GREY BRUCE HEALTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

Management Issues
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON28 March 2018
GBHS has habit of hiring supervisors/managers with very little previous experience resulting in micromanaging employees and limited ability to communicate effectively with their employees.

Managers also earn bonuses when they save employer money throughout the year which misplaces their priorities.

This employer also has actual control over short term disability benefits and has on many occasions withheld funds until an employee has been forced to return to work even with medical evidence supporting employee. Due to the size of the employer, the union has little ability to help without filing grievances which can take years to reconcile.
Stressful
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON15 January 2018
Duties are good and rural sites are great. Take promises with a grain of salt, you will be fine if you’re liked, union caters to management, and good luck with the schedule if you have a family...they don’t actually care if you do.
Pros
Wages, benefits
Cons
Scheduling, attitudes
Good overall work experience
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON23 May 2017
I haven't worked at other hospital organizations in Ontario, but I think Grey Bruce Health Services is a good place to work. I like my colleagues, management is pretty good. BUT, I'm not a nurse and can't speak to that work experience. I've worked in Support Services roles and they were good, just not roles in which career advancement is really possible.
ok
RN Student (Former Employee) –  owen sound1 April 2017
Management were one sided, didn't listen. Had friends who they catered to, and punished people who weren't friends
twisted contract to suit their needs
couldn't get ahead unless you were a friend or relative
some staff were bully's and they weren't addressed causing undue stress on employees
Pros
wage was good
Cons
never dealt with conflict or problems
Great Place to work
Registration Clerk - Wiarton Site (Current Employee) –  Wiarton, ON10 March 2017
All my coworkers are lovely ladies, working environment is good and comfortable

Always willing to accommodate

Friendly, cheerful, outgoing, pleasant
great staff!
Registered Nurse, Women & Child Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON1 January 2017
This was my first nursing job after graduation and the staff welcomed me with open arms! It was a great work environment for a new grad. The staff provided help and assistance and worked well as a team!
Pros
staff
Cons
i lived in Barrie - commuting was not fun
fast paced and can be very demanding at times
SPD Aide (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON11 November 2014
To much to list. A lot of things are done in this dept. Hard to list a typical day .
Pros
Not bad pay
Cons
most people in the hospial have no idea what we do
laundry, dietary and housekeeping
Laundry Technician/ Dietary clerk and housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON15 October 2014
enjoyed working with patients, Input menus from patients into computer.co workers were great except in laundry.loved working in dietary and housekeeping. Made many friends,
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
Good place to learn lots of new things and meet new people
Patient Helper (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON2 August 2014
As a CO-OP student, I didn't have the authority to do a lot of stuff, but I cleaned out waste bins, and sanitized the examination rooms after patients had left. I took vital signs on patients, and brought up patient's x-rays on the computers in the rooms.
Excellent work environment, Helpful co-workers
Medical Laboratory Technologist- Core Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON15 December 2012
Working here is a great opportunity for learning, co-workers are always willing to help and share their knowledge. I have learned to be more productive by always looking for something to do, enhanced my time management skills, enhanced my social and interpersonal skills and receiving good feedbacks from co-workers.
Pros
lunch and learns, flexible time schedules
Cons
far from home and family.