Great Blue Heron Casino

Great Blue Heron Casino Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
New ownership has made this a difficult place to work. Staff cuts leave many overworked. Customer satisfaction dropped a lot . Tips dropped . Renovated but did nothing to improve staff areas . Bathroom , lunchroom and parking lot are all too small . Employee satisfaction is very low . A few jobs have great pay .
Pros
Wages
Cons
Shift work, understaffed, poor training, too much staff turnover
Horrible ever since gcgc took over. Under staffed and unorganized company.
Would not work for them again. I worked there for about 6 years and was undervalued and under appreciated. Managment wouldnt listen.
GBH used to be great! It was fun, people got along really well. It paid well. They took care of us for the most part. GCGC treats their employees as just a number, and will not spend a dime more than they need to. Never enough staff scheduled.
Pros
Union
Cons
Very corporate
Management does not care about there employees. Only cares about bringing in the money. They show no respect staff and only see there way.
Work load can be difficult during peak hours and never had the correct amount of staff which made workers, over worked and very stressed.

No work life balance.
Pros
Co-workers are amazing and they make the department fun and enjoyable
Cons
Mulitply work load, always short staffed, guests can be very rude, and will yell at you if they do not get there way, managment has no consideration for the staff
I love working here, patrons and co workers are friendly.
a lot of benefits if you are a full timer. Management is good. Sometimes there are ups and down but it happens.
Liked the coworkers. Everything is based on seniority. Hard to get time off. Room to grow if you’d like a career there. Uniforms are pretty ugly, no matter what department.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Hours are set and not very flexible
Shift-work with little time off. You are treated like a dog when determining scheduling. Management is very vindictive and will make you feel terrible and go out of their way to make your time there a living nightmare.
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
Management only cares about dollars and cents. They do not care about employees at all. No work life balance. Rotating shift work. Company expects to pay you as little as they can get away with whileand work you to the hone
I liked working here quite a bit. I enjoyed the job and liked the people that I interacted with.

I rated the Job Work/Life Balance a bit lower because it *IS* a 24/7 operation and people with a family may have problems with it if you get on constant night shifts or something that clashes with your family duties, however I'll personally rate it 5 star because I preferred the evening or night shift.

I also rated Salary/Benefits as 3 stars since I was part time and had no benefits (which was the major reason for me leaving)

If I could get back as a full timer I would in a second.
The new owners are cutting costs and cutting back on labor expenses, and any type of extra expenses to show a better profit.
Union jobs are good if you don't mind shift work and bad driving conditions in the winter.
Good company to work for. I enjoyed the 17 years that I worked there. Good salary. I worked as a Cash Desk Supervisor for 7 years before transferring to the Audit Dept. I worked as an Auditor then became a Team Leader and then I was the Audit Supervisor for the last few years of my employment.
It can be an advancement job if you hang in there.it can take years to reach certain levels as a dealer games training and with the new company culture based on save at any cost it can be very mentally and physically difficult. Tendinitis and bursitis are very common symptoms in a dealer job.
Terrible work environment. Cliques, backstabbing, endless gossiping by both managers and staff.

Very stressful place. The entire place is an us vs them attitude.
no work-life balance. bad managers that wont support you. no space to grow as employee. bad schedules and no company pension plan or bonus based on performance.
The casino was a great place to work at, with great teammates and always changing as per the season and events. Quite often the chance to transfer between departments and broaden your work
It was a really great company to work for when it was runner by casino Austria and the natives. After Great Canadian took over their has been massive cuts with jobs and major increased workloads for the remaining staffs. You see office staff asked to leave their work stations to help in other departments, bar supervisors asked to wash dishes, hosts moving shipping equipments etc. There’s is no work and life balance the company’s famous slogan is “We do more with less”. Enough said if you are not in a unionized position you will be under enormous amount of stress because you might lose your job at anytime.
I had fun times working here and met so many good people. I saw things fall apart over the years with management and new rules, everything was constantly changing from when I started. Still, it didn't seem to affect me much. My co-workers were unhappy about lots of things but I was pretty content. All of the supervisors and managers were very good to me throughout the 8 years I worked there. The job was very physical and you were always busy. I now have some health problems from my time working there. Overall it was a good experience and I have lots of good memories from my time working there and made tons of good friends.
If your a hard worker then you’ll succeed
The management is fantastic and you’ll always get a hello from basically all staff. Lots of potential to move up in this company
This once was a good employer to work for that did care/appreciate their employees (for the most part). New owners came in and have not change things for the better, quite the opposite. They do not care about you, the management doesn't support you or back you up. They are all "yes" people. The supervisors understand what is going on and don't like it as well, but it's out of their control and ultimately they follow orders in fear of being targeted and fired. (same goes with anyone that stands up for themselves). Pretty much Every department got cut in half.

The staffing levels are below under staffed (very stressful). Good luck getting time off. The training is horrible as a result of lack of staff on shift. The moral is lower than low due to the mistreatment by upper management and improper staffing level all to save a few dollars.

The work life ratio is pretty good if you're not always being called and asked to work since there's no staff. Plus being turned down for a day off on the regular.

There's little room for advancement, front line to supervisor is about it. Or transfer to a completely new department..
Pros
should get full time before training/probation is over or soon there-after.
Cons
too many to list
I was with the GBH for almost 8 years working with their food and beverage. Once i found myself working as a portier it became a job i was extremly good at. After 5 years of that i wanted to move out and evey time i moved up i got laughable reasons to move back.. my second attempt at being a server went flawless with positive comments from both fellow co-workers and mu customers... on the very last day the company has to make a decision to put me back they did. Without reason or warning. This killed my modivation to work for the company and ontop of being put back i can recall about 8 times almost 10 years after i left that the company would rewrite my scheduel after releasing it.... the union never did anything to aid me and looking back at the whole scenario i see that after the department changed management, the new manager saw fit to rewrite her entire departments roster and they bullied me out of a job... its almost 10 years now and im happy to be gone... that place is full of broken promises and the 8 years i was their i watched that place slowly rot apart.. i feel really sorry for any sad sap that goes to work there. Their warped
Favoritism is rampant..if a boss doesn't like you, you might as well quit. Made to feel you're lucky to have a job and there is no support, encouragement or appreciation. People get promoted if upper management likes them over qualified workers. Morale is horrendous. Huge drop in tips after Texas Hold Em got taken out... Only take a job here if yu don't mind a long commute to a below average workplace that doesn't value it's employees. Call offs are rampant as people struggle going to work because the environment is horrific.
Pros
Wages arent bad.
Cons
Sucks the lfe out of your soul