Great Canadian Gaming Corporation Employee Reviews

Could be a great place.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 October 2019
Depending on what department you get into, this could be a great place to work. The staff is fun and engaging. The customers can be stressful sometimes, but the majority of them are great to deal with! There is no typical day, as each day is different. The amount of info you learn is excessive, half of it is rarely used or needed. The managers are good, depending on which one you talk to. It is a lot like high school, so you better get in with the right crowd. As long as you pay attention to your job and surroundings, its not a hard job at all. And the most enjoyable part of the job is the extended family you make. No matter what, the staff has each others backs. They help each other when they're down, and they help you to rise back up. That is the one thing that I will miss most about the Casino.
24 October 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We could not agree more – we have the best team! We are also committed to providing our team with an engaging and dynamic work environment, while supporting their growth and development along the way. Our training programs ensure that all of our team members have the opportunity to acquire the right knowledge and skills to excel in their roles. Our programs cover new hire orientation through leadership and development at the highest level of the company.

Your friends at Great Canadian

Productive and fun place to work.room for growth and advancement
Housekeeper and housekeeping supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2019
The good thing is that it has so much room for growth and advancement if you are willing to.
Pay is also good as compared to other companies.
Sometimes, it is hard to work because of the workload. But that's worth it when you are getting good benefits.
Pros
Room for advancement and growth
Cons
Shifts, weekends short staff
24 October 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! Great Canadian is committed to providing team members with rewarding opportunities and supporting their growth and development along the way. Our comprehensive Total Rewards program includes competitive wages, tailored benefits, flexible retirement plans, career milestones and employee recognition programs. If you have any questions about resources available to you, please reach out to your HR representative or e-mail us at information@gcgaming.com.

One of a kind job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario3 October 2019
Lots of room for advancement if you want it. Schedules are provided 3 weeks at a time so you can easily make changes if needed. Paid benefits and pension plan. Yes shift work can be hard but you get used to it. Overall good place to work.
24 October 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Great Canadian! We currently offer 536 different job positions across our 25 gaming properties. These positions range from part-time to full-time with a wide-variety of different schedules. We are also committed to providing our team members with opportunities for growth and development. If you would like to learn more about opportunities for advancement, we encourage you to touch base with your HR representative or e-mail us at information@gcgaming.com.

Toxic culture & poor leadership
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 October 2019
This is an organization is just plain terrible. I don't know how to tell you but I feel its my duty to warn my fellow marketers.

It's a very toxic, exhausting & controlling environment. People are always spying on you and watching your every move as there is a lack of trust. You will always be looking over your shoulder no matter what you do and be made to feel you are the problem.

If you are starting out in your Marketing career this could be an okay place to gain experience for a year or two if you can stomach it. The hours are long and work is never ending. They just want the job done at any cost and money made from gambling. Which is another thing, you have to be okay with that industry. I was not because its not for me.

Its not a positive place and you do have to worry constantly if you're going to be let go. If you value balance, trust, teamwork and growth then is NOT the place for anyone. It's run terribly all around.
I have noticed many Marketers quitting, or being let go. Its awful . Stay away.
24 October 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you are not enjoying your experience at Great Canadian. Our team members are our number one priority and we are committed to providing them with ongoing support. We are always open to feedback and encourage you to reach out to your HR advisor, or contact us directly at information@gcgaming.com.

Terrible Management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2019
Hardrock casino went downhill within a 4 month period. Poor management, no training, massive lay offs. Would not recommend working here for a long period.
Lasted half a day of horror
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 September 2019
Trainer told me horror stories entire four hours of shift I including having two bladder infections on two separate occasions because they do not provide cover for washroom breaks, let alone lunch breaks.
No one knew I was starting.
Incredibly impersonal.
Email you two days worth of training material to do with no human interaction or instruction where a normal company would have provided orientationp
Vision, Mission, Values
Vice President Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2019
Our Vision is to be the leading gaming, entertainment and hospitality company in our chosen markets by providing superior entertainment value and exceptional experiences.
No HR support for sexist boss
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON8 September 2019
Food and Beverage manager is sexist and entitled. Expects top performance but doesn’t give proper training. It’s a learn as you go job but you get written up if you do it wrong. No compassion for personal life events. Over works staff with minimal breaks. HR won’t stand up for you, manager has them all in his pocket and you will get no support once you encounter this boss. His entire department hates him. ZERO work life balance, you’re just expected to work all time and he will enjoy time off. Does not support your decisions infront of other staff or guests. Belittles you instead of teaching you. Terrible place all and all.
Opportunities abound for those who seek them
Surveillance Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 August 2019
GCC will help you grow a job into a career if that is what you desire. You're able to come in with little to no experience and they will provide you with the training you need to do the job.
If a certain person and GM like you, you are golden, if not say hello to the chopping block!
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia16 July 2019
You are expected to work overtime and not get paid and you can’t bank your hours. You are also expected to volunteer on your days off with no appreciation from Management. Management talk about staff members and nothing is confidential. No cost of living raise for years and years. GM picks favourites and protects them while the rest of the staff are afraid to speak. Being lied to and promises made that are always broken.
Pros
Staff are amazing
Cons
Never see a manager on the gaming floor
Tough hours and understaffed
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON10 July 2019
Recently coming under the Great Canadian ownership has meant a cut in staff ..more work for everyone ... moving work responsibilities around to reduce other deapartments .. I guess this would be normal growing pains but the cuts are too severe .. operating without enough staff and the stress levels have climbed .
Fair pay and benefits so far thanks to union negotiations. Supervisors run at 1.5 bodies for work that used to have 4 bodies completing. Mandatory early outs can cut your hours but some departments have more than others
Pros
Hot buffet cafe charged to our pay, Fair pay if you can hack the shifts, paid sick days, Only for union staff though
Cons
Day shift 4am start !!!, Night shifts, must be very flexible, 24 hour operation .. must work holidays .
Work environment
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 July 2019
Super busy and sometime might need to stay over time. Coworkers are friendly. Can get very busy with invoices and vendors by making many phone calls. Overall, a good place for a starter.
24 October 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We could not agree more – we have a very friendly and supportive team!

