Greater Vancouver Community Services Society

Greater Vancouver Community Services Society Employee Reviews

Not enough hours
Home support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambie21 July 2019
This job is only good for a partimer or retired people who only need few hrs .. they don’t have enough hrs for casual .. your lucky if you’ve got 5 hrs for the day or if you open your windows for 16 hrs but your going to spend money on Starbucks while killing time .. because it has gap in between your shift .. especially if your just busing..
Pros
Cons
No long hrs perfect for retired people
I love the freedom that we have.
Community Health Worker (Home Support) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 July 2019
I love working in this company and the field that I am right now. I have the independence and be able to make my own decision on any unforseen circumstances.
challenging,fun and great company to work with
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 September 2018
when working with this company sometimes its challenging but its fun i've learned lot of things with different people,behaviors and cultures everyday but its a great company.
GVCSS is one of the best home care agency in town!!!!!!
Community Health Worker II (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 July 2018
They have a great management team, who always puts clients' needs and front-line workers' well-being first.

Supervisors are easily reachable with patience and understanding. They solve issues quickly with workers, case managers, and families.

Those discounted/free little things, such as non-slip shoe spikes and flashlights in the cold dark winter, can warm your heart for year long.

Schedule and hours may not be as good as shift work at facilities, but it is way above average home care agencies. The positive side is we can choose a highly personalized availability, and can have fixed days off.
It was a good company where they provided a lot of training in order to provide good quality of care to the clients
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 May 2018
I worked with greater vancouver community services for 3 years. I have fixed days off and get more hours. Scheduling was not that great but you can easily talk to supervisor and they understand your situation. I probably still work with this company if i am not moving out of town. Good starting salary and if you accumulate certain hours you will be eligible to contribute with municipal pension plan and the company will contribute too. Thank you for the great opportunity you have given me.
Pros
Lots of training provided
Cons
Scheduling is not good
Rewarding job but the a few supervisors play politics
CHW (Current Employee) –  BC27 December 2017
The management team is not as productive as frontlines. The management is old fashion and bureaucratic, so communication line is closed. Scheduling is not efficient because some supervisors assign more hours to favored workers rather than seniority and performance of workers. They might make a minor change until receiving strong complaints.
Pros
Union and municipal pension plan
Cons
Not a career job
the management is awful
Home Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 July 2017
they will ask for your input and then not listen to you.
there is also no room for advancement. Head office workers are unionized and there is no raises or steps up. the max salary you can make is 22$/hr. go elsewhere if you want to grow professionally. the work is too stressful,. It is not a place where you can work and go home. you often stay late to get work done. Also you take your work home every night. One of the worst places I have ever worked. No support at all from management.
Cons
long hours. extremely stressful.
great homes with amazing clients
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2016
So far, I have enjoyed my time with GVCSS. I mostly work in home support which is a little different than a group home. Typical day at work is I go to the office and talk to co-workers before I start my shift. I then head off to the client's apartment. While in the apartment, I start cooking food or initiate care routines.
If I am in a group home, I usually follow a routine which includes personal care, meal prep, therapies etc.
Pros
paid to go out for coffee, concerts, etc.
Cons
lots of work to do in short time.
great place to work with, supports their employees
Community Health Worker - Level II (Current Employee) –  1212 West Broadway, Vancouver BC3 December 2013
meeting different people/clients and have learned from them.
management is superb.
the hardest part of this job is the broken schedule.
enjoyable part is the clients i worked with
Pros
great management
Cons
broken hours/short hours of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greater Vancouver Community Services Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Greater Vancouver Community Services Society Reviews by Location