Great Clips Employee Reviews

Found 96 reviews matching the search See all 2,530 reviews
Horrible place to work
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 March 2019
Horrible place to work.
Owners have no idea how to run a business let alone a salon.
Need to hire proper staff
Also found that the owners only care about making money and not about the staff or clients
Cons
Long hours, no lunch break
A productive,long standing and incentive driven work place
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON (feildgate)27 March 2019
I love working for Great Clips because its fast paced, company has set standards for all franchisee. its a clean and professional work place. Their policies are clear and never does any contract with any employees. Pays above industry standard. Sometimes workplace gets busier but, that's when we make money. GreatClips has bonus designed for product sale, productivity, etc

Its a Great place to work for new and experienced stylist. also, its a color free salon which works for me as i get rashes coz of color chemicals. My schedule is super flexible and if anything comes up where a shift change is needed, the staff can trade shifts to make it possible! Most of the clients are great with one or two, as with any job

Pros
Additional training classes, workshops, flexible schedule, small town atmosphere, family oriented, and you leave with money every shift!
Pros
Good training programs, flexible hours, family oriented and you carry money every shift
Cons
weekends ...generally, i make more money
GREAT team environment
Manger (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON22 March 2019
It's a busy salon, always customers provided from the start. We have a great team environment that works well together. Lot's of training opportunities as well as room for advancement. The great clips brand is always evolving with technology.
Pros
Busy, Tips, Flexible schedule
Love it here!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON22 March 2019
In ten years of working in hairstyling, I have not worked with a better brand or salon. Great clips offers so much support to grow as a stylist and has a team oriented culture that makes going to work something to look forward to. I have also made more money here than anywhere else I have worked. There is base pay so I don't have to worry about keeping a clientele and then I get commissions and tips on top of that.
Pros
Money, team culture, great training
nothing enjoyable
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC19 March 2019
if you seek to never further yourself in a job, and you want something mundane and life sucking. where people belive their jobs actually matter and treat it like life or death likes it the only thing to live for then you are in luck.
Pros
where hairdressers come to die
Cons
where hairdressers come to die
A Great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orchard Plaza14 March 2019
I started as a stylist with Great Clips over 6 years ago after many years in other salons. I like the fast pased atmosphere at the location by Save On on Hiway 97 and all the wonderful stylists that work there.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Busy but good tips
New salon! Good place to work!
Current Stylest (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 March 2019
Great company to work for. I’ve been working with Great Clips for 7 years. Currently at the Willow Park location (just off of Hwy33). Awesome work atmosphere. Management is easy to work with. Part time or Full time hours. Works great for my lifestyle. I work days, at least one day and one weekend day. We work as a team but act more like a family!
Pros
Education strong but not overwhelming.
Cons
New salon, however getting busier everyday!!
Good place to work!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC14 March 2019
I have worked at the West Bank location on Louie Drive for a couple of years and I really enjoy it. The clients are great and management is really supportive.
Pros
Tips are good, wages are competitive with incentives and productivity bonuses
Cons
New salon, so can be slow at times.
Horrible
Hair Stylist, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON15 February 2019
I would not advise anyone to work for this particular location or any locations being operated by this franchisee, he is not a nice person and his GM is horrible to her employees, she has no respect and thinks she can talk to you how ever she feel, they got away with a lot of horrible things and no one is there to protect the employees.
Love my job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON12 February 2019
I worked for First Choice 6 years where I was never given any training opportunities and treated like I could be easily replaced
. That all changed two years ago when I started with Great Clips. I was there for three months when the opportunity of management was discussed with me. The training was great and it was constant. The franchisees and the staff is great, it always feels like a team. I have been managing this location in Ancaster (Trinity Wilson Common at 1191 Wilson st W) for a year and a half and I have found my home at Great Clips.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Sometimes days can be long but always busy and good money
Absolutly Rewarding
Hairstylist, Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 February 2019
I am absolutely in awe of great clips.. I have worked at my current location (St.catharines West) for 7 years now and I have found it to be one of the best experience as a stylist and now a manager. I love the team I work with, there is always room for growth within the company and advanced training is provided. For me most importantly the franchise and managers tries their best to encourage work life balance, fun and wonderful incentives to make more money.
Pros
Rewarding for any level of stylist.
Cons
Can get very busy but an opportunity for great tips.
An insult to injury
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 December 2018
Unrealistic expectations...silly mandatory cutting classes... Ridiculous business model.... Unfulfilled promises...unfair scheduling...arrogant and ignorant franchisees....dirt cheap and filthy clients...strenuous job with too many demands....cant have your own station, it rotates daily... Cuts are five bucks for many weeks during a grand opening....too many head office politics...way too much paperwork and paper waste...demeans the industry and undermines true professionals....owners are clueless as to the actual industry and are brainwashed into thinking its a lucrative business venture...it is not...
Pros
Always hiring
Cons
All of the following...
productive but doesnt care about employees
manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2018
good for beginner stylists but not a long term career option, years of dedication mean nothing everyone is replaceable type of attitude and will work you until injury and turn their back on you
Surrey BC Great Clips Worst Management every experienced
Styliste (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 November 2018
I was not impressed with Great Clips there management is all over the place owner has no idea of whats going in all of the salon this is a very bad work place I feel bad for the name great clips
Pros
no pros
Cons
no management
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB10 October 2018
High traffic salon never a boring moment. Great people to work with and amazing clients . The atmosphere is fun and welcoming always enjoy going to work . Flexible schedule.
Pros
Tips, always busy, great place to work
Cons
Can't think of any really enjoy working at this location.
Average workplace
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 October 2018
For the most part there are no major complaints, management was fairly understanding and helpful. The other employees created a lot of drama within the workplace which was unappealing, but I would work there again.
Busy salon in Oakville
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON20 September 2018
I have worked at Great Clips at 3rd line and Dundas in Oakville for over 4 years. I love the fact that it's a busy salon - lots of opportunity to make more money. The franchisee is great to work for - very fair and really care about the staff. It's nice to be able to just focus on haircuts and not worry about colour and perms. Good team of people.
Pros
Compensation is good
Cons
Extremely busy during coupon times
Fun and professinal
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC22 August 2018
I have worked for my franchisee for 7 years and helped put together and open the Aldergrove Village location.
This is a brand new and beautiful salon.
The manager is professional and always has a positive attitude and is willing to work with and help the staff when they need it.
All around excellent work environment!
Pros
busy and plenty of room for advancement
Cons
can be long hours on your feet
Great people to work for. Love the people i work with.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Roscoe16 August 2018
We work together as a team. Different locations to choose from. Great products to offer your clients. I cant imagine myself working at any other salon.
Pros
Meet new people. Make new friends
Fun and Productive place to work
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2018
Great Company to work for, always room for advancement. There are a lot of classes you can take to grow your knowledge. Easy tips, lots of hours, working for a franchisee that owns multiple locations gives you the freedom to travel and see different salons. Guaranteed clientele which is a great incentive. You also keep your tips, no sharing or being paid out weekly.
Pros
Walk ins, Tips, Hours
Cons
Sometimes long hours, more work no home life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.