Great Blue Heron Casino Employee Reviews

Was a great company to work for
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON14 November 2019
It was a really great company to work for when it was runner by casino Austria and the natives. After Great Canadian took over their has been massive cuts with jobs and major increased workloads for the remaining staffs. You see office staff asked to leave their work stations to help in other departments, bar supervisors asked to wash dishes, hosts moving shipping equipments etc. There’s is no work and life balance the company’s famous slogan is “We do more with less”. Enough said if you are not in a unionized position you will be under enormous amount of stress because you might lose your job at anytime.
Good place to work with lots of opportunities to advance or switch jobs.
Facilities (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON29 October 2019
I had fun times working here and met so many good people. I saw things fall apart over the years with management and new rules, everything was constantly changing from when I started. Still, it didn't seem to affect me much. My co-workers were unhappy about lots of things but I was pretty content. All of the supervisors and managers were very good to me throughout the 8 years I worked there. The job was very physical and you were always busy. I now have some health problems from my time working there. Overall it was a good experience and I have lots of good memories from my time working there and made tons of good friends.
Awesome employer
Table Games Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON11 October 2019
If your a hard worker then you’ll succeed
The management is fantastic and you’ll always get a hello from basically all staff. Lots of potential to move up in this company
Once was good, now it's not.
employee (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON4 August 2019
This once was a good employer to work for that did care/appreciate their employees (for the most part). New owners came in and have not change things for the better, quite the opposite. They do not care about you, the management doesn't support you or back you up. They are all "yes" people. The supervisors understand what is going on and don't like it as well, but it's out of their control and ultimately they follow orders in fear of being targeted and fired. (same goes with anyone that stands up for themselves). Pretty much Every department got cut in half.

The staffing levels are below under staffed (very stressful). Good luck getting time off. The training is horrible as a result of lack of staff on shift. The moral is lower than low due to the mistreatment by upper management and improper staffing level all to save a few dollars.

The work life ratio is pretty good if you're not always being called and asked to work since there's no staff. Plus being turned down for a day off on the regular.

