Great West Employee Reviews

Amazing workplace and people
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 August 2018
Everyone made you feel comfortable and welcomed when you're just starting out there. The work environment is great, management has very kind and amazing people.
Busy enviroment
Claim Examiner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2018
It's a busy and friendly place, we have a lot of social events. Coworkers are helping each other to meet the productivity and solved problem claims. Supervisor and assistant supervisor are always willing to help solved any issue.
Pros
Quarterly bonus
Cons
Overtime
Old fashioned, too much negativity, your efforts not appreciated
Claims Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2018
Old fashioned culture; too much paper and too many unnecessary little tasks that are compressed into a very stressful and chaotic day at work would leave you totally tired and exhausted. Management creates quite a demoralizing negative atmosphere while not appreciating staff efforts.
Pros
Location, benefits
Cons
Management; the overall outdated systems
Terrible company to work for
Administrative Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC4 July 2018
Mother always said if you had nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. So I cannot make this company feel proud of themselves. Refusal of training. Refusal of advancment. Refusal to keep a kind, understanding and respectful work environment. I will NEVER recommend a job for this company. So glad I got to leave.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Everything all at once
Bon Avantages
Relation à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 June 2018
L'environnement de travail n'est pas la premiere chose que l'on constate , mais les avantages et la gestion de la compagnie est tres tres bonne
Pros
Salaire, collations, cafe, avantage sociaux, compte bien etre
Cons
logiciel, environnement
Wonderful place to work
Sr. Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2018
GWL (Lifeco) is a wonderful place to work.
Lots of very bright people to work with.
A people centric management style.
Lots of training opportunities.
Pros
People centric management.
Cons
Like a bank, not a place where huge raises occur.
Good place to learn new QA technology
Senior QA Analyst, Automation Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
It is a good place for junior people to catch up the QA technologies and essential skills. Developers are easy going. Management is terrible, no strong technical background, no management skill, no team communications, no plan, no follow-up...
Pros
Good technical staff
Cons
Management is a disaster
High pressure, fast-paced environment, high expectations from management
Group Health and Dental (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
Poor work life balance. Unrealistic targets and expectations set on their employees. Unmanageable work volume. Lack of support from management. You are expected to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines without additional work time given.
Pros
Fitness center
Cons
High stress environment
Would give this 0 stars if I could
Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 April 2018
I have had 4 managers in the past 10 months due to transformation. None of them care about my performance. If I make a mistake I am just told I messed up - not given help or resources to develop and learn and grow, despite asking for this. I am not asked about what happened, and if there are factors that are unknown. Employees are the last priority, behind customers, clients, advisors, and everyone else. I’ve never been treated like this in my career. I was barely trained, then left to my own devices. I can’t believe this is a multi billion dollar company.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Terrible management ruins a perfectly good job
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
Great west life was a great place to work years ago but all the corporate downsizing and restructuring has allowed terrible leadership to work its way into the company.

They would rather harp about getting callers off the phone fast than actually helping people (IT issues should be fixed within 10 minutes or punted along to another team). They’ve created metrics that change month to month so that they always have something to ding you on in your monthly meetings with your manager and literally harass you if it takes you a minute too long to finish your notes after a call.

The best part of this job is hanging out with your coworkers after work so you can vent about how bad things are.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible managers
Co workers are the best part
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2018
After working at company for 2 years I find that the best part of the job is your coworkers. This job can be fairly mental straining and have to be read to take a difficult callesr
Great place to work. Many team building activities, baseball, volleyball etc.
Investment and Retirement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Great-West Life a great place to work. Great work life balance. Excellent leadership, very much treated with respect and felt valued. Had opportunities to contribute to the community by way of volunteering to various causes.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, Fitness facility onstite
Cons
Parking was a bit costly
Great company to work
Payment Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2018
Great-West Life gives great opportunities to grow. The relationship between co-workers is based on leadership and trust.
Flexible work time with good salary and benefits.
Great place to work!
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 March 2018
Great entry level position at GWL. Atmosphere is wonderful and managers are incredible. Downfall is parking costs $111 per month and one year contract.
claim examiner
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 February 2018
The best part of this job were my co-workers.
The worst is upper management. Very stressful
They change procedures often, instead of 2 windows to find information changed to 5 (takes more time) they listen to outside consultants rather than their own workers who do the job.
You are not allowed a voice when something is unfair to workers.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
window of opportunity to get a good bonus is so small
Challenging work but made unbearable by favoritism
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2018
The work was challenging and kept challenging me hopping.

I would have stayed but my work ethic was my worst enemy.

Had a site supervisor who was afraid of women and two Female Shift Supervisors who played more than worked

Too many female employees wanted special treatment which my two managers gave them.

They slowly turned the site into a girls club and spent more time chatting and hanging out then actually working.

Not sexist just telling it like it was
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Cliques
Job life
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 February 2018
GreatWest Life is pretty decent. Nice people, fair management in general. The thing one needs to ask oneself is whether or not you can go to work day in / day out and give potentially bad news on tough situations. If the answer is yes and you can desensitize without difficultly, indefinitely, great!! If not, this may not by the career path for you........
Stale
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2018
Very easy to become stale in the environment... not a lot of encouragement from management to advance within the company, although there can be a lot of opportunities.

I was I an off site location, therefore not a lot of internal company opportunities presented until they were advertised.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management
Productive, fast paced print and mail centre
Print and Mail Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2018
A typical day at work includes running a high speed mail insertion machine in order to complete daily check runs and mail deadlines . Folding claim forms for mail insertion. Printing and balancing checks to be sent for mail insertion. I've learned many things over the years. Working with others or independently is something i'm comfortable and excel at. The hardest part of the job is the hours. I can no longer work overnights as I've been advised against this. Having to always work holidays is also a bummer although being paid OT for holidays isn't bad at all. The best part of the job was the fast paced nature. Days generally never dragged on as we were always focusing the task at hand,
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Overnight hours
Excellent place for personnel growth
Inventory Managment Technician / JG3 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2018
I was in transition job status from factory helper to a record management technician , employer supported me and develop administration level skills which changed my career path.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.