Grant Thornton LLP Canada
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Grant Thornton LLP Canada Employee Reviews

Canada117 reviews

gtgrantfirmaccountingauditculturesalarybalance

Inclusive and welcoming work environment. Management has your back and supports you to grow and develop.

Featured review

Grant Thornton LLP Canada selected this as a representative review
You're given autonomy to manage your day and time, you're treated like a professional and are surrounded by smart people who support you to grow and learn. The company really cares about you as a person and your wellbeing. Yes, there are busy times, but that's with any company. There's good balance here.

Pros

Lots of flexibility and extra days off

Extremally busy during the tax season

Every year from mid Feb to mid May the work load is huge and extremly busy. They do not allow you to do Exams coming in the month of March.They will provide you free snacks and occasional lunches.

Insights into Grant Thornton LLP Canada

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Productive and Fast paced workplace

GT is an amazing place to work at, constant growth and support from management. If you work hard, you will succeed. A typical day involves working on client year ends and completing tax return.

Great culture

Great culture, lots of room for career advancement, but people with the same level tend to get competitive with one another, great perks, lots of flexibility in terms of work schedule

Challenging and fun, slightly low salary

Great place to work. Excellent culture and support all around.PROS:Good work life balanceExcellent ManagentHigh chance of advancement CONSSomewhat low payPoor training in some areas

It's a great place to work. There is an expectation of long hours but great experience gained. The hard work pays off by sticking with the organization or using your experience to move on.

Lack of Culture, or Support - Toronto

I worked full-time in an area of focus that I came with about 15-18 years experience. My experience was shaped by a Partner who sought to limit my progress, or at least blatantly not support my success. Instead they favoured those of the opposite gender around me. I tried to make the best of it, made some friends along the way, and enjoyed meeting new clients.The corporate structure is such that each Partner runs their own business in a very siloed setup and so, your experience will vary depending on which Partner you report into, not just location.I would discourage my friends and colleagues from working in this environment.

Pros

Competitive salary

Cons

Each Partner operates their own business, Your experience will be dependent on which Partner you report into.

N/a

Overall a good place to go in and get on the job training on almost all business facets. You get put into engagements that have varied demand depending on the clients and their needs.

Great people. Constant learning. Stressful.

Expressed expectations were higher than actual expectations. Easy to feel like you are failing even if you are doing well. Training was not great and it takes a long time to feel like you know what you are doing. The people really are great though.

Great place to work with top of the line perks

Excellent management who wants you to grow. Plenty of opportunities to take some time off. Amazing perks,best in the industry. It promotes the culture of taking care of mental health by giving extra paid days off.

Pros

Approachable management, paid days off on-top of vacation days

Cons

At times you feel boxed in doing the same thing over and over again.

Good people; low pay

The culture at the firm is positive and people are friendly. However, the pay is not competitive and the work life balance is generally low. Best public accounting firm to work at before jumping to industry.

Pros

Hours more manageable compared to smaller firms

Cons

Still very long hours

Lots of work and tight deadline. Long hours of work.

Very good company just like all public accounting firm, long hours are required. Salary was good and coworkers are always willing to help. Lots to learn and can be fun at time.

Pros

Great Managers Great Experience

System Administrator

While organization has moved to cloud and is updated to latest technology, they prefer to only outsource projects to IT companies. It's difficult to move up to management ladder since they only prefer to hire from outside/their friends. CFO is in charge of making IT decision. There is nothing to learn here. ONLY ACCEPT OFFER IF YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING. Salary is subpar lower then current trend.

Pros

Cons

No remote work

Very stressful and descrimination

After graduating from college with a advanced diploma I started as a Accountant with the company, workplace environment and culture was okay sometimes but most times there was lots of gossiping, favoritism, politics, etc. I was the only Indigenous person in my office and I didn't feel like i belonged there, my name and race was always mentioned by staff, and especially when the media was talking about Indigenous issues. There was lots of opportunities for advancement but I felt like the Management was always picking over me because of my race. Workloads and hours were horrendous, lots of client and records management, report writing, documentation and file maintenance, audit preparations, etc, work has to be on time if not have to work overtime which happens most of the month but somedays we do get a nice 7 to 9 hour work, and the office i worked at was extremely understaffed which meant more work and files for the rest of us. I could say alot more things than good actually so I'll just leave it at that. I worked there for 3 years on the dot, took a 6 months mental health break for myself, and found a new job at a airline company that works with Indigenous communities as a Accounting Officer and I couldn't be happier with my job.

Pros

Training, free food

Cons

Management, lots of gossips and politics, favoritism, stressful!

A great public accounting firm - team culture, with a vision for the future with continuous improvements

A typical day at work is full of challenges - new client scenarios, every client's records are different, new technical challenges arise regularly, and technology is always changing. But amongst all that, management, other staff, and other technical specialists are always ready to help and support where they can. Straight from the top - everyone is valued and everyone's ideas are sought and respected, and the culture is to support one another. It is a great team culture ... every day .... even while working remotely during the pandemic or during busy season. That supportive team atmosphere is the best part of the job there. In this atmosphere, learning is continuous and skill development never stops.Work life balance is more possible now than ever before - you can attend to family emergencies, make it to those appointments, or drop off and pick up kids after school - because at Grant Thornton the technology has been developed to enable working after hours from home, and management supports working towards having a family work - life balance while meeting clients' needs. There are lots of opportunities for professional development learning in Grant Thornton. Lots of online learning and webinars and in-person development. All provided during work hours.Grant Thornton really is a terrific place to work in the public accounting sector, and in my opinion is the best firm to work for.

Pros

Team culture (everyones idease are sought out and values, staff enjoy helping each other learn and meet client's needs, lots of professional development opportunities, and continuous learning (technical, technology, and helping clients grow))

Cons

Public accounting is simply a tough an challenging business - sorting out client records, each with its own challenges, while trying to minimize the time on a file to minimise costs to clients.

The culture is wonderful at Grant Thornton. I would definitely recommend them as a great place to work. My manager and peers were caring and supported one another.

Great company culture

Outstanding place to work - company has a great culture and feels like a family - all pulling in the same direction.Extremely competent management at all levels

Stressful, and not worth the low wages

This position is hyped to sound like a great, fun-loving, culture forward place, but, in reality, the pay is basically minimum wage (when you break it down) and the expectations and volume of work are insane. Be prepared for managers to step on your career to advance their own.

Fun workplace

A Good place to learn a lot ! It was a pleasure work in Grant Thornton , Amazing employees , wonderful services! It is a Great company to do a carrear And Have so much knowledge! I enjoyed My time !

Pros

Agreement with gym

Cons

Bad management

Excellent benefits and training.

Work load was constant and fast paced. Learned a lot about audit techniques. The company provided a great deal of training. The culture of the company is excellent as employees are encouraged to spend time with family and to do things to keep themselves healthy and engage with the community.

Pros

Variety of training opportunities

Cons

The company has over all electronic systems that guide and control the quality of the work at all branches.

It's a well established organization with international standards based on standard operating procedures. As the Audit Manager, I was charged with the responsibility of reviewing each and every Audit file to make sure that it complied with the following: 1) the international financial reporting standard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grant Thornton LLP Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement