Great Events Catering Employee Reviews

Fun place to work if you're hard working
Server and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2019
I've been working at great events seasonally since 2017, the managment, owner and everyone overall is very nice and straight to the point. Scheduling is easy and you have to chance to get alot of hours in the summer - winter. Everyone I've worked with and have met while working here are all very nice and hardworking people. I would recommend working here to everyone. I haven't had any experience with miscommunication while working here and I genuinely enjoy working at this company.
Pros
Good Environment
fun/long hours/
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2019
Set up event/ serve/clear tables/ clean up and reset for next event, if necessary. Long hours/some employees didn't carry their load of work/ It was fun watching the equestrian shows and mingling with guests/
Pros
Mingled with guests/watched great equestrian shows
Food Service and Catering
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2019
I have worked at various events in various locations with various supervisors. Worked many wedding events, Calgary Stampede breakfasts and Spruce Meadow events.
I enjoyed every event and every task as I learned new things every time. I was never doing the same thing day after day it was always a new task and different event with different co workers and supervisors.
working during the summer it was very busy at the Spruce meadows kitchen and the many events that were held it was never a slow time during this time.
I was never left without something to do. I enjoyed staying busy and being in the back round of the many events that took place.
Pros
Meet a large amount of people.
Cons
On your feet long hours which you get used to.
Long working hours but its worth it
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2018
The job is very hard on your body and your feet will hurt by the end of your shift. They pay well and it good money if you need it fast. The managers are strict so you have to be patient with them. You will learn your way after a couple shifts.
Pros
Free delicious lunches from good chefs
Cons
Very long work hours
Supervisor doesn't care and they accept anyone
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2018
You never know what you are going to work at or where. They accept anyone with any experience, and there is very little if any supervision except the very minimum effort shown. Some people I worked with were doing drugs in the food locales and didn't have proper governmental information with which to apply yet were still hired. While the food was provided from what you were selling, the time in which you ate depended solely on how busy you were, as well as breaks. I went a full 12 hour work day with a single meal 8 hours into it, and it was my only break. the work conditions leave a lot to be desired.
Pros
Lunch Provided from sold food
Cons
Different and sometimes bad work conditions
Fun place to work and learn new abilities
Server, Cashier, and Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2018
Working at Great Events has open me the opportunity to growth personally. I have gained new abilities to work in the costumer service area. it is a company that treat you as a family and help you to become better everyday.
Pros
flexibility to choose your shifts
Cons
it is a seasonal job
poor micro managers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2018
Communication has always been an issue. The managment watches your every move. the workplace is both video and audio recorded and anything you do or say is used against you. no ability to move upwards, and any complaints coming from staff to management are ignored in the hopes the staff will not speak up.

Staff meals are ok i guess
fun
Catering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2018
it was fun, did catering for Spruce Meadows. prepped a lot of food, carvings. made lunch for the staff. Meet a few show jumping celebrities. worked in the mornings, long hours. also took catering jobs to functions around the city.
Pros
lots of work, always on the go.
Cons
bad pay, long hours, long drive to get to work. gas cost more then my wage.
Disorganized
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2018
Management is disorganized and often makes business and staffing decisions without fully considering there consequence. Family owned business so any kind of bureaucracy is lacking.
Pros
Discouts at company restaurants
Cons
Poor Management
A perfect place to work
Social Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2017
I started with Great Events Group three months ago and couldn't be happier with this company. I come to work with pleasure, loving my work environment and my friendly colleagues. Everyone from management to the servers and kitchen staff is very friendly and fun. It is a family run business and the owners are very open to new ideas and new digital marketing directions. Plus they really care about their staff. We went for a paintball game team building and the owners came there to cook for us. This says a lot.
PS! I love the owner's commitment to supporting immigrants and creating a culturally rich working environment. There are at least 20 nationalities in this company:)
Good coworkers
Casher/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
I worked sporadically for this company for almost four years because of school. I like the events and flexibility of days you work. I've seen managers come and go, all have been good, though.

Good coworkers.
Pros
Food provided while you work, but it does get deducted
Cons
Sometimes events are very far to get to1
Disorganized but good hours
Decorator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
Working at Great Events Catering taught me a lot about to organize my time, and resources to perform a certain task. The management for this company was very disorganized so it was often the case that I had to get together with my colleagues and decide what each person would do and how we would manage our time.
Great flexible place to work for students and others
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2017
Being ready with experience in Customer service, problem solving, and a solid work ethic is a must. As long as you can keep a conversation with people, work well with a team, and you aren't afraid to stand for long hours---you'll do great! There's nothing to be afraid of. The GEC team is an entire group of amazing people who are looking for fun and professional people who are savvy with others, and can stay focused.
Pros
Pick-up and Drop-off provided
Cons
Provided meals for those with allergies
learned a lot of new skills that has furthered my skills
General Laborer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2015
Day at work was typically anywhere from 15 to 20 hours. It was Catering for major event like the spruce meadows horse shows and other various important events. I leared long hours and hard work pays off. My co-workers were a family to me. Hardest part of the job was that I never had enough sleep in between shifs and I was a driver and it scared me that a company would allow you to get behind the wheel on barely any sleep. I enjoyed the physical demananding environment.
Pros
access to free events, met great people, great company and learned a lot about who I am as a person
Cons
long days, no sleep, hadards
great place to work
Assistant Director of Catering (Current Employee) –  Calgary15 May 2014
very busy place, have given me lots of opportunities to learn and execute larger functions.
Always Able to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2014
While not being the most consistent for hours or for where you will be placed, they are lenient when it comes to understanding when you can and can't work.
Pros
free food
Cons
inconsistent hours
Long hours, heavy lifting, detailed rewarding
Banquet Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2013
each day i would make pick sheet organize and load truck with equipment and food, drive to venue, unload setup and manage function according to BEO. we did all kinds of functions from receptions, buffets, plated dinners with full settings and bars, I was in charge of all staff who arrived at site
Pros
I enjoyed elaberate set ups and the felling of a differant dinning room each day
Cons
back to back late evenings to early mornings