GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES

Clear
4.1Pay & benefits

Insights into GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

small hospital

Small town, a small hospital, everyone knows everyone. the hospital staff is positive, management is stretched thin as they are dealing with all rural sites. There is room for growth as long as you have done your dues. Everything is based of off seniority. Seniority is calculated on the hours you work. ie more hours more seniority.

Opportunities for improvement

While GBHS offers a comfortable salary for the region the toxic culture perpetuated by a dysfunctional senior administration team will allow for only sub par performance and talent to limp it forward.

Pros

Salary

Cons

The type of place you will want to work at until you retire

When I first started working here I could tell, from speaking with other staff, that this is type of work place people stick with. I quickly learned why: great people, fair hours, more than fair compensation, room to grow and advance, and excellent management. I was able to improve my own skill set as well as make changes to improve regular processes in my role due to having the best management any employee could wish for. I was always encouraged to learn and grow and I consider my short time here to be the best job I have ever worked.

Wage and benefits are very good for the area, workplace culture not so much

The work at GBHS is rewarding and plentiful. Too plentiful in fact. Projects are not well managed and the workload is not dispersed evenly. That means that some employees are overwhelmed with work while others are looking for something to do. Because there is no on call schedule in some departments, the expectation is that you will answer calls any time of the day, any day of the week. The culture that is projected by management is that the place is on the brink of collapse and anyone's job could be on the chopping block, so employees don't feel secure. Advancement is reserved for friends and family. I was not a front-line staff member, so the culture there could be completely different than it is in the business support departments.

Pros

Great wage/benefits, challenging and rewarding work

Cons

The culture needs to be addressed

Management Issues

GBHS has habit of hiring supervisors/managers with very little previous experience resulting in micromanaging employees and limited ability to communicate effectively with their employees. Managers also earn bonuses when they save employer money throughout the year which misplaces their priorities. This employer also has actual control over short term disability benefits and has on many occasions withheld funds until an employee has been forced to return to work even with medical evidence supporting employee. Due to the size of the employer, the union has little ability to help without filing grievances which can take years to reconcile.

Stressful

Duties are good and rural sites are great. Take promises with a grain of salt, you will be fine if you’re liked, union caters to management, and good luck with the schedule if you have a family...they don’t actually care if you do.

Pros

Wages, benefits

Cons

Scheduling, attitudes

Good place to work, management is good, multi hospital cooperation, interesting workplace, a lot of different jobs, paying for parking is not good, many people care there

Pros

union position

laundry, dietary and housekeeping

enjoyed working with patients, Input menus from patients into computer.co workers were great except in laundry.loved working in dietary and housekeeping. Made many friends,

Pros

wonderful benefits

Excellent work environment, Helpful co-workers

Working here is a great opportunity for learning, co-workers are always willing to help and share their knowledge. I have learned to be more productive by always looking for something to do, enhanced my time management skills, enhanced my social and interpersonal skills and receiving good feedbacks from co-workers.

Pros

lunch and learns, flexible time schedules

Cons

far from home and family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement