Great American Insurance Employee Reviews

Not a fun place to work at
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL17 April 2018
Very fast paced, not enough training, nothing is across the board everyone seems to be doing there own rules & regulations. The hardest job was trying to process the work in an 8 hour workday, hardly took lunch worked through lunches most of the time. I did enjoy some of my co-workers without the typical politics.
Pros
Company picnic
Cons
Short breaks
Loved Working at Great American
Application Analyst and Developer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH20 March 2018
I loved working at Great American. I had a great manager and enjoyed collaborating with my team. I ended up leaving to seek more competitive wages and to expand my skillset.
Pros
Owners are good people, and that permeates down through the organization.
Cons
I was not getting opportunities to advance my skill set.
Lots of travel
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH13 March 2018
This was a nice place to work. I enjoyed my co-workers and the other marketers and adjusters. I enjoyed training new agents and helping them solve problems.
Okay
ACTIVE DIRECTORY ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH8 March 2018
The department was very compartmentalized and that would be the only downfall in the organization.

Lots of committees, however, the Project Management system in place managed all the inter-section communications well
Place changed
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NY6 March 2018
New management place changed once that happened
employees are being put down every decision is challenged
you go home every day feeling defeated and beat up
I fixed FIleNet problems
P8 Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH24 January 2018
This is the best IT company I have ever worked for. They are privately own and cared about there employees. I fixed day to day FileNet problems, I also did upgrades and installs
Pros
free coffee
Cons
It is in Cincinatti
Great company
Account Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL22 January 2018
I hate needing to leave because the company has been like a family to me for 11 years, but my commute is too far since I have a child now. The pay was decent and the people are amazing
Great Company with strong work values
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH13 January 2018
Great Company. Great group of people. Collaborative work environment, Sharp team of employees.

The overall work experience has been positive many of the perm employees have worked at Great America Insurance for years and have a strong love and loyalty to the company.
Mysogenistic management
Underwriting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH1 January 2018
Some Divisions are rogue and do not share company expectations. Promotions based primarily on who you know and not what you are capable of. Executive management is majority men.
Productive and fun
Permanent Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH29 December 2017
Really nice staff. Everyone worked together in order to get out the daily insurance mail that had to be assembled. I started out as a Temp keying data information that had backed up. Eventually the documents were scanned so that one employee could do this after I went home for the day. The yearly Christmas party was great. There was other employee functions during the year. Not helpful sitting on stool for my back, though.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Not tolerant of illness
Productive and Fast Paced
Claims adjuster, claims processor, scanning clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH26 December 2017
My typical day start by talking on the phone with the customer who are filing claims. Once I got all the information that is needed, I start processing the claims.
Pros
Free Coffee and 30 minutes break
Cons
Health Care
Good
Sr. Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH12 December 2017
Good
Management Strong, Workplace environment comfortable.
Very strong on teamwork as well as Department Cross Funtionality.
Have the opportunity to occasionaly Telecommute
I had good experiences and bad.
Senior New Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH27 November 2017
When I began working for Great American insurance 2.5 years ago I felt privileged. I soon came to realize the positives about the company were not found in the company as a whole. I've seen a lot of creative, hardworking, unappreciated individuals leave the company. It's a shame and I will soon be one of them. I hope to possibly return to Great American in a different division of the company one day.
Great Company
Developer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH18 November 2017
Great company to work for - best I've ever worked for, actually. I wouldn't say the same for IT - there's been a lot of flux since the departure of the last CIO who was there for 10 years.
Pros
Excellent compensation, not crazy hours
Cons
Never sure of what's expected.
i loves everything about this company
Crop Insurance Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS25 October 2017
I loved working at great american. Everyone was so nice. I loved to travel and meet new people. This was a part time job but if you wanted to work you would work full time hours and get paid for it.
Pros
co workers and bosses
Cons
no insurance if not full time
Education and Growth
Equipment Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 July 2017
Great company culture and willing to assist in determining your true potential. Industry is unique due to it being insurance related requiring some educational certificates, degrees, etc.
Pros
Educational Enrichment
Cons
Industry
Great place to work, family friendly atmosphere, Great team environment.
Project Manager/Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH15 June 2017
Is a great place to work and make friends and continue to learn and grow in your profession. A place which is concerned about the person you are as well as the job you do.
Personal Lines Field Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UT11 June 2017
Great opportunities to grow within the company. Learned a lot of different functions and established my career in Insurance. They consolidated to Ohio
Old fashioned insurance company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH5 June 2017
There has been extreme turnover since I left. My experience was a company resistant to change. Job security was tough outside the corporate offices as divisions were routinely bought and sold.
Pros
great gym with lunch time instructors
Cons
Slow to make decisions and change
Great work/life balance and friendly people
Intern in Management Reporting Division (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH8 April 2017
It is a very inviting place to work, especially as an intern. I worked there for two summers as an intern, and was treated with respect and taught a lot by my co-workers and superiors. They always try to keep you busy with relevant tasks and want you to learn about the profession. I learned a lot of computer related skills and excel with Information Technology, and got a good look at the financial world and management reporting when I was in that division. It was a helpful look in the insurance industry and an overall positive experience.