Granite Club

Granite Club Employee Reviews

Canada45 reviews
Fine place to work, decent perks, a lot of rules
A lot of rules, but worth the agony of some of them! Very high quality work place, kind fellow staff, and decent interactions with members. I enjoy my job there.
Fast-paced and stressful... but rewarding
A very tightly-knit group. Work hours are often long and cumbersome, though the pay is excellent. Be aware that getting (even unpaid) time off can be extremely difficult. Overall positive experience.
Fun Workplace
Bosses are very nice and understanding. They are there to help you improve your work performance. Everyone that is apart of the Granite club is very friendly
Nice place to work
Very organized working place, good management, very enjoyable atmosphere, you have all the necessary tools to start and finish your job.Good benefits and healthy environment.
Great Employers
Paid very well for industries standards, management listens and wants you to have a positive experience working there, mangement is open to suggestions, great co workers, very well run business
Highly desirable company to work for
I worked at the Granite Club for 4 years and it was one of the best experiences of my life. There are employees that have worked with the company for 40+ years and that alone speaks to the fantastic culture and job security the club provides. There are pros and cons of course. Like most positions in the hospitality industry, shift work is expected, long hours can happen from time to time, the environment is very fast paced and members can be demanding. Work/life balance can be challenging depending on what department you are in. The club offers above average pay, company paid benefits and matched RRSP, free parking, meal discounts, a ton of perks and monthly staff outings/events across the GTA.

The club has an incredible reputation and they are recognized by other companies for their standard of excellence and the professionalism in which their current and former employees convey. The only reason I left was because I moved out of the GTA. Since moving, I have received 2 job offers and they were both due to the simple fact that I worked at the Granite Club. This company has provided me with personal and professional growth in ways I could never imagine. I would highly recommend working here.
learning and seeing new things
typical day at work would be depending which station i am working that day, working as a regular cook means you are in charge of a station which you need to stock up, make sure your ready for dinner service. dinner service can be busy depending on the station and the day. Typically more busy on the weekends.

Typical day as a chef de parti is your in charge of a entire section of the kitchen, need to delegate jobs through the sous chefs and pass them down to the cooks if they have time, if they do not have time you need to do things yourself while also making sure product and productivity is at full pace.

Ive learned alot while being at the Granite Club, learned how to deal with stress, learned how to manage people, and the most important thing i learned was how to actually cook instead of following recipes. Creating dishes and making specs.

Workplace culture is very good at granite in terms of all the cooks are
Horrible Aquatics Management
The most deflating job I have ever had. I came to the Granite club with over 32 nationally recognized certifications and a bachelors degree in facilitation and leadership. I have never been so embarrassed to work for the management team that supervised the frontline staffing of lifeguards and instructors. The instructors worked hard, worked long hours, took on extra shifts, and maintained an exceptional environment of learning and fun for the members and swimmers. Management constantly ridiculed the staff, never validated accomplishments or initiatives, and NEVER considered hearing the feedback that would have boosted staff morale and teamwork. Management took away most opportunities for instructors to teach private lessons and make a little extra cash. Management would pick the best private lessons (usually a semi private which is more $$) and keep them for themselves. Management makes salary- and would obviously benefit from getting the extra cash in addition to their salary. Such a toxic and competitive environment.
Fun Work Environment
Management is very professional and great culture.
Very flexible schedule.

Reasonable Wages and bonuses.

Work and Personal Life is balanced.

Co-workers are very friendly and kind.
Distinguished and clean work environment
One must hold oneself a particular way while working here but the environment and facilities are second-to-none in terms of a private membership club. Management is always responsive and most clients are very well-spoken and proper. As with any job, there will be difficult members but so long as you do your best as a professional, the club is very supportive.
This place is so overrated it aint even funny.
This place is full of rude and arrogant snobby people. I'm talking bout both staff and members. Its a unionized place so it protects all the lazy slobs that don't wanna do their job. Their application process is a joke and is more difficult than getting through canadian customs. You gotta do so many reference checks before you can start, I mean all your doing is put okay food on a plate, not fighting a war in iraq. This place is so overrated and it aint even funny. not worth the far bus ride at all.
Pros
you can shower after work
Cons
public transportation sucks getting here.
Squash Professional
For this job, I was a teaching squash professional. I gave private lessons 12 times a week, organized monthly tournaments for junior and senior players, ran clinics and organized the high performance training sessions for nationally ranked players.
Wonderful Place to Provide Services
Positive environment for working. People are friendly. Organization allows for personal development. Continuous improvement. Management team that empowers staff and contractors.
Diamond in the Rough
Working at the Granite Club was a very worthwhile experience. I was able to work with a diverse group of professionals in a very family-oriented environment. I learned something new everyday and was delighted to be a part of the team!
Pros
Parking, Meals, Dry Cleaning, Staff Events, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Great pay....Toxic environment, Boss is a bully,
Fellow housekeeping attendants for the ladys locker room are very hostile, and the boss is a bully...you'll know her when u see here, Expect to be micromanaged well after your probation is done unless you fit the visible majority, or speak spanish. If one person dosnt like you, they take sides, move you around or fire you...very unfortunate lovely location, toxic environment
Horrible Housekeeping management,

everyone fears her
Pros
Pay and loction
Cons
Boss and Ladys locker room attendents are bullys
Productive with staff gym, and nap room
Very friendly work environment, and clean work areas. Learn alot of people skills, and the way club environments work. Over all management is good. Schedules are not flexible which causes alot of co-workers to call in sick.
Pros
Very cheap cafeteria food $2/meal, parking is very cheap $7/month.
Cons
Long hours, split shifts with long breaks in between
beneficial to staff and to guests with several accommodations.
entering the kitchen you are to setup for your shift AM/PM, keep stations organized and stocked for service, begin prep for following day.

kitchen is focused on well being and health conscious guests, providing service to all types of dietary needs.
Pros
a lot of staff accommodations provided
Cons
Shifts are not consistent
Good if you’re just starting out as a server
If you have served in other restaurants, please don’t waste your time here. It’s a “no tipping” environment. Tons of food gets thrown out and we’re not allowed to eat it. Instead we eat poorly cooked food in the employee lounge.

They will schedule you for any and every hour that you’re available and they’re open for so make sure you give yourself a day off because they won’t. The people that work there are super kind and they make it a lot better. Some employees don’t do anything though.

Everyone pretty much has to work weekends. Management says, “We care about work life balance!” Yeah, right. Don’t believe everything during the interview.
Pros
Coworkers, hard to get fired
Cons
Union that doesn’t do much, long hours, schedule
Outstanding Work environmen
Wonderful experience, great staff and management.
Great Salary, amazing environment.

Internal candidates are considered first.

Good Staff events and involvement
Pros
Staff, Bonus, Meals
Over all a great place to work, however ....
Over all working at the granite club is a great experience, pay is good, uniforms are good quality, other staff are lovely BUT the members unsurprisingly are entitled and rude and speak to you as if you're nothing. the club does have disciplinary action for members who do treat you badly and management typically take it seriously.
Pros
pay, free meal, good environment
Cons
managers sometimes arent great, members are rude
alright place
I used to love coming to work, it was a great place to work. until new management started last year. since then i have never seen more people getting fired and quit. everyone is getting paid the same however if youre a good worker they will suck the life out of you. youre expected to work so much and given nothing in return. benefits are ok, food is nasty downstairs, and people get fired over taking some food home from the left over buffet. also the amount of food waste in this place is absolutely ridiculous. weve been getting so many new people and no one is being trained which means more work for us, management seems disconnected. tey will ask us what needs improvement but nothing ever changes. still the same...