really enjoyed the residential environment

My experience was mixed at the time I was a new worker and for the most part people were very kind . Although some staff went out of there way to help there was a few who lacked teamwork and I found myself picking up a lot of slack . Management was good to address things and were approachable.

Pros

The residents are very nice people

Cons

Lack of communication with staff at times

collaberative fast pase work space

the management are very leanient on what days off youre awared and most of the staff are very helpful and nice the work environment is very welcoming.

Poor interpersonal skills among management. Poor direction from director. Not trustworthy and underhanded. Director mocks employees and will not focus on the job at hand.

Very friendly place

Loved working here, I hope I find another place just like it. Was even considering commuting. They have lines available for part time and full time. They work with you in what schedule best suits you.

Pros

Very understanding management

Cons

Lower wages

The people are very kind and friendly, always willing to help you if you really want to learn. The residents are wonderful and you really feel that you are among family and friends. Management are willing to listen to you and do their best to make working conditions better. Sometimes we are short of staff but believe me that it is not something common or that they do not care as in other LTCs. The salary could be better, but although I could get another job with more money per hour, I would not leave this place, money is not always the important thing.

Great place to work- highly recommend

Loved working at grove park. One of the best nursing homes in Barrie. Management is super. Staff are very nice. Pay is not the best. Hours are ok. Sometimes hard to get a lot of shifts. Nurses work 8 hours and 12 hour shifts. Job security is good. Free meals for staff everyday after residents get served. Getting time off is easy. No pressure working here.

it never felt I am going to work. the workplace feels like home and it is so much fun to work among our seniors.

Along with working at grove park, I also did my both Co -op placements here. This gave me a chance to mix up more with my team mates and surely helped me to improve on various skills, be it technical or interpersonal.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Grove Park Home?

Lovely place

Everyone is super friendly and willing to lend a hand when needed. Non profit organization so they actually care about you not just $$$ I loved volunteering here and I'm lucky enough to have been chosen for their psw student program meaning they are actually paying for my school tuition and once I am certified I'm immediately hired on part time.

productive and involving environment

A typical day here would consist of friendly visits with the residents, doing nail touch ups, and helping with feeding at lunch time. The management is awesome their always wiling to help if needed and everyone is so involved and eager to lend a hand. The hardest part of the job would be when a resident passes away, its like a family community so we all feel it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the impact it made on the residents, seeing their smiles and hearing their laughter is such repayment.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

long hours- can strain body.

Amazing Workplace

Everyone is so friendly, the atmosphere is amazing, the residents and staff are phenomenal. The management team is extremely friendly and care about their staff.

Meeting new people and compassionate environment

My day was filled with meeting and greeting visitors, answering phones, Accounts Payables, Accounts Receivables, processing Admissions and Discharges, stationary inventory, processing donations and tax receipts, processing Trust accounts. The hardest part of the job was the discharge of residents. The most enjoyable part of the job was day to day interaction with the residents and family members.

Pros

staff appreciation lunches

Cons

losing family members and residents upon discharges

Great staff, great management

I worked on a contract at Grove Park for 8 months. The people were lovely and the environment was very calm and well put together. The pay was adequate and I can definitely say I enjoyed coming in every day.

Pros

Great management, organized events

Great people to work with.

Enjoyed working with the other employees. Great staff, great team work. Pay rate isn’t all the great. Administration staff could do a lot better in terms of satisctory of employees. And not enough full time positions. Other than that it’s a great place to work.

Better than most homes

I am a PSW, my department is difficult but I've heard from other employees that GPH is better than other homes. I learned that the job is immensely demanding, physically mentally and emotionally. You are underpaid for what you do, truly. I know a lot of people say that about their job but in health care it's just so true. You would have to work in it to truly ever understand the hardships that you only experience in a health care setting, I can't describe it. Management at GPH I'd say is very good, they are willing to help their employees and I find they are quite understanding towards their workers. My personal encounters with management are always positive, they're very supportive. They are hiring a new DOC however, so we'll see how that affects the home. Workplace culture can be intense at times, but that's because of the job. Most employees get along really well, team work is a must you need to get along because your job demands it. Hardest part of the job is the whole job itself and the government expectations of what we're required to do. Usually short staffed on every shift at GPH and it's a very high-demand job. Most enjoyable part I suppose is making a difference in someone's life, if you can appreciate the silver lining in that at the sacrifice of your sanity. Overall GPH is a great place to work but the job is hard. Also I forgot to mention it is the only non-unionized home in Barrie, which also has it's pros and cons.

Great Facility

Enjoyed working at this facility. Great staffing ratio, lovely management team and welcoming nursing staff. Overall a great working environment for PSW's

Good Job great people

A typical day at work included lots of laughs amongst co-workers, PSW's and residents of the home. My job consisted of cleaning, making plates, and making them presentable, moving at a fast pace and succumbing to the needs of the residents. The job required a lot of multitasking and communication skills. Management was great, my boss was awesome, very easy to get along with, helped work around my life and schedule when making my monthly schedule.

Getting in touch with the residents

I always say to myself that I am easily disheartened seeing old people seeking help but in my experience at the facility I was able to understand deeply their situation and that helping them is not a mere act of just giving help to them but also "nurturing" them day by day.

Great learning environment, excellent staff

Grove Park was an excellent place to work. The staff were all very skilled, helpful, and friendly. Overall a wonderful experience.

Pros

Great Support

Cons

Working short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grove Park Home. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement