Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews
busy atmosphere but fun place to work. great staff and management to help out when needed. a lot of things they offer that the staff can take advantage of. Skiing, hiking trails as an example.
Pros
free lunch, benefits
Cons
I love this mountain & atmosphere. Blessed to have been apart of this environment for 18 months of my Canadian journey!
Highly recommend to family, friends or locals :)
A place full of like minded individuals, where everyone is there to have a good time. the benefits of this position are amazing, including a free pass to the mountain.
Work can be rough, main focus on the mountain was making money but it's now been sold so hopefully that changes. Good people all around on hill, especially on lifts/mountain crew, mountain adventures in summer. Pay is average for a resort job, and the sups are usually on your side. Every job has it's things but folks stick around here for a reason. Hours get cut a lot in shoulder, like anywhere but it's not a bad place to be
Great culture to work for, management is supportive of my development as a ski instructor.

Cons - sometimes you have to wait for work since it is hourly and demand based.
Great friendly people, would 100% recommend working up there. Tons of benefits and you will never get bored while on shift no matter what you end up getting hired for. They respond quick to their emails, always have an answer to your questions, and is just a great place to meet new people and friends.
The Managers manage properly and fairly, but are regulated by out of touch owners.

A typical days work for my position was difficult, but not impossible. Labor intensive work in adverse conditions.

The workplace rarely was concerned with teaching new skills to their employees, regardless of how much one would push to learn.

Typical mountain resort culture. Mixed with the high pressure to work harder when others had slacked.

The only reason someone should take this position, or work at grouse in general, is for the perks. the ability to snowboard every day was the saving grace of this workplace.
Pros
free ski pass
Cons
toxic work environment
A very special place to work, lots of great local community , and a great view!
Learned a lot about maintaining large working equipment inventory for skis and snowboards, and learned to work with smaller children in my experience, and train the staff
Pros
Great view
Cons
Do not get stuck on top when its windy and the gondola is closed
The community here is great. The benefits are pretty good. The pay is above always a good amount above minimum wage. I have to write more to fill the space.
Pros
Discounts, above average wage, community
Cons
I don't know. Maybe the tram
As my first place of employment I found I was able to learn all customer service skills that I have taken with me to every other job. Additionally, the community on the mountain was inclusive and always kind.
Pros
Great community within co-workers.
Cons
Long hours and extremely taxing when busy.
Very young staff in Lupins cafeteria, and the chefs only care about how much you can produce as fast as you can. Your shifts are constantly split if you have a culinary experience, between banquets and functions. This is great when it is slow but horrible when busy and pulling a 12 hour day with no break. If you one of the more reliable people you'll always be the one they call in (10 days straight)
Pros
Free skiing and Boarding, skating and the lumberjack show
Cons
Long hours, tram ride that your not paid for
Enjoyed my time there as i got to ski for my job. Money wasnt the best but the people made it worth while. Would recommend this mountain to others as it was super close to the city
Pros
people
Cons
no staff accom
I loved working at Grouse, it was such a cool place to be. The views are beautiful and the people are super friendly! The hardest part was leaving because I loved it so much!
Pros
Beautiful views, fresh air
Cons
Super busy, noisy atmosphere
Everyday I come to work I have a smile on my face. I absolutely love working as a camp leader. Our management team are so friendly, hard working, supportive and are always there with positive feedback. It's a great learning through doing environment. Both our manager and supervisors are wonderful and are very inclusive. Grouse Mountain overall is also just as wonderful. Everyone looks so relaxed and cheery. They accept you for who you are and it's the first time since co,ing to Canada I truly feel at home.
Pros
The wonderful management team, working outdoors and teaching, benefits like ziplining
Cons
Not a thing
worked for several months and made lots of great friends and enjoyed every minute. get lots of benefits like free food %40 discount on clothes and also one free go of every activity they had on the mountain
great I would love to keep working there.
Great people and community.

good hours flexible.

wish I could stay all year.

made great friends.

wish they had more jobs
its very fun place to work and very nice view on north Vancouver
not very good pay and work load is alot

far to travel for me and not good public transportation
I loved having the opportunity to work for Grouse Mountain, it is an inclusive and fun work-place that encouraged growth and positive energy at all times. While working there, I had the opportunity to build on my leadership skills while loving every day of work. Great jobs are the ones that feel like home, and Grouse was just that.
Pros
great co-workers and management, fun work environment, ability to grow and learn
Cons
Distance/Commute
The work day was filled with meeting new people and creating the best experience for the customer. Safety was the paramount concern while dealing with visitors/tourists. The most enjoyable aspect about the job is meeting new people and working outside. The hardest part of the job was commuting to and from work.
Pros
Long lunches
Grouse is a fun place to work with the majority of staff being fun and welcoming people. Great for anyone travelling or part time students.
Pros
Social, great views
Cons
low pay
Every day I would come in, and get straight to work, sweeping the floor, helping the earlier shift catch up or assisting the chefs in whatever task they need done. I worked like that right up until end shift or closing. Thinking back, the work itself wasn't all that bad, stressful at times, fun being on the move constantly is good for the brain.

I learned about spacial relations, and being a part of a team to get one end goal.

The management was quite honestly terrible. Not a single one of the upper chefs cared about the dishwashers, or cared when they spoke up about issues. In fact, one of them would encourage harassment onto me, getting people to hit me over the head with metal objects.

The co-workers came and went, the people who stayed there a long time went a little stir crazy with the kitchens atmosphere.

The hardest part of the job was keeping a smile on my face, knowing that some of the worst kinds of people where there. The most enjoyable part of the job was working hard.
Pros
pay is alright, free food.
Cons
terrible management