Great West Employee Reviews

potential employees beware!
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canada12 October 2018
Was warned when I started to not expect any raises. Best I ever got was 2%... Management has no loyalty to the employees, and they are protected by registering with the Labor Board as doing a "corporate restructure". What this means is that they could lay off skilled help that had been there for years so they could hire incompetent students for half the price. They let go a lot of very skilled techs, who mostly have gone to work for their competition for higher wages (so in that way it is a good thing). Will never deal with Power Corp again!

Beware... the company is actually GWL, London Life, Canada Life, Irish Life, Investors Group and MacKenzie Financial.
Pros
great health package
Cons
no respect for the employees, no loyalty to dedicated workers
Insurance: Group Benefits
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2018
Very conservative work environment
Can have the opportunity of a long career with this organization
There is opportunity for internal career movements
They really support continuous education
They support community involvement
Operates with minimal staff which causes high work load demands
The system resources could be more current
Coworkers support each other
Pros
work at home options
Cons
High work load expectations
Wouldn't go back
Payment Clerk, New Group Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 September 2018
I worked there when I was quite young and realized I had been taken advantage of by and overload of increasing responsibilities and titles but little to no compensation. I understand that was specific to my department, age and lack of education but I still believe I was mistreated.
Great work culture
Senior Hybris Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 September 2018
Journey has been great so far. Awesome team and very cool working environment.
Your ideas matter here and they are taken in a very posotive way.
Growth is there , if you you ask for it. As hybris developer I worked on several gwl projects that exposed me to different working environments and I have nothing against then as of now.
Work life/balance
Disability Benefit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2018
There is a full workload and it can at times be very stressful. Overall I think that this company does provide good benefits to their employees however management needs to have a clearer understanding of the day to day tasks that employees are expected to perform.

There are too many employees with not enough life experience.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work load expectations
Busy and enjoyable
Enrolment (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2018
Busy company - lots of work to keep employees busy. This does affect work life balance sometimes. I enjoy the atmosphere in the company. My experience with management is positive.
Terrible management, great coworkers
Group disability (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 August 2018
Training was not relevant to the actual job. You're thrown on the floor knowing nothing. From there you are told to ask questions to managers only, who answer them condescending leaving you feeling stupid.

Managers micromanage everything, creating a poor work environment. Management also seems to pick and choose which policies they will follow, and try and hide things from employees. There is definite favouritism and some people seem to be picked on more than others. Everyone is stressed and feels under pressure. A zero percent error rate is expected and targets are unrealistic.

Difficult to get time off. Poor work/life balance.

The only pros would be the on site cafeteria and Tim Hortons. benefits and the coworkers are all good people.

Overall: not worth the stress and mistreatment. People in other departments seem to enjoy their jobs so it might be isolated to this department.
Pros
Cafeteria, good coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Poor morale in working environment due to unsupportive management
Group Disability (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 August 2018
Best part are co workers as it makes the day go by faster. Cons- not being supported by management/ demanding expectations; poor communication between management and colleagues; fighting for time off; highly micro-managed. Low morale within department.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Stressful environment; demanding expectations; management
Very positive work culture
Computer operations (Former Employee) –  Head office13 August 2018
Management and coworkers very friendly and hard-working while keeping a light atmosphere. One is made to feel like a valued part of the company. Gwl is a good place to work.
Pros
The cafeteria
Cons
Some people play office politics.
Amazing workplace and people
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 August 2018
Everyone made you feel comfortable and welcomed when you're just starting out there. The work environment is great, management has very kind and amazing people.
Busy enviroment
Claim Examiner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2018
It's a busy and friendly place, we have a lot of social events. Coworkers are helping each other to meet the productivity and solved problem claims. Supervisor and assistant supervisor are always willing to help solved any issue.
Pros
Quarterly bonus
Cons
Overtime
Old fashioned, too much negativity, your efforts not appreciated
Claims Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2018
Old fashioned culture; too much paper and too many unnecessary little tasks that are compressed into a very stressful and chaotic day at work would leave you totally tired and exhausted. Management creates quite a demoralizing negative atmosphere while not appreciating staff efforts.
Pros
Location, benefits
Cons
Management; the overall outdated systems
Terrible company to work for
Administrative Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC4 July 2018
Mother always said if you had nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. So I cannot make this company feel proud of themselves. Refusal of training. Refusal of advancment. Refusal to keep a kind, understanding and respectful work environment. I will NEVER recommend a job for this company. So glad I got to leave.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Everything all at once
Bon Avantages
Relation à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 June 2018
L'environnement de travail n'est pas la premiere chose que l'on constate , mais les avantages et la gestion de la compagnie est tres tres bonne
Pros
Salaire, collations, cafe, avantage sociaux, compte bien etre
Cons
logiciel, environnement
Wonderful place to work
Sr. Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2018
GWL (Lifeco) is a wonderful place to work.
Lots of very bright people to work with.
A people centric management style.
Lots of training opportunities.
Pros
People centric management.
Cons
Like a bank, not a place where huge raises occur.
Good place to learn new QA technology
Senior QA Analyst, Automation Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
It is a good place for junior people to catch up the QA technologies and essential skills. Developers are easy going. Management is terrible, no strong technical background, no management skill, no team communications, no plan, no follow-up...
Pros
Good technical staff
Cons
Management is a disaster
High pressure, fast-paced environment, high expectations from management
Group Health and Dental (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
Poor work life balance. Unrealistic targets and expectations set on their employees. Unmanageable work volume. Lack of support from management. You are expected to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines without additional work time given.
Pros
Fitness center
Cons
High stress environment
Would give this 0 stars if I could
Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 April 2018
I have had 4 managers in the past 10 months due to transformation. None of them care about my performance. If I make a mistake I am just told I messed up - not given help or resources to develop and learn and grow, despite asking for this. I am not asked about what happened, and if there are factors that are unknown. Employees are the last priority, behind customers, clients, advisors, and everyone else. I’ve never been treated like this in my career. I was barely trained, then left to my own devices. I can’t believe this is a multi billion dollar company.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management ruins a perfectly good job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
Great west life was a great place to work years ago but all the corporate downsizing and restructuring has allowed terrible leadership to work its way into the company.

They would rather harp about getting callers off the phone fast than actually helping people (IT issues should be fixed within 10 minutes or punted along to another team). They’ve created metrics that change month to month so that they always have something to ding you on in your monthly meetings with your manager and literally harass you if it takes you a minute too long to finish your notes after a call.

The best part of this job is hanging out with your coworkers after work so you can vent about how bad things are.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible managers
Co workers are the best part
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2018
After working at company for 2 years I find that the best part of the job is your coworkers. This job can be fairly mental straining and have to be read to take a difficult callesr

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.