Great West Employee Review

A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba30 October 2013
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,
Pros
ISO Officers and Security Analyst meetings and discussions
Cons
Long hours of extra work in security site development

Other Great West Employee Reviews

Would give this 0 stars if I could
Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 April 2018
I have had 4 managers in the past 10 months due to transformation. None of them care about my performance. If I make a mistake I am just told I messed up - not given help or resources to develop and learn and grow, despite asking for this. I am not asked about what happened, and if there are factors that are unknown. Employees are the last priority, behind customers, clients, advisors, and everyone else. I’ve never been treated like this in my career. I was barely trained, then left to my own devices. I can’t believe this is a multi billion dollar company.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management ruins a perfectly good job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
Great west life was a great place to work years ago but all the corporate downsizing and restructuring has allowed terrible leadership to work its way into the company.

They would rather harp about getting callers off the phone fast than actually helping people (IT issues should be fixed within 10 minutes or punted along to another team). They’ve created metrics that change month to month so that they always have something to ding you on in your monthly meetings with your manager and literally harass you if it takes you a minute too long to finish your notes after a call.

The best part of this job is hanging out with your coworkers after work so you can vent about how bad things are.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.