Grand Villa Casino

Grand Villa Casino Employee Reviews

Work as groups and have a experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 January 2020
For me doesn’t matter the hour work there but the management for the experience and learn was very poor and every one have different way to teach you how the system works and I wasn’t happy they made me big confuse and give me very bad experience. Otherwise I’m fast leaner and very come person and I do customer service for all my life and I’m very excellent sales person.
Pros
Just 15 minutes and before you eat or rest you should back to work all you have to run
Cons
Always you have to ready for work.
Has potential with good management
1st Cook, 3rd Cook (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 December 2019
Fun place to work of you're with the right people and managers. There are a lot of good people in the company. And it's good experience, if you're with the right attitude and fit the corporate business model.
It’s ok
Casino Card Dealer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 December 2019
I used to work at grand villa and I like it it’s so easy job. No stress fun to work with other people and it’s good experience. I recommend this company to everyone
No Future
Pit/Games Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2019
Management does a good job under very trying circumstances. Everyone is stressed out and it shows. The way the business is now it will not get any easier only harder to keep the doors open.
Official response from Grand Villa Casino
28 November 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts. Our management teams across Gateway do a great job every day and we are so thankful for their dedication. We are always open to suggestions on how we can continuously improve the employment experience for our teams - please feel free to email us: employment@gatewaycasinos.com

hierarchy culture, bullying and harassment is ignored
Busser/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 March 2019
bartenders (who just push buttons and hand out beer/food) think they are superior to everyone. they treat bussers and servers like their personal workers. I've seen bussers being bullied and noone did anything. HR says go to manager.... Incompetent "managers" take side with the bartender/ servers. they don't give you a chance to advance. Either hire external or their favorites. I knew a great busser who had 4years bartender/ managing experience. guess what?! not even an intervew. one of the managers even lied to HR and said that she talked to the busser and the busser doesn't want the bartender position. barbacks/ bussers/ foodrunners are jobs noone wants, so they try to keep you in those positions.
Casino Managers are former servers/ bartender who didn't even go to college. some are ok, others have to work on their ego.
Managers also bully and lie.
servers are alright. most of them just work for the money and don't want to be here. their negative attitude affects you. if you're new they think they have to tell you how to do certain unimportant things and judge you if you do things your own way. And be prepared for gossip.
I worked twice a week, which was bearable. overall toxic and miserable coworkers who feel they are superior based on titles.
Pros
some fun coworkers, time gets by fast
Cons
incompetent managers, toxic environment, no advancement
Run.
prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2018
If you value your mental health, do not work here.

Union did nothing other than protect useless staff.

My typical day consisted of bullying, harassment, and intimidation from management.

This place needs a complete management clean out from the top down. Start from scratch.
Pros
Cons
everything
No Support
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2018
No support for staff or management. The GM is more concerned about getting accolades and spending time at other casinos - showing up reeking of alcohol in the middle of the afternoon. If you are good with sucking up to people this is a great place to work. The company didn't do their research when developing this property - no parking for guests and staff, public transit is unreliable and the union only supports staff members who are terrible in every aspect of their job.
Cons
No parking
A middle of the road job to gain experience for something else. Comfortable place to be but little mobility if you are looking to advance.
Gaming Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2018
It is a job. Better than most security work but if you are experienced and good you can find better positions and better pay. Much of the shift is occupied by maintaining access at a door and walking the floor.
Terrible management
Title - Gaming Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 September 2018
Management doesn't care about you at all. Complaints went unheard, hard work is not rewarded . If your not kissing butt you are not going anywhere.

The security compliance manger was arrogant and HR was more useless than t*ts on a bull.

Couldn't pay me a years salary to go back.

Only + was the benefits package and pay was decent.The majority of my co-workers were solid and hard working.
Co-workers were great but management stole money from me.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2018
The other server's and bartenders were great but management was either creepy and sexually harassing, or forced you into tipping them even though they we'rent allowed as per Union rules. They would guilt you into giving them money after they came behind the bar and served customers for you for absolutely no need. Always counting my tips and leaving tips they made seperate then at shift end wanting more than they made. I literally would give my manager more money then i got to take home. Because it's Union and I was the lowest I had to do other people's jobs as well. The bar was filthy every day I opened and I documented everything for my Union rep but recieved no response.
Good overall
CAGE CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 July 2018
Pros:
casual position, flexible schedule, good rate, professional training provided, good management

Cons:
Have to stand for a long time, mostly graveyard shifts for junior employees
You never want to work with them
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  British Columbia11 April 2018
As a new immigrant, I was in a condition that I have to stack with this company for a few years. It was a nightmare! The management is very corruptive and unsupportive. There were a few good managers, but they all left the company very soon, probably when they realized what a real face of the company is. I do not mention that I had not have a family time ever- you work nights, weekends, and all holidays.
Pros
really nothing
Cons
really everything
fun work place
CASINO SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2018
good place to work. There is a lot of thing you'll gonna learn and good benefits and the most important of all is helping the people specially the senior's.
Best place I've worked thus far, great location, fun environement
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
Such a fun place to work. The events such as Oiler hockey games and concerts made it really worthwhile. Not to mention very friendly staff and management.
ok
Food & Beverage Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 September 2017
It's probably the best Casino company. Unfortunately lots of politics from mid management. If you don't play the suck up game, you are out. Very unfortunate.
Great benefits and perks. Coworkers are generally friendly.
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 September 2017
You must have thick skin in this business. People are gambling with real money and you are the front line person they deal with. You are also dealing with addiction in gambling or alcohol.
management
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
would have been an awesome place to work if the management knew what they were doing, could never get straight answer form any of them. There response to any question was that's how it's done by head office.
Pros
meet a lot of nice people
Cons
lack of respect for employees
Very bad company, job and management
Dealer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 June 2017
The company management is corruptive and hypocritic. Decent individuals do not stay with the company and leave as soon as they realize what is going on. A Dealer job is extremely hard physically and emotionally to handle, not rewarding in any sense. The worst job I have known. The worst company.
Pros
non
Cons
rotation and management
People were told to have fun availability for this job, then when we started working there were no hours.
great customer service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
They have a very small staff room which is meant for all workers in the casino. There is not enough hours because there are not enough customers due to no parking and no smoking.
Not a bad place
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 February 2017
Not a bad place to work. No shortage of overtime . Lack of training for new staff. Some management staff are amazing and some are lacking some serious people skills. That's the same everywhere I guess so can't really complain about that . Decent pay decent benefits .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Villa Casino. Our community is ready to answer.

Grand Villa Casino Reviews by Location