GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Portering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 March 2019
With portering, I've learned my way around the Hospital. It gets boring after doing the same job for so long. But I got to meet wonderful people and visitors.
toxic culture
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 February 2019
Clinical care and patient care is the best part of this job. Patients need plenty of care and some of the front line workers are great. There is an excellent group of doctors. Toxic work environment. Very political and leadership is very poor and nonexistent.
Great Place to work
CLINICAL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2019
Work day included registering patients for exams, communicating with techs, and other co-workers on what was going on within the office, booking tests for patients and answering any questions over the phone and directing calls to where they need to go.
Student Job Review
TV/Phone Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 February 2019
Student job nothing much to report. Helped with the administration of televisions and phones for patients. This review is not a representation of the company.
perfect team work and organized management
RPN (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 January 2019
Collaborative and co-operative health care professionals that work together in a respective manner toward staff and clients. They are always welcome to support and assist each other to provide the best care the the clients.
It's okay..
Temporary Full-Time Contract (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON4 December 2018
This hospital is good to get your resume but don't expect to stay here for more than a few months, maybe a year. I've worked in many other healthcare companies including long-term care facilities and other hospitals and I'm shocked by how different this particular hospital operates.
Amazing place to work at
Practical Nursing Student Consolidation (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 November 2018
Supportive co workers to help with tasks, amazing patient care and always new opportunities for staff members to take part in. I would highly recommend this hospital
Safe working environment
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON8 October 2018
Grand River Hospital provided a safe working environment. I was able to work with other members of the health community providing a safe working environment.
Pros
access to medical care
Cons
physically demanding
Great Hospital
Genetic Counsellor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 September 2018
Grand River Hospital is a great place to work and volunteer. The staff is just amazing and offers great chances for students to volunteer to get amazing experience.
Understaffed
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 September 2018
My coworkers are incredible but our funding is insufficient, we are understaffed, and underappreciated. I worked hard to enter healthcare in my capacity, and I love most parts of my job - but not who I work for.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Poor work/family life balance
Distributing Magazines
Volunteer Magazine Distributor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON6 August 2018
I enjoy sorting & distributing magazine, and the opportunity to meet new people. I also enjoy attending volunteer activities.
As a volunteer, I like contributing to the community. The annual Christmas dinner in december, and Barbecue in june, is something I always look forward to.
Short sighted management and low morale
Paramedical (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 July 2018
After working here for 20 years I have to say that my seniority is the only reason I'm still here. The upper management consistently chooses the cheap short sighted option which leads to a "make do" culture. They pay lip service to employee mental health and fighting bullying and discrimination but the reality is quite different. They promote managers who have the right degrees but care only about the bottom line and have little to no practical experience in their chosen department. Favoritism and nepotism are common. New employees often comment on how poor the morale is compared to previous hospital employers. Pay is good, job security is good but beware the non-progressive negative culture.
Constant construction and renovation on a building should probably be demolished is also very stressful.
Pros
Job security, good pay
Cons
Poor management, outdated depressing physical environment
Professional rewarding environment
Porter/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kitchener22 May 2018
Be on call for special duties delivery or clean up.
professional clean environment with respectable and knowledgeable coworkers. Management was good and fair. The workplace culture was was good the older more experienced workers guiding new young employees well. Hardest part is the labor intensive aspects cleaning bending down lifting. The best part is knowing your part of a team that saves lives everyday.
Pros
hospital environment very clean and professional
Cons
different hours varies 6am start to 11pm start
Medical Unit Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 May 2018
I am a student nurse and I found that grand river is a great place to learn and grow in relation to my skills. I, however, found that the nurses on the unit were very busy at times and were not always as free when I needed assistance. This is understandable as it can be very busy at times.
Pros
skills
Cons
busy
A Tough Hospital
Full Time Staff Nurse Position (RN) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON11 April 2018
Patient Care is inconsistent. Some parts of the hospital are very poorly staffed, and low morale is common. Patient flow matters more than people -- staff or patients.
Pros
Nice Cafeteria, Good Labour and Delivery Unit
Cons
Managers are tough and create an unecessarily harsh work environment. Nurses are spread thin.
Great Company to work for
Ward Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 April 2018
It was great working for Grand River Hospital. As a part-timer they provided you with multiple hours of work, and everyone was very helpful and accommodating,
Fun and collaborative environment
Oncology Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 March 2018
The hospital provides a great environment to learn and be apaort of a larger time that is workign together to achieve a common goal. I've develped better peopel skills, as well as how to react in difficult situations.
Dysfunctional
Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Lab9 March 2018
Dysfunctional environment...cares more about making profit than employee satisfaction. Communication is non existent unless you happen to be in the room at the time - No room for advancement unless you tell management what they want to hear.
Nice place
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON12 February 2018
Hours of work are great. Plenty of time off for family. Only problems were that this place goes through mangers. It is hard to build a relationship.
Also the pay and benefits are unbelievably bad.
Fun workplace
Dialysis Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 February 2018
• Arrange visits and bus travel for disabled patients.
• Comfort, welcome, and provide patients with refreshments before dialysis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL. Our community is ready to answer.

GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Reviews by Location