GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES

GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

I Feel Like a Member of the Familly .

The work place is very warm and welcoming. On my unit staff work together to find solutions to problems if they should arise. We alllow differences in opinion and work styles.

Your just a NUMBER

Old manager was TOXIC - your just a number to GBHS - you don’t matter and your always replaceable and that’s how they treat their employees. Unionized workplace and they don’t fight for their employees. It’s a “catty” place to work!

small hospital

Small town, a small hospital, everyone knows everyone. the hospital staff is positive, management is stretched thin as they are dealing with all rural sites. There is room for growth as long as you have done your dues. Everything is based of off seniority. Seniority is calculated on the hours you work. ie more hours more seniority.

Transcription Team

I work as a transcriptionist and the work atmosphere is wonderful! Hours are balanced for life at home as well! Our manager is one of a kind! The work is not stressful at all other than the workload but we will get there! We have some long winders

Opportunities for improvement

While GBHS offers a comfortable salary for the region the toxic culture perpetuated by a dysfunctional senior administration team will allow for only sub par performance and talent to limp it forward.

Pros

Salary

Professional and positive environment

I enjoy working with the nurses and the public. Everyday is different and fast paced. I've been able to expand my knowledge and develop numerous skills with working in the medical field.

The type of place you will want to work at until you retire

When I first started working here I could tell, from speaking with other staff, that this is type of work place people stick with. I quickly learned why: great people, fair hours, more than fair compensation, room to grow and advance, and excellent management. I was able to improve my own skill set as well as make changes to improve regular processes in my role due to having the best management any employee could wish for. I was always encouraged to learn and grow and I consider my short time here to be the best job I have ever worked.

Wage and benefits are very good for the area, workplace culture not so much

The work at GBHS is rewarding and plentiful. Too plentiful in fact. Projects are not well managed and the workload is not dispersed evenly. That means that some employees are overwhelmed with work while others are looking for something to do. Because there is no on call schedule in some departments, the expectation is that you will answer calls any time of the day, any day of the week. The culture that is projected by management is that the place is on the brink of collapse and anyone's job could be on the chopping block, so employees don't feel secure. Advancement is reserved for friends and family. I was not a front-line staff member, so the culture there could be completely different than it is in the business support departments.

Pros

Great wage/benefits, challenging and rewarding work

Cons

The culture needs to be addressed

Fosters Learning

Volunteered as a student with the diabetes department and learned a lot about dietetics in the filed of diabetes education. Spent time learning about inpatient and outpatient care, making educational communications and observing consultations.

Management Issues

GBHS has habit of hiring supervisors/managers with very little previous experience resulting in micromanaging employees and limited ability to communicate effectively with their employees. Managers also earn bonuses when they save employer money throughout the year which misplaces their priorities. This employer also has actual control over short term disability benefits and has on many occasions withheld funds until an employee has been forced to return to work even with medical evidence supporting employee. Due to the size of the employer, the union has little ability to help without filing grievances which can take years to reconcile.

Stressful

Duties are good and rural sites are great. Take promises with a grain of salt, you will be fine if you’re liked, union caters to management, and good luck with the schedule if you have a family...they don’t actually care if you do.

Pros

Wages, benefits

Cons

Scheduling, attitudes

Good place to work, management is good, multi hospital cooperation, interesting workplace, a lot of different jobs, paying for parking is not good, many people care there

Pros

union position

Good overall work experience

I haven't worked at other hospital organizations in Ontario, but I think Grey Bruce Health Services is a good place to work. I like my colleagues, management is pretty good. BUT, I'm not a nurse and can't speak to that work experience. I've worked in Support Services roles and they were good, just not roles in which career advancement is really possible.

ok

Management were one sided, didn't listen. Had friends who they catered to, and punished people who weren't friends twisted contract to suit their needs couldn't get ahead unless you were a friend or relative some staff were bully's and they weren't addressed causing undue stress on employees

Pros

wage was good

Cons

never dealt with conflict or problems

Great Place to work

All my coworkers are lovely ladies, working environment is good and comfortable Always willing to accommodate Friendly, cheerful, outgoing, pleasant

great staff!

This was my first nursing job after graduation and the staff welcomed me with open arms! It was a great work environment for a new grad. The staff provided help and assistance and worked well as a team!

Pros

staff

Cons

i lived in Barrie - commuting was not fun

fast paced and can be very demanding at times

To much to list. A lot of things are done in this dept. Hard to list a typical day .

Pros

Not bad pay

Cons

most people in the hospial have no idea what we do

laundry, dietary and housekeeping

enjoyed working with patients, Input menus from patients into computer.co workers were great except in laundry.loved working in dietary and housekeeping. Made many friends,

Pros

wonderful benefits

Cons

Good place to learn lots of new things and meet new people

As a CO-OP student, I didn't have the authority to do a lot of stuff, but I cleaned out waste bins, and sanitized the examination rooms after patients had left. I took vital signs on patients, and brought up patient's x-rays on the computers in the rooms.

Excellent work environment, Helpful co-workers

Working here is a great opportunity for learning, co-workers are always willing to help and share their knowledge. I have learned to be more productive by always looking for something to do, enhanced my time management skills, enhanced my social and interpersonal skills and receiving good feedbacks from co-workers.

Pros

lunch and learns, flexible time schedules

Cons

far from home and family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement