Great Northern Insulation Employee Reviews

This company is as good as many larger organizations that I have worked for in the past!
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON9 October 2018
During my first year with this company, I have been impressed with the supportive nature of management and the family friendly atmosphere that is promoted within the culture here. I am regularly tasked with challenging projects and given the freedom to accomplish my tasks with no micro-managing; however support is available at any time that I need it (open door policy). GNI encourages the growth and development of its employees by providing ongoing training related to my position and the construction industry in general. GNI is always planning for the future, I feel confident that this organization will only continue to grow in the years to come!
Pros
flexible schedule, challenging work, supportive management
Cons
Great First Career Job with room for potential.
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock25 September 2018
Was able to get hired on in the career I went to college for, management saw my potential. Management empowers their employees. - open door discussions at any time. Management encourages all employees to challenge themselves with different training courses to allow room for advancement and growth.

The company has a positive atmosphere and friendly environment, you get to work together as a team to help each other grow as an individual. No matter what department you are working in, any employee will try to help you out. You can walk around the office and be able to chat with everyone. Tons of different social committee events and team building events including charitable work.
Pros
flex time, positive office atmosphere and training and development
Horrible
Sales Consultant /Crew leader (Former Employee) –  Comber, ON3 October 2018
This company does not care about anything but it’s profits! Management and employees go through a revolving door. They will make everyone promises and then throw you out the door the first chance they get. I worked as an Installer and did Sales. Horrible company to work for all around. I wish the rating could be less than 1 star!
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Everything!
Very Enjoyable Line of Work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON2 January 2019
Many hours available during the summer. Did fireproofing and sprayfoam insulation. Co-workers extremely respectful and knowledgeable. Supervisors are organized and on point with the what has to be completed and how to do it.
Pros
Many Hours
Cons
Very difficult labor
Great Northern is a great company to work for.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2018
Work life balance can be challenging due to periodic and sporadic long hours. It can be hot in the summers, and cold in the winters as this line of work is in the construction field. If you get a sense of satisfaction when you've completed a good job for someone, if you enjoy working with your hands, in a fun and dynamic work environment, this is the place for you! Performance based incentives and several perk opportunities are available to those who excel. Pay is fair and competitive.
Very well structured company with room to grow.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON19 July 2018
Great Northern takes great pride in recruiting and hiring the right individuals for any level of employment. Managers from each individual branch are very supportive and willing to help out with equipment, personnel or going out of there way to complete a job. Great incentive programs were introduced for all employees, which in turn has created a positive and enjoyable workplace culture. Crews take pride in their work and enjoy coming to work and being rewarded and held accountable. Training and Education programs are available to all employees for self-improvement. Well organized and structured company to work for. Upper management allows branch managers to conduct business as if it were there own, no micromanaging.
Extremely happy to be a part of this organization!!
Pros
Lots of support from Head Office
Harsh Chemicals
Sprayer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON28 November 2018
Unless your overworking yourself your not working hard enough, very demanding very little pay off. wokred hear out of high school, every job after i have been complimented on my work effort.
Great place
Insulation Installer (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 April 2018
Work /life balance after 6 mnths cant complain weekends off some days off very early other days 7-8 pm but it works out overall
Wages are resonable but could be better after you are trusted to carry out the work in multi million dollar homes .
So far a great place to work .
Pros
No micro managment, great coworkers
Cons
Rough machine maint, muddy work sites
Excellent Training, room for growth
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON23 February 2018
Though I have been with GNI for a short period of time, I thoroughly enjoy the positive culture and support from colleagues. The training is in depth and they are very understanding. Hours are flexible and there is definite room for advancement. GNI is a growing company and there is opportunity to move into other departments.
Pros
Flexible hours, room for advancement
Cons
minimal parking, get here early.
Great Company to work with
Estimator/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Comber, ON26 February 2018
Started out after College with minimal experience
Great Learning experience, learned a lot about the commercial construction industry, insulation applications & building envelope science.
Great opportunity, with positive atmosphere and friendly environment, you get to work together as a team to help each other grow as an individual.
great experience
spray foam applicator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON17 May 2018
great place to gain experience. lots of knowledgeable people to learn from. well maintained trucks. steady and reliable work load. the people are well informed.
Manager is always asking how things are going, any questions
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Comber, ON1 March 2018
Everyday is different which is good. Management & crews really
do make you feel like a team. Hours are long. Hardest part of the job is still learning things. GNI has great people you can reach out too with any question.
Pros
Great crew to work with
Cons
people nice for most part, management doesnt listen whatsoever.
Insulation Contractor (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON8 January 2018
they keep people who are trash at the job on for far too long and get rid of good people with their stupid decisions. only good thing about working here is driving around. I was asked to do several jobs without being given the proper safety equipment and did it on fearing my job would be terminated.
Pros
friendly people, decent hours
Cons
will try to make you work ludicrous hours in summer heat, management does not listen and neglects several safety problems.
Barrie branch is a shambles
Driver/labourer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 December 2017
Barrie branch is a clown show. No discipline or accountability. If you want a job where quality of work takes the back seat to "just get the job done" then this is the place for you. Manager is too busy running his own company to care about what happens here. Hard workers are not recognized for their efforts and instead have to pick up the slack of the majority that dont do their job. Promises of pay raises that take forever to materialize. Worked there for 10 years and not a thank you or anything. Was a good place to work at one time but not now.
Pros
Long hours if you want
Cons
Long hours, broken promises, no discipline or accountability
Very Productive place to work
Foam Helper (Former Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON12 March 2018
I learned that The hours Never where the same some days you would work for 12 hours other days you wouldnt work for more then four hours
management was a great part of the experience
Amazing company who values employees
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON18 July 2017
I currently work at Great Northern Insulation and although I am fairly new I am loving my new position and this fantastic company.

They are very dedicated to their employees and want everyone to succeed. They have many awesome systems for the employees such as "Ideas of the month" which allows employees to submit ideas and be rewarded if their idea is chosen. They are HUGE supporters of education and encourage all employees to further their education.
The culture in the office is more like a family. I truly love coming to work!
All in all Great Northern is an amazing place to work and I cannot wait to see what my career with Great Northern has in store!
Productive, fast paced and with amazing people
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 June 2017
I haven't been with he company for long but it's been the best experience so far! If you're looking for a career that is the same everyday, this isn't the job for you. Everyday is different and present a new group of challenges, which I really like. The company is very customer service oriented. Being such a newbie, I'm finding everyone around the office is so friendly and very helpful when it comes to answering questions. It seems like a company I can grow with.
Pros
Great hours, relaxed around the office, opportunity for advancement, benefits, flexibility, great co-workers and management
Cons
Lots of moving parts
Excellent place to work.
Insulator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 September 2017
Job Work/Life Balance. This depends on the day. It gets busier in the fall and winter but easier in the spring. No complaints

Salary/Benefits. Annual reviews come with raises, depending on how well you perform and how much positive feedback you receive from customers

Job Security/Advancement. Depends on the skills and capabilities. There is room for growth if you are capable. Handouts aren't given freely nor is seniority a factor over performance.

Management. The managers are pretty good at their jobs, attentive and understanding of employee concerns. Installers are trusted to do their jobs and aren't micro-managed, but GNI runs a pretty tight ship and always find out if an employee is working against the company.

Job Culture. As an installer, the culture is pretty rough. The guys are decent for the most part, but definitely not politically coreect...
Pros
Job stability, advancement, benefits
Cons
employee culture is a throwback to the stone age
best place ive worked hands down
HELPER (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 June 2017
This is the best place I have worked in a long time and would go back working for them in a heartbeat, loved the hours and the different locations we visited on a regular basis. I would recommend this job for anyone even just to try
Pros
different locations almost everyday
Cons
some days are real short if theres no work
Good atmosphere, solid job with opportunities for growth.
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 February 2017
I came in with a limited knowledge of insulation and the building envelope. GNI trained me through coworkers and paid courses to understand the application of different products to achieve the best performance in different conditions. I was taken to site within my first couple of days working at GNI to better understand the application of products and get a feel for what I would be quoting. After working with the company for over 3 years, they are still providing courses both online and in class to continue growing my knowledge of the industry.

Great Northern has a team oriented atmosphere and is a fantastic place to work.
Pros
Good benefits and training paid for by the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Northern Insulation. Our community is ready to answer.