Great West Employee Review

Former employee
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg20 January 2014
Just recently left GWL as a claims processor and a co-worker was let go due to not meeting expectations. Stress of meeting their expectations was too much. When they took my co-worker to another office to meet with HR to let her know the news, they packed up her desk and handed everything to her in a plastic garbage bag. Very classy. 3 weeks of training and god help you if you struggle when you hit the floor. Weekly meetings about how poorly you are doing but as you improve it doesn't matter. It still isn't what they expect.

Other Great West Employee Reviews

Would give this 0 stars if I could
Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 April 2018
I have had 4 managers in the past 10 months due to transformation. None of them care about my performance. If I make a mistake I am just told I messed up - not given help or resources to develop and learn and grow, despite asking for this. I am not asked about what happened, and if there are factors that are unknown. Employees are the last priority, behind customers, clients, advisors, and everyone else. I’ve never been treated like this in my career. I was barely trained, then left to my own devices. I can’t believe this is a multi billion dollar company.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management ruins a perfectly good job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
Great west life was a great place to work years ago but all the corporate downsizing and restructuring has allowed terrible leadership to work its way into the company.

They would rather harp about getting callers off the phone fast than actually helping people (IT issues should be fixed within 10 minutes or punted along to another team). They’ve created metrics that change month to month so that they always have something to ding you on in your monthly meetings with your manager and literally harass you if it takes you a minute too long to finish your notes after a call.

The best part of this job is hanging out with your coworkers after work so you can vent about how bad things are.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.