Great Big Theatre Company

Great Big Theatre Company Employee Review

View all Great Big Theatre Company reviews

Terrible Management
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON14 September 2018
I have experience working for many different camps and with many different theatre programs, and I have never seen one so disorganized as this. It seems that management has bitten off more than they can chew and the slack falls on the shoulders of counselors. They need regional managers to help them but unfortunately are more concerned with money than anything else.
Management's biggest problem is that they do not properly listen to employees or show that they care by actually dealing with problems. Sure, they will thank you and compliment you whenever they see you face-to-face, but they rarely do anything to fix actual problems. Instead, management tends to panic and fixate rather than solving anything, leaving counselors to deal with situations for which they are underqualified and underpaid. Some situations even compromise camper and counselor safety (not receiving camper medical information before camp starts, inadequate first aid kits, insufficient counselor to camper ratio, and volatile/violent parents and children [but can a ten year old really compromise my safety?? Yes. They absolutely can.])
A chorus from myself and the many different counselors I worked with over the summer was, "I don't get paid enough for this..."
If you do decide to work here, make sure it is not your first job as situations will arise wherein you need to be firm and say "NO". You really need to know your rights as an employee and be able to stand up for yourself rather than bend over backwards (because you WILL be asked to do so). Training will not prepare you to do this job, so make sure that
  more... if you go into this, talk to former employees when management isn't around to get the information you really need. However, you will have a difficult time finding returning staff; nobody I worked with this summer will be there.
This camp is usually great for the kids, but awful for the counselors.
Pros
Kids can be awesome.
Cons
Management.

Other Great Big Theatre Company Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 December 2018
Great company to work for, their motive is fun and educational. Enjoyed the experience and working with the kids on developing their triple threat. I recommend someone who wants a march break job to work for them.
Good experiance but wouldn't work theeir again
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 May 2018
everyone i worked with was lovely, it was just more managment that was the issue. some people were un-qualifed in areas they were placed, there was an odvious prefrence to kids who payed over those who were there on subsity