GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Safe working environment
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON8 October 2018
Grand River Hospital provided a safe working environment. I was able to work with other members of the health community providing a safe working environment.
Pros
access to medical care
Cons
physically demanding
Great Hospital
Genetic Counsellor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 September 2018
Grand River Hospital is a great place to work and volunteer. The staff is just amazing and offers great chances for students to volunteer to get amazing experience.
Distributing Magazines
Volunteer Magazine Distributor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON6 August 2018
I enjoy sorting & distributing magazine, and the opportunity to meet new people. I also enjoy attending volunteer activities.
As a volunteer, I like contributing to the community. The annual Christmas dinner in december, and Barbecue in june, is something I always look forward to.
Short sighted management and low morale
Paramedical (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 July 2018
After working here for 20 years I have to say that my seniority is the only reason I'm still here. The upper management consistently chooses the cheap short sighted option which leads to a "make do" culture. They pay lip service to employee mental health and fighting bullying and discrimination but the reality is quite different. They promote managers who have the right degrees but care only about the bottom line and have little to no practical experience in their chosen department. Favoritism and nepotism are common. New employees often comment on how poor the morale is compared to previous hospital employers. Pay is good, job security is good but beware the non-progressive negative culture.
Constant construction and renovation on a building should probably be demolished is also very stressful.
Pros
Job security, good pay
Cons
Poor management, outdated depressing physical environment
Professional rewarding environment
Porter/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kitchener22 May 2018
Be on call for special duties delivery or clean up.
professional clean environment with respectable and knowledgeable coworkers. Management was good and fair. The workplace culture was was good the older more experienced workers guiding new young employees well. Hardest part is the labor intensive aspects cleaning bending down lifting. The best part is knowing your part of a team that saves lives everyday.
Pros
hospital environment very clean and professional
Cons
different hours varies 6am start to 11pm start
Medical Unit Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 May 2018
I am a student nurse and I found that grand river is a great place to learn and grow in relation to my skills. I, however, found that the nurses on the unit were very busy at times and were not always as free when I needed assistance. This is understandable as it can be very busy at times.
Pros
skills
Cons
busy
A Tough Hospital
Full Time Staff Nurse Position (RN) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON11 April 2018
Patient Care is inconsistent. Some parts of the hospital are very poorly staffed, and low morale is common. Patient flow matters more than people -- staff or patients.
Pros
Nice Cafeteria, Good Labour and Delivery Unit
Cons
Managers are tough and create an unecessarily harsh work environment. Nurses are spread thin.
Great Company to work for
Ward Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 April 2018
It was great working for Grand River Hospital. As a part-timer they provided you with multiple hours of work, and everyone was very helpful and accommodating,
Fun and collaborative environment
Oncology Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 March 2018
The hospital provides a great environment to learn and be apaort of a larger time that is workign together to achieve a common goal. I've develped better peopel skills, as well as how to react in difficult situations.
Dysfunctional
Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Lab9 March 2018
Dysfunctional environment...cares more about making profit than employee satisfaction. Communication is non existent unless you happen to be in the room at the time - No room for advancement unless you tell management what they want to hear.
Nice place
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON12 February 2018
Hours of work are great. Plenty of time off for family. Only problems were that this place goes through mangers. It is hard to build a relationship.
Also the pay and benefits are unbelievably bad.
Fun workplace
Dialysis Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 February 2018
• Arrange visits and bus travel for disabled patients.
• Comfort, welcome, and provide patients with refreshments before dialysis.
Friendly and caring atmosphere
Medical Office Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 February 2018
Understanding patient's requirements and providing appropriate resources.
Superb communication skills.
Ability to establish and maintain relations with staff and patients.
Excellent administrative knowledge with proven ability in leadership.
Capability to work independently as well as with team.
Capacity to work under stressful environment.
Experienced in health care activities.
great place
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 February 2018
interesting job, investigative reports. Flexible hours according to my schedule. Could work from home if I wanted. Good pay with good coworkers as well.
Pros
Fun
Cons
laid off
Great Place to work
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2018
Great place to work that is very involved with the community.
Great location in downtown core so easy to access. Always has job opportunities. Regular events to bring staff together.
Meaningful & educational experience
Student Recreational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Freeport, NS14 January 2018
I've work with most of the different floors in the hospital that required a recreational therapist. this hospital is not only beautiful on the outside but inside as well. the hospital provides many inpatients and outpatients programs that help the patients quality of life for better. Beautiful staff and team
Pros
The excessive number of healthcare professionals that work together as a team to help many patients
Cons
Unfortunately seeing residents stay in this facility with no place to go after care
Okay place to work
Patient Relations Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 January 2018
It really depends on the department you work in. Some managers are great and supportive while others are dictators. There is a lot of red tape here and the organization overall is run from an old fashioned perspective.
Worst place I have ever Worked, Discrimination, and Bullies
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 January 2018
If you like to be overloaded with work, discrimination, being bullied, and stabbed in the back by other coworkers this is the place for you. The managers load work onto the clerical staff so you are doing the job of 3 people. They bully you and play favorites. Departments fight and blame each other. The pay is only slightly above average and people retire earlier if they do not quit from burn out. Everybody is overwhelmed and angry except the management that keeps increasing and adding to the problems. Only work here if you are desperate. The atmosphere is toxic
Benefits
Cons
Impossible work load and toxic environment
worked in several departments
Clerk/Patient Reg./Discharge Planning/Staffing (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON14 November 2017
Greatly enjoyed working with patients on a daily basis. I gained a lot of experience and medical terminology. The hospital is a fast paced environment where multi-tasking is manditory
productive and fun workplace
RPN student (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 November 2017
I have worked at Grand River Hospital for about 9 months as a Conestoga student. I liked working at Grand River Hospital as a student. I have learned many things during my career at Grand River Hospital. I am looking forward to work again at Grand River Hospital as a professional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL. Our community is ready to answer.

GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Reviews by Location