Grouse Mountain logo
Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Fun place to work with great support

busy atmosphere but fun place to work. great staff and management to help out when needed. a lot of things they offer that the staff can take advantage of. Skiing, hiking trails as an example.

Pros

free lunch, benefits

Poor Management, Doesn't Care About Employees

I worked here for a couple of years and the management went downhill throughout. I only stayed as I loved the people I worked with. They do not care about their employees and their mental health. If you speak up for what you believe, they will shut you down and try to weed you out. Or if they like an idea of yours they will take it as their own and not give you credit.They need to better train their managers to deal with certain situations and they need to be more understanding of their employees needs. They also need to find better qualified management, especially in the higher up, director and manager positions. Only thing it has going for it is has going for it is the views. You can find a better place to work where you will be valued and appreciated, and a place with better pay that is more of a livable wage for here in Vancouver.

Pros

Free Pass, Views

Cons

Poor Management, Pay, Undervalue Employees

Great Team

The people I worked with were some of my favorite people in the world. It was a super fun work environment. Plus the work itself was a blast and had lots of great benefits

Pros

Great benefits, great team, free skiing

Cons

Hours depend on amount of customers and the weather

Fun work place with very friendly staff

You get to spend everyday mostly out in nature. The staff are very friendly and easy to make friends. Overall a very welcoming environment where everyone is treated equally.

Good place for casual, part time, relaxed work

• Good coworkers • Good managers • Good benefits for accessing the resort • Peak seasons get very difficult and stressful but it is very possible to get through. I personally enjoyed working there in the summer months much more than the winter months.

Pros

Access to resort benefits

Cons

Really busy peak season

Management Issues in Base Operations

When I worked there, I had 2-5 different people in charge of me at any time. Due to a lack of communication between these supervisors, my assigned tasks were a mess. I often would be told to be in two places at once, or was given no direction. Upon requesting a task, I would be told to change garbage bins and stock the bathrooms around the base of the mountain. Unfortunately, the other 4 people working with me would also be told the same thing and the "busy work" that we were given would be finished quickly. The biggest problem for me however was that they simply could not communicate effectively enough when you asked for time off from one of your supervisors. Because they all managed the schedule, another one would schedule you to be at work simply because a different supervisor didn't tell any of this coworkers when you had requested it off in advance.

A fun and fast paced place to work

A busy workplace where you get to meet people from all over the world. It has good benefits, such as free skiing in winter and access to attractions. Good training.

My favourite mountain

I love this mountain & atmosphere. Blessed to have been apart of this environment for 18 months of my Canadian journey! Highly recommend to family, friends or locals :)

Fun work environment

A place full of like minded individuals, where everyone is there to have a good time. the benefits of this position are amazing, including a free pass to the mountain.

Good job, management depends but they just got sold it can only get better

Work can be rough, main focus on the mountain was making money but it's now been sold so hopefully that changes. Good people all around on hill, especially on lifts/mountain crew, mountain adventures in summer. Pay is average for a resort job, and the sups are usually on your side. Every job has it's things but folks stick around here for a reason. Hours get cut a lot in shoulder, like anywhere but it's not a bad place to be

Jobs at Grouse Mountain

See more jobs

Great work place to work for - great team - supportive!

Great culture to work for, management is supportive of my development as a ski instructor. Cons - sometimes you have to wait for work since it is hourly and demand based.

Fast paced, friendly coworkers, easy to get the hang of things and learn how everything works.

Great friendly people, would 100% recommend working up there. Tons of benefits and you will never get bored while on shift no matter what you end up getting hired for. They respond quick to their emails, always have an answer to your questions, and is just a great place to meet new people and friends.

Would not recommend

The Managers manage properly and fairly, but are regulated by out of touch owners. A typical days work for my position was difficult, but not impossible. Labor intensive work in adverse conditions. The workplace rarely was concerned with teaching new skills to their employees, regardless of how much one would push to learn. Typical mountain resort culture. Mixed with the high pressure to work harder when others had slacked. The only reason someone should take this position, or work at grouse in general, is for the perks. the ability to snowboard every day was the saving grace of this workplace.

Pros

free ski pass

Cons

toxic work environment

Grouse Mountain Res.

Grouse Mountain is a great start up company if you are young and wanting to get some Guest Services experience. The staff turn around is huge and if they want to keep staff I believe they should pay better. Management are friendly and so are co-workers. Amazing place to work especially if you are on a working holiday visa.

Fun place to work and always busy!

You are always on your feet and staying busy. Great potential to make good money but long hours (sometimes 12 hour days). People are great and so is management!

Fun and great perks

I didn't work here long but loved every day that I worked. Awesome benefits if you like being and playing outdoors. Great staff, kind and compassionate management that also knows what they're doing. Definitely would recommend.

Fun workplace, with access challenges (tram)

Erratic hours, no job security, often get abused by annual pass holders. Fun environment though, I liked most of the people I worked with. I saw and experienced some unfair treatment, mostly favouritism.

Pros

Mountain pass

Cons

Weather dependent job security

grouse mountain

A very special place to work, lots of great local community , and a great view! Learned a lot about maintaining large working equipment inventory for skis and snowboards, and learned to work with smaller children in my experience, and train the staff

Pros

Great view

Cons

Do not get stuck on top when its windy and the gondola is closed

Great place

The community here is great. The benefits are pretty good. The pay is above always a good amount above minimum wage. I have to write more to fill the space.

Pros

Discounts, above average wage, community

Cons

I don't know. Maybe the tram

Fun workplace with an incredible view

Honestly Grouse Mountain is an incredible place to work. The people are friendly and supportive of your development. It is super hard to get a raise tho and you really need to fight for it.

Pros

Free Food and Free pass of the mountain

Cons

Long hours and not a lot of recognition

If you're only there because of the snowboarding and partyin, this is the job for you. If not...

Perks are ok and unlimited riding when not working, patrol and maintenance guys are cool to chat with. That's about all that's good. Pay isn't great at all if you're a solid worker, if all you do is sit in the hut, then pay is good. If you are a hard worker, you won't get recognised for it, but if you party the hardest with everyone, you can get away with just about anything there. Upper management say they run thorough investigations of work place incidents but it's more of a deal-with-it-ASAP and sweep-it-under-the-rug procedure. Supervisors ride around all day and take 100 lunch and snack breaks, then tell you to use the bush if they have to cover one of your toilet breaks. Employees spread rumours and talk behind your back. Can't clock in as soon as you arrive at the mountain so you usually waste about 15-20 minutes of pay just getting to your operations office that's halfway across the mountain - even if you show up in full uniform and your still expected to help guests. I might be biased but I did not enjoy my experience working for Grouse.

Pros

Unlimited skiing/snowboarding

Cons

Everything else about the job/company