Great Plains Rail Contractors

Great Plains Rail Contractors Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
Hard working job. Lots of overtime. away from home for long periods
Cutting, grinding, hitting spikes and anchors with a sledge hammer all day. Physical demanding work. should strech or prepare for physical work
good place to work labor incentive job but great place to start in contraction. Salary might be a bit higher though
Can make extra money with overtime
Don’t work for this company!
Will injure the worker and cares very little for CNR safety rules or standing orders in regulations.

Management laughs at you when you are injured! Guy are fired a-lot for booze and drugs. Company lies to Wcb on your behalf!

Micromanaging! Foreman and some coworkers are nice.

Only do the work if young with good knees and back.
Pros
Long lunches watching trains.
Cons
Poor Management. Don’t care attitude.
Management doesn't care if you work hard or not.
They use you to produce cheap labor then replace you after your feel like you have accomplished anything.

Dime a dozen for skilled employees

If you fit in you last a bit longer.

Staff turn over is very high.
I loved working at great plains rail..i am a really strong fit and hard working labour I have lots of experience in the railway industry work for long period of time I was on a maintince crew so I was always on call and prepared
Pros
good company good people to work with..
Cons
not enough hours per week
good job
decent pay. winter time you either get layed off or only get hours when it snows. out of town most of the time for 4-6 months at a time. working long days 7 days a week.
Do not apply here, you get hired and thrown right into work with no training at all. The supervisor Tony is a nightmare, no breaks, hardly a lunch and dont dare need a washroom break, he won't allow it. He will scream at you for no reason, ask you to do ridiculous tasks and then ridicule you for not being fast enough or for stopping to breath after shovelling for hours. Need a drink of water, it won't likely happen no matter how hot it is. I am a hard worker and have worked a lot of manual labour jobs, but in my short tenure here, we went through no less them 30 guys, most last less then a week and few last longer then 2 months. Postings will show they are looking at least twice a month. Might be an alright place but this guy abuses every ounce of power he has and literally will pull the tool right out of your hand if you do anything wrong, all the while screaming at you.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no breaks at all and a terrible supervisor
If this is your 1st time working for this company get ready for hard labour. They will expect you to know everything. Once you depart headquarters for out of town work all rules are thrown out the window. Expect No Thankyous for your efforts. The worse company that I ever had to put up with ...they treat you like garbage.
Pros
Decent pay Yes
Cons
no appreciation for your efforts
I think Great Plains Rail was a good place to work because it taught me how a job is actually supposed to be with the long hours and stuff like that, the foreman i had was a good guy he didnt mind actually showing you how to get the job done and the steps you had to take to complete it. The co-workers i was working with were also all good people.
Pros
paycheques
Cons
being out of town
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Great Plains Rail Contractors?
The people and the work were very much enjoyable. Traveling with the company was a great asset, as I got to see lots of the western part of the Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan. Learnt alot of things working for this company and enjoyed it very much.
Learnt and utilized my skills to the best of my ability, was a great life experience that was well enjoyed. Utilizing the machines was probably the best part of the job. My coworkers were very nice people.
lol if you love hard work, low pay, and hard to advance then this is the job for you... and dont forget that your a piece of meat and that you are replaceable if you want time off... this company works long weekend to long weekend and thats all there is to it... some guys are ok to work with and other not so much...
Pros
can make over 2 grand every two weeks if you work out of town jobs
Cons
Your treated like a piece of meat called down a lot if you make mistakes
Very lazy company worst ive ever worked for they have low wages and make you work in the worst of conditions and it is a very racist company
Pros
they tell you they lay you off
Cons
they will put you quit