Grand River Hospital

• Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Caring professionals at a very difficult time addressing Covid.

Physicians appreciate and recognize all the efforts of allied health team. Working within the ICU the significance of the collaborative team approach was strongly supported throughout the unit and management.

Great people to work with

Love working with the people in grand river hospital. It's a smaller hospital so they don't have lots of extra interdisciplinary workers on hand so you learn to make do.

Pros

Great people

Cons

great pay but toxic working environment at some department

People at the department I worked with are very judgemental, especially at the management level. No teamwork but a toxic environment with many small groups. Diversity and inclusion are jokes, while discrimination is more accurate to describe the working environment. If you are lucky to be the favorite of managers, happy life. If not, good luck!!

Pros

competitive wage

Cons

toxic culture

Horrible work place.

All area of hospital are understaffed and have been for months. The problem has only gotten worse with the lay offs. Unsafe as patients suffer due to lack of care as nurses are trying to prioritize constantly. Co-workers are usually good but unable to work together as everyone is stretched so thin. Lots of employees are extremely overwhelmed and exhausted due to this issue hence if you look there are 48 pages of openings. Pay is not much and if you drive parking is expensive and a nightmare as it is blocks away. Union is not good and would tell anyone who is thinking of applying not to. Do not jeopardize your nursing license or your sanity for this place.

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours. Heavy workload

Unorganized and a bit crazy

I was apart of the environmental services. So the time I was there I had three supers. They were all unorganized (even know majority of their jobs were now with a different department) they still got things mixed up and missed place (ie. Having three people booked in the same area when only one is needed). The one manager wasn't really a fan of men and would treat people differently based on that. For example, she got mad at me because I was booked in the same area for a week yet people she talked too did the same. Majority of the staff arent very nice (majority of the older age crowd) and will talk behind your back, etc. It's good money but if you think your mental state isn't the strongest I wouldn't recommend being part of environmental services.

Cons

Unorganized, very negative, not that much training

Very good working environment

I really enjoyed working at Grand River. It was only a 3 month contract, but I would definitely go back there if given a chance. I was very happy there because the department worked as a team

Pros

team environment

Cons

very early start

Great work place with lots of opportunity if you promote yourself

I am a longterm employee who has worked in many departments at many levels. If you are willing to take extra courses and take on enhanced responsibilities in your program you can advance to a new role.

Screener

Good environment, good people. Flexible. Young staff. Very fast paced environment. Covid screeners are new for the pandemic but doing well adapting to all the changes

Excellent well managed facility and Program, at Freeport , where I worked.

My colleagues, contract physicians, and Manager made up a superlative team ( informed, compassionate, and dedicated to best outcomes for patients). If FT work with benefits where available, for someone with 29 years of experience, I would be there, Full Time.

Stay Away - IT Help Desk

Management has no experience.No communication between management and employee.Too much politicsThis job is full time phone support which is not mentioned during interview screening or job posting, 0 documentation, unexperienced staff, no job oversight, IT manager has no IT experience very unprofessional, HR very unpleasant and RUDE! Environment is Garbage your working in a dungeon worst experience in my LIFE.

Cons

Great team environment. Genuine staff that truly care about patients.

Work life balance is key and can be achieved working here. Great management as well as colleagues willing to put in the extra effort. Highly recommend working here.

stressfull workplace

There is no cooperation/collaboration between nurses. They do not help each other and if they do will talk about you at your back, making you feel stupid. Freeport hospital's culture is awful. Avoid working at this hospital.

Overall good place to work

Overall, a good place to work. There are challenges everyday but the support here is good. We have the resources we need here. Definitely a good place to start your nursing career.

I worked as a volunteer

As a volunteer, this hospital really cares about making sure the volunteers have good experiences. Also, they made sure we knew every hospital protocol because thats the most important thing when working in a hospital.

Its ok

Grand river hosptial is run like a factory. Many levels of management that you'll never meet, high work expectations. BUT fellow staff and teams are amazing! They do hire great people so you'll love who you work with. No complaints about any coworkers. Upper Management and HR and union brutal to deal with.

Productive, professional and fun pace.

I'd recommend Grand River Hospital as a decent workplace. I had the freedom to build my work schedule as per my need that made both my work hours and work extremely productive.

Fun working place

Have been at GRH for 9+ years and I am very happy with the organization, I have no complaints with the hospital, staff and management avery friendly and helpful

99 percent I gave to GRH

I sent 18 yrs working for GRH & I Loved what I gave to the All The Patients & Staff.I dident like all the back stabing from Staff that I could see & hear.there are really good positive ppl& there's the negative ones that I couldn't get away from .you tryed your best to talk to them but they wouldn't leave u alone..only to not work with u together as a team.

Great place to work, except clerical staff aren't needed as much as they used to be

Working here before the new electronic health system, Cerner, was an amazing experience, I loved every minute of it. Now that Cerner is rolled out, inpatient clerical staff aren't really needed anymore, and the job isn't rewarding like it used to be. I'm sure there are still areas in the hospital where they still heavily rely on clerical staff, but most areas, not anymore. It's very sad. Nurses and doctors are given more work to do; we just want to help them.

Great environment

Politics can play a part- make sure that you discuss the terms before you sign the contract, and are willing to wait it out. Sometimes you get lucky; And it is a hospital- no matter if you're day time clinic, you get the rush/hustle environment- so pace yourself.

Good volunteer position

Its a good volunteer position, allows you to practise interacting with people with of different ages and social backgrounds. I learned a lot and its a good job if you're looking to pursue heathcare in your future

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand River Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement