Grand River Hospital

Grand River Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada154 reviews

grandhospitalpatientunitstaffdepartmentcarehealth

Job culture poor

The management at Grand river was supportive, with much learning opportunity. The job itself is manageable but the culture is unprofessional on the unit, where nurses and individuals will seclude bully and harass. If you are an RN great you are accepted if you gossip. If you are an RPN you will be fed to the wolves. Do not work here if you want to feel de valued.

Great Place to work

GRH is an excellent place to work they value and appreciate their employees. Always staffed never short, beautiful break rooms. Excellent pay grid and lots of opportunities

Pros

Great work environment

Insights into Grand River Hospital

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Grow and learn

Depending on the department and staff it can be great or difficult. I had a great time as all of the staff and managers were supportive and helpful. I was at Freeport TCU during 2020 - 2021. It was hard work but having a good routine and supportive staff helped.

decent pay, rude staff and toxic working enviroment

I have never been so disrespected in a workplace, workers from different floors are not collaborative, are not willing to help, rather tthey disregard, make faces, talk about you like you're not even there or that the patient isn't even there, or just flat out ignore you. I don't know if it was my position, because i'm younger or maybe the rumor that all the rudest girls in high school grow up to be nurses but it sure seems like it! Really sad that those are the people caring for other peoples health. My negative experiences often were in the emergency room. No one is willing to help, lazy workers, don't put peoples health and safety as a priority. Patients make it rewarding though

Pros

2 days, 2 nights, 5 off

Cons

long hours, toxic work enviroment

Its ok place to work

It is an ok place to work if you're just branching out in the working world. There are not much opportunity to grow and move up in the departments as it should be. The benefits are great.

Registered Nurse

Good hospital to work for, unfortunately is always short staffed lately. Good staff to work with, great environment. Not a lot of options for career advancement, unless you look to switch between units.

loved the patients

my day was filled with patient's they were my favorite part of this job. They were good people to work for. long time before you can be full time at this job.

Authoritarian, Toxic work culture and greed

Where to start with this hospital. Management very authoritarian (old style of management). They will remind you anytime that you are disposable. Management rules by splitting staff members so they continue their authoritarianism. HR will not recognize your previous nursing experience if you weren't in UNIFOR union in your previous job. I am disgusted and left that hospital due to their attitude toward their staff members. It is feels like an enemy is trying to put you down constantly and waiting every opportunity to punish you for no reason. I don't know why they don't progress in their management approach. In my entire nursing career almost 15 years never saw something like this type of management. I wouldn't recommended to any nurse who want to progress and love their job. NOT THIS PLACE.

Pros

you get hired easily

Cons

previous nursing experience not considered, authoritarian, .....

Starting at the top is the worse ceo management is a joke at Grh

Worst employer in southern Ontario does not care about their staff. Management is always trying to climb the ladder to get better. It’s pathetic don’t recognize the staff it’s a popularity contest never ever go to get care at Grh. Worst employer ever disgusting place with invisible management that’s it.

You are just a number and a "terrorist" if you choose not to vaccinate - as stated by one of their "professional" Administrators.

Horrible work environment. Not supportive of staff. If you get injured at work, it will be your fault. Backstabbing management people. Low morale for a reason. One of the female Administrators called unvaccinated staff "terrorists." Overall, you are an employee number, that's all.

Pros

I no longer work there.

good place

This is a great place to work, lots of friendly people and great management. The patients are nice and friendly as well. It is a great place to get experience at, and all the staff are appreciative and helpful.

Fun fast paced

Fast paced some disorganization Dedicated staff I worked in chemotherapy department Lots of detail to memorize I enjoyed working with professional staff. Run off your feet.

Good place for student volunteers

Engaging environment with plenty of responsibility provided to volunteers willing to accept it. Fine place to get some extra experience in the healthcare field.

Productive and great team work

5yrs now. Will happily be here until I retire 😃Great co workers and believe it or not, I actually like my manager! Lots of extra hours to pick up.

It’s Okay

The job here is OK, just do your work and mind your business. If you don’t need a set schedule or don’t mind the inconsistency of hrs stay float because then essentially can pick and chose when you work and what areas you work in. If you do need that security, stay with a part-time line when you get one and pick up additional shifts if you can. You end up making more than FT. UNLESSS YOU need benefits. The work is okay. A-lot of people complain so I recommend keeeping to yourself

Pros

Pretty Flexible Schedule

Great place

Great place to work, great staff on inpatient surgery. Everyone works well together. The manager is really nice and helps out as much as she can! Great wage and great working enviroment

Avoid unless you want to experience burnout!

Has over the years become a very toxic work environment. The pandemic made it worse! Constantly working short, fighting for the pennies owed you. Has become very punitive in nature. Wanting you to work harder for less. Has been unable to recruit. Many who have just begun their careers have now decided healthcare is not the way to go and left.

Pros

?benefits

Cons

Working short all the time, wages-should get paid more for what we do, top heavy-too many managers who seem to always be in meetings, High expectation with very little resources.

Fast paced

It's a fast paced and rewarding job , however the staff is very 'clicky' and act like high-school school children. They do not make you feel welcome at all. Management is alright. They don't do anything about this behavior but I don't blame them. It's hard to talk to adult children.

Work8ng at any hospital is stressful

Working at GRH is very stressful you get calls everyday to come in and cover. The term burnout doesn't matter to them nor does heavy weather, if you ask to go home early. You are just a body to them.

Good place to work but often short staffed.

GRH is a good hospital. Friendly staff and management. But often work short staffed but it's like that everywhere. Plenty of opportunity to move around.

Administration

Great work life balance with fair pay and job security. Large organization that provides perks and pension plus benefits. Would highly recommend. Close commute for me and good hours.

Pros

Secure job with fantastic boss great work life balance hours and culture

Cons

Limited advancement opportunity, and policies designed to block substantial merit-based pay increases, even after securing a coveted promotion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand River Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement