Great West Employee Review

Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ON17 September 2013
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company.
Pros
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons
people (I) felt very depreciated in this company.

Other Great West Employee Reviews

Would give this 0 stars if I could
Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 April 2018
I have had 4 managers in the past 10 months due to transformation. None of them care about my performance. If I make a mistake I am just told I messed up - not given help or resources to develop and learn and grow, despite asking for this. I am not asked about what happened, and if there are factors that are unknown. Employees are the last priority, behind customers, clients, advisors, and everyone else. I’ve never been treated like this in my career. I was barely trained, then left to my own devices. I can’t believe this is a multi billion dollar company.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management ruins a perfectly good job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
Great west life was a great place to work years ago but all the corporate downsizing and restructuring has allowed terrible leadership to work its way into the company.

They would rather harp about getting callers off the phone fast than actually helping people (IT issues should be fixed within 10 minutes or punted along to another team). They’ve created metrics that change month to month so that they always have something to ding you on in your monthly meetings with your manager and literally harass you if it takes you a minute too long to finish your notes after a call.

The best part of this job is hanging out with your coworkers after work so you can vent about how bad things are.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.