Great Big Theatre Company

Great Big Theatre Company Employee Reviews in Greater Toronto Area, ON

Terrible Management
I have experience working for many different camps and with many different theatre programs, and I have never seen one so disorganized as this. It seems that management has bitten off more than they can chew and the slack falls on the shoulders of counselors. They need regional managers to help them but unfortunately are more concerned with money than anything else.
Management's biggest problem is that they do not properly listen to employees or show that they care by actually dealing with problems. Sure, they will thank you and compliment you whenever they see you face-to-face, but they rarely do anything to fix actual problems. Instead, management tends to panic and fixate rather than solving anything, leaving counselors to deal with situations for which they are underqualified and underpaid. Some situations even compromise camper and counselor safety (not receiving camper medical information before camp starts, inadequate first aid kits, insufficient counselor to camper ratio, and volatile/violent parents and children [but can a ten year old really compromise my safety?? Yes. They absolutely can.])

A chorus from myself and the many different counselors I worked with over the summer was, "I don't get paid enough for this..."

If you do decide to work here, make sure it is not your first job as situations will arise wherein you need to be firm and say "NO". You really need to know your rights as an employee and be able to stand up for yourself rather than bend over backwards (because you WILL be asked to do so). Training will not prepare you to do this job, so make sure that
 - more...
Pros
Kids can be awesome.
Cons
Management.
Really Fun
Working for Great Big Theatre Company is very rewarding. The typical day involves opening up day camp location and running activities all day. The last day includes a show which must be well prepared.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Big Theatre Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8