Grimshaw Trucking Employee Reviews

Busy but great to work at.
Deck Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2019
As Dispatcher, you have to be ready for change at all times. Making sure communication is open with your workmates as well as with the drivers, which is the way Grimshaw runs. They have a wonderful group of workers in all departments. The hardest part of the job is that when you are busy - you may have to put in some overtime. I truly enjoyed working at Grimshaw and all the employees.
Pros
Good group of people to work with
Cons
Can have long hours occasionally
Great place to work, really feels like your working in a team and not against eachother. Very easygoing
Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB22 February 2019
Grimshaw makes you feel like your a part of the family. The pay is good, and you are always guaranteed 40 hours a week. This place has a great work/life balance.
Pros
Very adaptable
Cons
With claiming benefits you have to pay first then send in to get reimbursed
All good
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB22 November 2018
Hauling and delivery of freight between Grande Prairie, Fort Saint John and Edmonton. Hauled pipe for various activities. Also gained Super B experience.
overall an okay place to work.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2018
A typical day at work is okay,. They do not train you properly, as I would expect a big company to train an employee. The management was okay. The hardest part of the job was knowing when to enter the proper documents.
Pros
union
Cons
not enough training
Love my job
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  High prairie22 March 2018
I was the best in the bussines I can do a very good job at whatever I set my mind to and trying to get back into the work place after I bit of a year off am ready to head back to work now
Hated It
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2018
Horrible place, management sucks, favoritism, will never ever work for this company again. They don’t know how to train their employees, they don’t take the time to teach new employees.
Pros
Cons
Management sucks
Thankless
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 December 2017
The work is decent. Not overly demanding ( for this type of work). Pay is reasonable (nothing spectacular, but not bad). Benefits are good. Front line coworkers are mostly pretty good to work with. Much like the employees, equipment is run down and poorly taken care of, often to the point of being unsafe. Upper management are ineffective, disconnected, and lacking in direction. Lower managers are hired based on their willingness to kiss up. At no point will you be given the impression that you are valued, or your work appreciated, because you aren't. Employees are treated like any other piece of equipment: invest the absolute minimum to take care of it, use it until there's nothing left, then replace it as cheaply as possible.
Pros
Benefits, pension.
Cons
Uncaring, often clueless management.
Poor communication and organization
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2017
A revolving door of city dispatchers . Very poor communication betwern drivers and dispatch ( people net ) onboard computer. Need a huge shake up in management. The parent company should take a serious look at their long term managers around there. The same mistakes everyday that cost the company a lot of money. Long term managers have had ample opportunity to correct these problems if they were capable.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Poorly managed and organized
Temp Job
Temporary Summer Billing Relief Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2017
I worked for Grimshaw as a temp biller for the summer. fast paced, decent wages but temporary only. Not a lot of permanent staff so advancement is slim
Inexperienced management team taking off in a poor direction
City P&D Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
A good example of a company that was solid for years, that hit harder economic times, and then has had no real idea how to solve that besides low cost choices. Since a new management team took over, decisions are suspect and are making things difficult to thrive at when you become a long term employee.
Small work environment, Great co workers
Heavy Transport Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
Typical day is comfortable, as long as your getting your work done you pretty much left alone.

Iv'e learned advanced repair techniques as parts are mostly now no longer available due to the extreme age of there fleet.

The worst managed company I have ever seen to date, Your ideas and opinions mean nothing to them, and they will do absolutely nothing for you.

Work place culture is average, the crew gets along great but, the management treats you like complete garbage, you are nothing more than an expendable number.

The shop and the equipment they work on is ancient and sometimes you are asked to perform impossible tasks due to the major lack in updated and proper tooling, Try and explain that to management and it will be immediately disregarded.

The shop floor crew is extremely welcoming and friendly, they provide a family like atmosphere, there have been some really good times working together.
Pros
Small work environment
Cons
Management blows worse than an F5 tornado
Consistent work from an ok company
Pickup and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Fox Creek, AB14 February 2017
Wages could have been better. Year round work. My immediate bosses were excellent. The company seemed to have management challenges.
Pros
Consistent, year round employment.
Cons
Some days were really demanding physically.
Yellowknife Run was awesome
Team Drivers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2016
We really enjoyed our job at Grimshaw and especially the run to Yellowknife. We pulled Rocky Mountain Doubles.
The company has issues with getting their trucks repaired in a timely manner and in fact, that is why we lost our job. The truck we were driving was not going to make it through the winter due to poor maintenance and they did not have the capital to buy a new one so our job was moved to an owner operator.
Pros
Good wages, excellent benefits, regular days off, great dispatchers who actually care about the drivers
Cons
Union environment, poor maintenance of equipment
Grimshaw Trucking LP
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
This is a company in a state of flux that does not have the support of its parent company. The transportation software used in the offices is cumbersome and is built against workflow. The company is not fairing as well as it could even in the current economy due to reliance on these ill fitting computer programs and disconnects between departments. There have been interpersonal issues arise without the backing of a strong human resources department to solve such issues. The union inside the company takes knowledge from both sides to comply correctly. The people are friendly and the building is well kept.
Pros
Clean Building, Friendly Workers, Steady Business
Cons
Long Hours, Clashing Attitudes
mentally and physically taxing environment
senior linehaul driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
years of late loads nothing done to correct this on distant destinations this forces drivers to not take breaks other than mandated intertrip inspections outlying terminals are mad when their freight is always late which creates stress between them and drivers never ending management rotation and change results in change and constant flux with new managers always trying to leave their mark this has shown to be both a short and long term detriment on staff and the abillity of the company to retain staff and customers
Pros
modern equipment
Cons
never a good enviroment between labor and managment
how i feel about my job
Class 1 P&D driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2016
I have learned a lot in the past of how to operate a truck in a safe manner, The most enjoyable part of my day is see a smile on the face of the customer when the job is done .
Enjoyable work enviornment
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2015
Good place to work, people were nice, most of the managment were nice, but were not always clear with what they wanted from you.
Delivery Truck Driver
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC6 July 2015
Truck driver tasked with delivery of food, dangerous goods, oilfield supply and residential shipments. All my deliveries were on time and undamaged. I was lead hand at the shop and took over control of all operations when the manager was unavailable. Responsible to keep trucks and machinery well maintained and in good running condition.
I work with grimshaw as an unloader
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta11 February 2015
I was a nice experience with working Grimshaw Trucking but unfortunately I didn't last that long because Keyano called me up and telling me I was accepted as in a power engineer Co-op. People at Grimshaw at friendly and supportive. they will give you a chance to learn different kind of things that you were interested of.
I have seen a lot of trucking companies operate over the course of my duties. That is how I know that Grimshaw is a cut above many of them.
Peofessional Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2015
Grimshaw was like my second home. I have made numerous lifelong friends there. I got along with almost everyone and can even boast of having the President of Grimshaw as a facebook friend as well as numerous others.
Over the years I have seen the company grow from a smaller company to a professional outfit who emphasize safety and training for all their employees. Trucks were maintained in top shape as soon as I would write a work order. I would not have stayed there 37 years otherwise as I am big on safety and will not drive a truck that I deem to be unsafe.