Grant Thornton Employee Reviews

Good stepping stone for your career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto20 November 2018
Good stepping stone for your career. Typical accounting firm culture. Very cutthroat if you cannot perform but endless opportunities if you are hard working and sharp.
Fun place to work and interact with staff.
Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE18 October 2018
Was always a pleasure coming to work each day....could be challenging but always in a good way. Loved the job, loved the people and loved the IT team.
Pros
Great IT team
Cons
different directives from upper management
Excellent company, open environment, flexible hours, fair compensation.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2018
Excellent company, open environment, flexible hours, fair compensation. Opportunities to learn about many different industries, markets. Nice offices and good location
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Small Clients
Fun place to work
Audit Senior, Assurance (Former Employee) –  New Delhi20 August 2018
Had a great team to work with and learn. Got a wide spectrum of experience beyond my KRA. There are times where you have you have to work beyond regular hours, but only to evolve as a better professional.
Its too stressful.
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB17 July 2018
great place to work depending on office and manager. Togetherness depends on how many people like you. Managers (there are lots) are stuck up, not sure why, but very selfish. depending on office that you work, they always use excuse of being busy to avoid teaching you , but complain the minute you mess up. The learning curve is alot to handle, I have seen people quit on day 2, faking emergencies. Its a lot and they say they will help but the more you ask , the more they are frustrated at you.
When you get a file, its your job, to get it done and hand in in time with very little errors. There's alot of pressure and expectation. Orientation is one week and you start working alone ( experience or not).
very long hours to complete anything. Just because everyone leaves at 5, doesn't mean work is done.
If you don't thrive under pressure, this is not for you. And if you do, you will be exhausted and wear out before year 1 is done.
Pros
tons of company benefits, 3 weeks vacation even entry level, great insurance upto 80%, summer days off, 3 day work week in summers and more
Cons
long hours, eating time. People are not really honest. They smile at you, but rattle behind your back, very childish. You definately feel like an outsider, lack of manager cooperation in files or work load.
Reception
Secretary/Receptionist (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2018
A great opportunity for front desk experience.
Managing phone lines, photocopying, sorting mail.
Responding to client enquiries, assisting staff.
Good management and colleagues.
Great place to work while earning your designation!
Manager, Assurance and Business Advisory Services (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 July 2018
Great people, great culture and just a fun place to work. I don't regret ever joining this great firm. There are ups and downs depending on the types of clients you get put on, however its a great place to learn all aspects of public accounting.
Great professional atmosphere
Assistant Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2018
I worked during the tax season as a co-op. It was busy, but the help of my colleagues and managers, I was able to learn fast and continuously improve my work and learned to work well under pressure and with great detail and accuracy.
Poor Senior IT Leadersip
Senior Manager - Application Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2018
Senior partners have had a losing record in hiring senior thought leadership. Current IT Director has no operational or real IT experience and is leading the firm to a abysmal failure due to an overbearing micromanagement and dictatorial style. Lack of communication and isolation and siloed teams will be the soon downfall of his leadership. This will result in a couple more years of lost momentum and marketplace positioning.
Pros
Overall great people culture
Cons
Leadership had poor vision
Great learning opportunity for starters
Manager, Assurance and Accounting Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2018
The firm represents a good opportunity for inspired accounting students who are looking forward to starting a career in public practice. It provides abundant learning opportunities and has an excellent culture in mentoring and coaching new accounting staff.
Place where you learnt a lot
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Bahrain1 April 2018
Being in Grant Thornton Bahrain as senior auditor was a great experience and I have learned a lot and finish my ACCA 36 months experience requirement from here. I feel proud to be part of such global organization and always look forward to being part of Grant Thornton Globally.
The Grant Thronton always provide necessary training to us keep updated with IFRS, IAS and all relevant law and regulation.
Pros
Great learning experience, contentious training
Cons
Long working hours, tight deadlines
The best place to work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC31 March 2018
I would say GT is the best place any one can get into. Far better than KPMG, EY, Deloitte and PwC. Their flexibility schedule is the best. I would rank it at No. 1 for women.
Administrative Assistant duties (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL26 March 2018
In this fast-paced environment, I was the front line person and the first person, a client sees when they walk in the door. I was responsible for greeting clients and directing them to the appropriate departments. I was responsible for setting up meetings between our clients and managers/ accountants. As well as my general administrative duties, I was responsible for e-filing of all personal and corporate tax returns for our clients and preparing the final tax return packages. I type-checked and finalized many financial statement packages for our corporate clients. I was responsible for making travel arrangements for managers and partners who were attending out of town/province conferences and meetings. I provided vacation relief for our in-house bookkeeper by preparing and processing of payroll for various clients. I organized many lunch and learn meetings for staff, as required. I processed many interac/credit card transactions every day for services rendered. I processed client cheque payments and arranged to have them couriered to our National office on a weekly basis. The hardest part of my job was having to prepare important reports for various managers/partners at once but with very little notice. The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction of a job well done and being recognized for that accomplishment.
A great place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2018
I have worked at Grant Thornton in an administrative role for 10 years. I found it a great place to work, and I learned a lot during my time there. What truly makes this company great is the people; the culture is very much like a family, and they encourage a work/life balance, with options of flexible work arrangements if needed.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 February 2018
This was your typical accounting firm to work at, work life balance was great as can be when it comes to working with at an accounting firm. Management was always attentive and listened to your concerns.
Not The Best
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2017
Very hard times at the firm, budget cuts, and let go f some good people. There is a culture there to eat time, it is referred to as "earning your hours" there is also a massive wage gap in the industry at GT then other places.
productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Ebene15 October 2017
An internship was necessary during the course at the university of Mauritius for two months. it is a company relating to audit works and finance department.
Highly recommended
Domestic Tax Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada31 August 2017
A great work environment with highly competent staff. The work/life balance is great, and the financial compensation is excellent.

Whilst the job itself can be challenging, and during tax season it can be hectic, the business is run very well, and all challenges are manageable.
Pros
Financial compensation
Cons
Tax Season
Great place to learn. Fun office atmosphere.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 August 2017
Nature of the work can get dull after a while. As audit firms go though GT has great work life balance and takes a keen interest in how you want to grow your career.
travail permettant la progression profesionnelle
Junior Auditor / Office Manager / Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NB19 July 2017
cours de formation professionnelle est fortement supporte.
travail tres enrichissant avec des possibilites d'avancement
Pros
formation professionnelle
Cons
avantage sociaux

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grant Thornton. Our community is ready to answer.