Great West Employee Reviews

Would give this 0 stars if I could
Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 April 2018
I have had 4 managers in the past 10 months due to transformation. None of them care about my performance. If I make a mistake I am just told I messed up - not given help or resources to develop and learn and grow, despite asking for this. I am not asked about what happened, and if there are factors that are unknown. Employees are the last priority, behind customers, clients, advisors, and everyone else. I’ve never been treated like this in my career. I was barely trained, then left to my own devices. I can’t believe this is a multi billion dollar company.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management ruins a perfectly good job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
Great west life was a great place to work years ago but all the corporate downsizing and restructuring has allowed terrible leadership to work its way into the company.

They would rather harp about getting callers off the phone fast than actually helping people (IT issues should be fixed within 10 minutes or punted along to another team). They’ve created metrics that change month to month so that they always have something to ding you on in your monthly meetings with your manager and literally harass you if it takes you a minute too long to finish your notes after a call.

The best part of this job is hanging out with your coworkers after work so you can vent about how bad things are.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible managers
Great place to work. Many team building activities, baseball, volleyball etc.
Investment and Retirement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Great-West Life a great place to work. Great work life balance. Excellent leadership, very much treated with respect and felt valued. Had opportunities to contribute to the community by way of volunteering to various causes.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, Fitness facility onstite
Cons
Parking was a bit costly
Great company to work
Payment Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2018
Great-West Life gives great opportunities to grow. The relationship between co-workers is based on leadership and trust.
Flexible work time with good salary and benefits.
Great place to work!
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 March 2018
Great entry level position at GWL. Atmosphere is wonderful and managers are incredible. Downfall is parking costs $111 per month and one year contract.
claim examiner
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 February 2018
The best part of this job were my co-workers.
The worst is upper management. Very stressful
They change procedures often, instead of 2 windows to find information changed to 5 (takes more time) they listen to outside consultants rather than their own workers who do the job.
You are not allowed a voice when something is unfair to workers.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
window of opportunity to get a good bonus is so small
Challenging work but made unbearable by favoritism
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2018
The work was challenging and kept challenging me hopping.

I would have stayed but my work ethic was my worst enemy.

Had a site supervisor who was afraid of women and two Female Shift Supervisors who played more than worked

Too many female employees wanted special treatment which my two managers gave them.

They slowly turned the site into a girls club and spent more time chatting and hanging out then actually working.

Not sexist just telling it like it was
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Cliques
Job life
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 February 2018
GreatWest Life is pretty decent. Nice people, fair management in general. The thing one needs to ask oneself is whether or not you can go to work day in / day out and give potentially bad news on tough situations. If the answer is yes and you can desensitize without difficultly, indefinitely, great!! If not, this may not by the career path for you........
Stale
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
Very easy to become stale in the environment... not a lot of encouragement from management to advance within the company, although there can be a lot of opportunities.

I was I an off site location, therefore not a lot of internal company opportunities presented until they were advertised.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management
Productive, fast paced print and mail centre
Print and Mail Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2018
A typical day at work includes running a high speed mail insertion machine in order to complete daily check runs and mail deadlines . Folding claim forms for mail insertion. Printing and balancing checks to be sent for mail insertion. I've learned many things over the years. Working with others or independently is something i'm comfortable and excel at. The hardest part of the job is the hours. I can no longer work overnights as I've been advised against this. Having to always work holidays is also a bummer although being paid OT for holidays isn't bad at all. The best part of the job was the fast paced nature. Days generally never dragged on as we were always focusing the task at hand,
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Overnight hours

Want to know more about Great West?

Ask a question
Excellent place for personnel growth
Inventory Managment Technician / JG3 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2018
I was in transition job status from factory helper to a record management technician , employer supported me and develop administration level skills which changed my career path.
Fast paced and competitive environment over all
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2018
I enjoyed my work experience at Great West, however it was only a 2month contract and I had to find a more stable job.

I learned so much when I was there and the opportunity to advance was vast as they have their own intranet where you can take courses at your free time.

It was fun!
JC
Pros
online free certificates
Cons
Fixed Monday to Friday
Fast paced work enviroment.
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 January 2018
I'm new to the company but they offer lots of support to new employees. They have a great benefit and incentive package for all employees. Staff and management are always willing to answer questions and want you to succeed.
Pros
Lots of support in the CRS position.
Cons
I had to sign a 2 year commitment to this particular job, so there is no advancement to other positions for two years.
Group Customer Contact Services call centre
CRS (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 December 2017
This department is responsible for answering inquiries from plan members and providers. I enjoy helping people understand their benefit coverage so like the work. All the managers have experience as reps so can help when escalated situations happen. Pay increases and quarterly bonus are based on how we perform, so if you make too many mistakes or are absent too much you won't get an increase/bonus . Those who complain about not getting a raise or a bonus know why they don't get one - they won't share on this form though. It's because of their personal performance. It's a call centre so we're expected to be logged on the phones when scheduled and take our breaks for the right amount of time. Believe me, your peers will notice if you don't pull your weight. It's a good place to work and most of those i work with do care about the client. There's good opportunity for advancement to other departments if you take advantage of the free courses that you can do on line or the $2000 education assistance program yearly. I just had 4
friends move onto new jobs! Lots of opportunities
Pros
3 weeks vacation, good benefits, higher than average pay for call centre, no weekends! No sales!
Cons
Open until 7pm, can be challenging situations to deal with
Highly segregated environment - contract workers treated with less respect and support
Escalation Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, Ontario22 November 2017
Managers and team leaders led without educating themselves about what their staffs' jobs entailed. Then, without benefit of that knowledge, make ridiculous changes that are unneeded and actually make the work situation worse.
Most of the team leaders have absolutely no experience as managers. It seems to be a "who you know" rather than a "what you know" situation.
Pros
Occasional team lunches - great Christmas loot
Cons
Management and too much gossip
Organised and competitive environment
Wholesaler/ Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 November 2017
I love working in a competitive environment that can stimulate my intelligence and creativity
I love a job that keep me intellectually active in development people to succeed in the financial industry
Pros
Discipline, integrity
Cons
routine
Diversified work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
I was able to be challenged and I was not always doing the same tasks everyday. I learned how to book appointments for claimants and set up claims for STD claims or LTD claims.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Nice place to work and nice people
Director, Group Business Technology Operations (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 October 2017
Overall GWL is a good place to work. This is a culture of team work and most people are friendly, helpful and want to do a good job. They are going through some significant change right now and so things might be a little confusing for the next couple of years but it will settle down.
A very productive department that I worked in with a very good work culture.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2017
My typical day was started by opening email to gauge what work took priority. There were a lot of email inquiries as well as work received through mail. There was a great rapport between everybody and help always provided to one another. The location allowed for us to go for walks along the river. We planned lunch potlucks and had a very good balance of work & fun. It was a very respectful work environment.
Pros
Location and choice of hours
Cons
Lots of work that required staying late in year end and beginning of year.
Poor Leadership
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
The culture needs to advance, there is too many people in leadership positions that do not want to advance. There is no room for career advancement until people retire.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.