Your friends at Great Canadian

If you get along with management you're in
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 July 2019
The workers were great but some managers did not want to hear of issues brought to their attention. Staffing issues and management issues were all I had problems with.
Pros
Good benifits and pay
Cons
On camera all day very high security. But hey its a casino...😁
no work/life balance, management cares more about schedule than your well being
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 June 2019
everyone you work with is friendly and you build friendships with co workers, which is nice. expect to work full time even when you apply for casual/on call. if you value your social life, i don't recommend applying here. when you get hired, you work night shifts up until someone new comes in because you are the lowest seniority, which could take up to 6 months or more. management will act like they care about a situation you bring up because you're concerned, but will not do anything about it. i do believe that favouritism plays a role in this company, so treatment can be different. you only start getting benefits if you have the job title of full time, even if you work full time hours when you're on 'call/casual'.
Pros
friendly co workers, decent pay
Cons
night shifts for months, poor management
productive
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC13 June 2019
+i have already worked at River Rock Casino for almost two years.It was a great experience working there. The whole team was very supportive and skilled. Th staff was so helpful and professional.
Pros
great facilities
Cons
hours
Brantford Elements
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 June 2019
Dissapointed & Confusing; Took a month & a half after interviews were conducted. Lengthy process - need money up front to get your background gaming license. Took about 3 weeks. Nonsense process. Then 2 horrible computer training days that is so outdated & left to figure out your own problems when something goes wrong. Too many Supervisors & Bosses. Someone tells you to do something one minute then someone else tells you something different the next. Don't expect to work your Rear off & do your job & get any tips - They won't let you & neither will the people that are Trying to Train you. Which is another joke !! You'll get 3 -4 people training in One shift & they all do it one way - next shift same thing. Your head is Spinning around ! Supervisors are really not there for you like they say. You can go anywhere people & make the same money & actually make your own tips. As u can see there's a big turnover ! Employees that have been there for years are tired of training people & getting nothing in payment for it - Union doesn't care - big surprise! You will not get anywhere fast - takes months to be on ur own - ridiculous ! Very Dissapointed in the New Elements & Unifor!
Hence - why there Always hiring - Big turn around !
Pros
Cant think of nothing !
Fun working environment
Assistant Poker Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 May 2019
Set up daily dealer schedules
arrange tournament startups or ending procedures
mentor staff on dealing technique
customer service
set up major BCLC tournaments
register and take payment for BCLC tournaments
maintain customer data base
deal with issue
Pros
high paced energetic job
Cons
the hours
Nice people
Dealer (Current Employee) –  Flamboro, ON27 April 2019
Fun job. Crazy hours as they are open 24 hours. Lots of room for promotion as expansion happens. They promote from within and within their sister companies.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Difficult hours
Slot technician
Slot Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON18 April 2019
This job is easily one of the best jobs in the casino. Great team in the department. Great department supervisor and manager. We are currently in a transition phase so work is a harder at the moment but once things are up and running it will be smooth sailing. This is a position that is very hard to walk away from for anything else once you are in it.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, good team, relaxed
Cons
Can be tiring on night shifts.
Horrible Experience Don't Waste Your Time Applying
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ontario8 April 2019
They paint you a beautiful picture, they hype the job up to be this awesome thing, and it could be but....

Do You Love Politics? LOL people have egos and try and run their own show there vs the companies. If you don't side with those people they will bury you.

There are some good people there and I feel for them but this place will break them, and it will break you too if you stay there for long. This place doesn't have any systems in place, they train you to do things one way, and give you trouble for doing it that way and want you to do it another way. They don't care about anything but their budgets, and making $$$ and trust me they make tons of money. The longer you work there the longer they will ride you if you let them, with no respect or appreciation.

They live to Fake it Till They Make it...
Pros
Meeting New People
Cons
Politics, Bad Management, No Respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Canadian Gaming Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.