great canadian oil change Employee Reviews

The most poorly managed and unsafest place out there
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2019
If your looking for a poor work environment or enjoy being forced to lie to customers, this is the place for you. Management is toxic. Hours are illegal accrounding to the labour act. Safety risks are everywhere. Health and safety have been there 3 times, don't know how it hasn't been shut down. Highly advise not doing any sort of business with them.
Pros
not having to work there anymore
Cons
toxic management, dictatorship, far right wing, unsafe work enviornment, unsafe work procedures, no PPE, no one cares about concerns brought up.
Fast Paced, friendly and convenient.
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 January 2019
A typical day working at Great Canadian Oil Change consists of a ten hour shift doing about 20-50 oil changes in a drive thru style shop. With some additional servicing throughout the day.
Pros
Good Schedule, Decent Pay, Good Hours
Cons
No Scheduled breaks, No rising within the company
amazing place to work
Oil change technician and supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 November 2018
It was an amazing place to work great staff and working on cars and dealing with all kinds of people made the job very entertaining. had great relationship with management.
Pros
great hours
Cons
low pay
Fun. Snacks and drinks were provided.
Oil Change Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC11 September 2018
Received TIPS from customers and would do a "tip out" every 3 months. The staff would all chip in a portion of our tips to keep a fridge and shelf stocked with snacks and beverages. You did not receive a lunch break or coffee break while working here, instead you had a permanent break while there was no customers. New owner showed up and took the tip money for himself, took our snacks, did not give us breaks but instead we were to be scrubbing the shop whenever we were not helping a customer. The staff would work 8-9 hour days with no breaks and no chance for lunch. One thing to note to anyone who is thinking about working for a GCOC is that they are all individually owned. I would definitely try a different GCOC in another location.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays
Cons
long hours without a break
Easy, low paying work.
Oil Change Technician (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC10 September 2018
I liked the mechanical side of things, and pride in helping people make their vehicle run better. I also took pride in helping people save money, I know that some people don't know anything about vehicles, but that shouldn't be a good reason to gouge them on the price, I don't appreciate when businesses try to do that to me, so why would I do that to other people when the tables are turned? Troubleshooting problems, after a while you get used to the in's and out's of the job so it gets like riding a bike or something.

However it was also dirty and dangerous, you are almost certain to be hurt every day. I don't think putting hot used motor oil against your skin is good for your health. Uneven work pace, trying to predict when customers will come is random. Basically no chance for promotion. It's also low paying.
Pros
Mechanical work, sense of pride in helping people, familiarity.
Cons
No lunch break, dealing with old motor oil, dangerous, dirty.
average high paced job
Automotive Service Technician/Shop Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 July 2018
typically busy and sometimes understaffed makes a stressful crew. pay is ok. good owner and manager. extended medical benefits are $27 per month. RRSP sharing available
Pros
good pay for no education
Cons
heat/cold exposure
My review.
Lube technician (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 June 2018
Boring, usually slow day at work
I learned how to manage fluid services
Management was decent
Really good
Replacing rusty fuel filters
Working downstairs
Pros
Commission was great
Cons
Working in a greenhouse
fast pace job that has its ups and downs
Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC10 June 2018
Working this job can be fun or stressful depending on the day. The bonus incentive is nice but depending on how busy it is, is not always lucrative. overall decent job
Pros
decent money for no experience needed
Cons
can be very busy or very slow, you never know what you are in store for
Produtctive and fun place to work
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
I Really enjoyed my time there learned a lot of new things and they trained me on all the new equipment that was hitting the market. the owner is really nice and fair and was passionate about providing a great service to the customers that came in
Pros
Great envoriment, great staff and good place to learn new things
Cons
could be a bit busy
Diverse employment, skilled, friendly, and respectable.
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON21 March 2018
Overall, great management, small business so one must be very committed and knowledgeable to advance in salary. Clean and organized workplace and up to standards. Fast and efficient services as well as providing additional information on the serviced vehicles for potential problems, or future services.
Pros
Small team; great opportunity to communicate and learn better.
Cons
Sometimes not too busy.
franchise shop, great company
Assistant Manager/Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 January 2018
Daily oil changes, fluid changes, wiper blades, tire checks, air filter changes, fuel filter changes or gas and diesel vehicles, as well as interacting with customers.
Falling apart
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 September 2017
When I first Started they seemed like they had things in order and was a great company, training was ok but once left alone the management didn't do much to follow up.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Unorganized
Awesome place to work .
lower lube tech (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK8 September 2017
I've learnt so much about so many different makes of vehicles. A awesome experience. Thanks to all the guys at Great Canadian Oil Change. I would like to work there again and would recommend it to anyone.
Poorly ran business
Lower Technician (Former Employee) –  Kindersley, SK15 June 2017
I've been with GCOC for many years, however my last few months have been my worst. I had to deal with managers (one of them was actually really good), the other not so much. I was constantly worried about the dangers I had to deal with at that job. Things that would probably make OHSA call down a termination of the business. The owner of the franchise never cared about their employees and always left the country for personal or business, always micro managed, unnecessarily yelled at staff for wrong reasons and was incredibly cheap and would not do anything to improve the building or give anyone raises.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor management, life threatening work environments, no possible job advancements
Oil Change Technician (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB6 November 2016
It was a great place to work, and at the time it was a really great paying job and it became easy to go to work. The people that worked there were pretty fun to be around as well. The hardest part about the job was trying to fit the transmission flush onto the transmission line, and I've learned a lot of costumer service skills.
Pros
Great people, Awesome work environment.
Great place for someone in school
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC29 April 2016
complete oil changes and many other services. the owner is a very nice and easy going person. very good with giving days off when needed.
Pros
good for in school. nice hours. great learning atmosphere
Cons
very busy. kinda cold in the winter and an oven in the summer
Great Canadian Oil Change
Lube Tech (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SK29 March 2016
Great Canadian is a great place to work for those who want to learn how to do the basics of working on vehicles, we usually had about 60 cars a day, i learnt a lot of tricks in the shop on how to troubleshoot problems that come up. I got along with management real well, i never had a problem with how it was managed i seen a huge growth in the company while i was employed there, the organization was great i was never none stop looking for tools or parts. The hardest part of the job was getting my hands into small spaces to loosen HOT oil filters, Cavaliers, Sunfires ext
Pros
free lunch on thursdaus
Cons
Co-worker had a active Drug use problem
Productive work place and fun enviroment
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC13 October 2015
Fun environment to work.
Everyone one there was nice and willing to help explain if I didn't understand something.
Great customer service, was showed when customers returned to the store for check ups
Great Guys to work with and for.
lube tech (Former Employee) –  Penticton3 January 2015
Never had a problem with anyone there. mainly left due to my carpel tunnel from tool usage and looking for something else.
Pros
positive work place
Cons
long shifts
usually good place to work
AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 December 2014
Management is constantly changing, most employees easy to get along with, competitve pay and benefits plan