There's little room for advancement, front line to supervisor is about it. Or transfer to a completely new department..
Pros
should get full time before training/probation is over or soon there-after.
Cons
too many to list
They fired me and im still happy
Steward/ Cafeteria attendant/ Bar Porter, Server (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON13 July 2019
I was with the GBH for almost 8 years working with their food and beverage. Once i found myself working as a portier it became a job i was extremly good at. After 5 years of that i wanted to move out and evey time i moved up i got laughable reasons to move back.. my second attempt at being a server went flawless with positive comments from both fellow co-workers and mu customers... on the very last day the company has to make a decision to put me back they did. Without reason or warning. This killed my modivation to work for the company and ontop of being put back i can recall about 8 times almost 10 years after i left that the company would rewrite my scheduel after releasing it.... the union never did anything to aid me and looking back at the whole scenario i see that after the department changed management, the new manager saw fit to rewrite her entire departments roster and they bullied me out of a job... its almost 10 years now and im happy to be gone... that place is full of broken promises and the 8 years i was their i watched that place slowly rot apart.. i feel really sorry for any sad sap that goes to work there. Their warped
Stay away...
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Island rd port perry2 July 2019
Favoritism is rampant..if a boss doesn't like you, you might as well quit. Made to feel you're lucky to have a job and there is no support, encouragement or appreciation. People get promoted if upper management likes them over qualified workers. Morale is horrendous. Huge drop in tips after Texas Hold Em got taken out... Only take a job here if yu don't mind a long commute to a below average workplace that doesn't value it's employees. Call offs are rampant as people struggle going to work because the environment is horrific.
Pros
Wages arent bad.
Cons
Sucks the lfe out of your soul
Aaniin Community Centre
Casino Shuttle Bus Host (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 May 2019
Good working atmosphere with harmony associate in the work group, organization proclaim with enormous provision, great opportunity to learn new things.
Pros
good beverages assortment
Cons
disabilities on traumatic disturbing
terrible company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON5 February 2019
The casino overall is poorly run, especially the food and beverage department. The guy in charge is a cook at best, no management skills. Would not recommend to friends.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Great Company
Inspector Table Games (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON16 January 2019
8 hour shifts. Integrity, Great Management, Happy, Faced no difficulty in my job, worked with a lot of fun and loving folk. My experience working for the GBH for almost 19 years was most enjoyable. They were fair and always willing to address any concern of the employee. A wonderful employee BBQ in the Summer including games, prizes. A wonderful children's Christmas Party, gifts, food/drinks, music and entertainers for the children, great party held in a wonderful convention hall. GBH Casino were always upgrading training suited for the different departments and following all the updated OLG regulations.
Pros
Comfortable break room, subsidized meals and great meals. Complimentary juices, pop, water, different kinds of bread, jams etc.
Good Benefits, Good Salary, New Ownership Now
Security Supervisor/ Harassment Investigator (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON13 January 2019
A Fast paced and everchanging environment. Excellent training available and some room for advancement. Being a member of the Emergency Medical Response Team was very rewarding and we were treated with great respect from Staff and customers.
enjoyable, challenging
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON30 October 2018
I loved working on the count team and in the bank. Both included millions of dollars and making sure you balance at the end of your shift. On count team there were 6 jobs for the day and we were rotated daily. In the bank, you worked on your own. I knew my job and knew what had to be done without a supervisor telling me. The hardest part was how accurate you had to be but I loved the challenge. Supervisors were very good to work with. The manager of our department did not know anything about the count department or the bank, so there was some conflict with people.
I learned how to work in a group environment and on my own. I was always locked up, where we had to call to get in and out of our room.
We had audio and visual surveillance at all times so we had to watch what we said. We had a lot of rules to follow for surveillance, like showing hands at all times, call out, money down before picking it up.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
shift work
Great if you want to expand your hospitality experience.
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON9 October 2018
Open 24 hours a day 365 days a year so you work shift work, weekends and all holidays. The people you work with are like family though. Room for advancement in a career.
Pros
8 hour shifts guarenteed
Cons
Over nights
Horrible
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON26 August 2018
Senior Staff were unwelcoming and impatient to new hires that were still training and learning. A lot of staff have been there a long time and they seemed to be always so miserable. Supervisors tolerate aggressive behaviours, no accountability, new hires forced to quit. Gossiping in the workplace was a huge issue. No work- life balance as not only new hires will have little chance on getting weekends off, they will also be scheduled mornings, afternoons and overnights all in the same week so if youre not at work, youd be sleeping and wont get to do much else. If these issues would be corrected, this can be a great place to work as the salary and benefits were good but we all know that no amount of money is worth it if you are not happy where you work.
Pros
Discounted food at staff cafeteria
Cons
Miserable staff
lots of excitement to come
F&B Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GBH24 August 2018
We are currently expanding... with the expansion comes a renovation to the Restaurant and room for entertainment. The benefits, vacation, and pension is outstanding. The staff are welcoming to new staff, and hold each other accountable. The food in the staff cafeteria is sold at cost and worth every morsel... delicious! Pay is above expectation
Pros
Loads! Benefits, vacation, staff cafe, expansion, working environment
Cons
Late shifts, but it’s good for a change
Challenging fast pace environment with a friendly staff
Third Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON24 May 2018
covered basic food safety and practice running lunch dinner and breakfast buffets. this was overall an amazing experience where I learned many new recipes as well as making a few new friends.
Pros
Staff cafeteria
Cons
24 work place
People are great.
Cage and Coin Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON24 May 2018
The people you work with are great. Don't expect to get any weekends off. Remuneration is great but don't expect to get full time. They are a unionized site.
Pros
Cafeteria, great pay
Cons
no full time, no weekends off.
Horrible
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON14 April 2018
All of the staff have worked here too long and are either miserable or feel entitled. New hires cannot take any time off for 6 months and will be working every weekend, no exceptions. Have to drive to Orillia to get gaming license after you are hired. Worked as a host in the restaurant. All of the servers are miserable and will get angry if they don't agree with something you do. This place seriously needs a re-vamp and some new workers to liven the place up.
Pros
discounted lunch
Cons
horrible staff, no time off
Productive and fun
Gaming Inspector (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON7 April 2018
This was a fun job when I started but with it now being unionized there is such a wide difference between new management and employees and no one is happy any more. You are just a number.
Pros
Rrsps early outs
Cons
No family life
Exciting and lively place to work
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON25 March 2018
Interesting atmosphere. All types of cliental. Dealing with very happy people and very upset people, Many lose thousand of dollars, Some become violent, de-escalation is required many times. Oversee10-15 security staff per shift. Many different issues, must be quite flexible.
Pros
Dealing with lots of different people
Cons
12 hour shifts
You learned to deal with different patrons at times everyday I worked
Casino inspector (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON29 January 2018
I've been working with this company for over 20 years and enjoy working with people. I've been working with Great Blue Heron since the day they open their doors on January 1997 but I left for about half a year after to complete my education at George Brown College and since then I've been with this company. I've learned alot everyday that I work here. During my job I've learned to deal with customers and how-to handle issues occured
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Hard to adjust with family schedule at times