GRAND ERIE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

GRAND ERIE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Large impersonal school board
Very large board with lots of employees therefore communication is terrible.
Ancient hierarchy of have and have not, is terrible.

The board values documents instead of people.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Too large
Great co-workers
I am a school secretary. You start out as a casual secretary. 95% of training is on the job. A great group of secretaries that help each other out. I like that permanent jobs are decided based on seniority. Some senior management team members don't give secretaries the respect they deserve. As a school secretary you are usually the first person in and the last person gone at the end of the day. The job includes much more than taking attendance and answering phones. All in all it is a good experience.
Fun place to work
I enjoyed working within the Grand Erie District School Board by being a camp counsellor. All the staff were great to work with and it was a nice environment.
Very political
If you are looking for a job free from political drama, this is NOT the place for you. However, if you don't mind all that and want a good wage and benefits then this is a great organization.
The teachers/EAs were never happy with their circumstances so they do a lot of complaining on the job. I always thought school were about the children but apparently I was wrong. ;)

If you wanted to apply for a new position you were hired based on years worked, not your skill set. This can be very demoralizing.

But if you work the hours, keep your mouth shut, work hard and make a good impression you will go far. It may take a few years but it will pay off in the end.
Its ok
Its an ok place to work for. The management teams sucks. The People are ok. But I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless they are yes People only
Working in a school
Working in an elementary school is a wonderful job. Everyday you have the opportunity to work with students, staff and the community in a variety of ways. The key is to maintain a positive, atmosphere and collaboration is key.
Its an ok place to work
I was supply, and had been doing it for 7 years. I did not get contract. Its good for training, but not good for trying to get a contract. I feel like EAs should have more contracts.
Productive and great place to work
The work is always different each day from weeding ,mulching and tractor loader operating.Tree and fence line maintenance.The enjoyable part is seeing improvemets made each day!
A challenging and mentally demanding position
The job can be very challenging at times as the role of the EA has changed drastically over the past ten years. Helping people to understand this can be very difficult, but that is what drove me to work harder and teach the EA's throughout the board the skills and strategies they would need to support our most unique individuals. I for one am passionate about children with behaviour needs and therefore I loved my job.
great place to volunteer
great reffing and coaching all the kids as the excel in sports. everyone is always in great spirits and very easy to work with. takes instruction very well
Pros
free lunch
Cons
kids
Excellent employer
Worked with students with academic, physical and social needs.
Life skills, shopping, community events, library, swimming etc

Interaction with staff, local and surrounding community.

Responsible for transportation of students.
Pros
Helping those in need
Fun and engaging workplace
I got my first work experience here and due to the management I was able to learn a lot. There were great coworkers that I made lasting friendships with.
Productive, fun, something I looked forward to
I would start at 6:45am and work till classes started and I learned how much janitors actually work to keep students in a clean environment. I would clean any garbage laying around on the ground, take recycling out and change the garbage cans to make sure there was a new bag in the garbage cans each day. I think waking up super early was really hard because I am someone who likes to sleep in but I appreciated it after a few weeks passed.
Pros
Learned to appreciate the work that Janitors did everyday
Cons
Super Tired
Professional
A very professional and supportive school board to work for. Treated each and every teacher with respect and provided all the support and professional advice when needed.
Great workplace environment
What i learnt
- Input attendance records

- Interacted with students and parents on regular basis

Workplace/ Most enjoyable part of the job

Very calm during class hours, loved interacting with the kids and the parents, especially after long days at work.
Pros
Working with kids and families
Cons
not enough hours
not much to say
It was an automated system. There were no real people to talk to. it was easy to access my account but I didn't get enough jobs to cover the rent. I felt very alone
Fair employment
Working in the Grand Erie District School board was a fair place to work as an occasional teacher since you get called for jobs at random
hardest part of the job was working a different schools every day
Supply List
- Great schools to go to.
- The students are appreciative of you and when you come in as a supply they appreciate you being there.

- Only 6 hour work day

- The hardest part of being a supply is not knowing what you will walk into.
Pros
When you get a really great teacher and class
Cons
No senority as a supply.
A good start for anyone entering the workplace
The occupation demands hard work but does not overwhelm the employee (especially if they are but a student entering the workplace). Upper management is a little unorganized but supervisors are more competent. Must work in various weather conditions and do various tasks with various equipment (both light and heavy). I would recommend this to just about anyone looking for a student job or a full time occupation.
Pros
Easy to adapt to the causal work day
Cons
Must work in the worst of outdoor weather
Excellent
Very welcoming and friendly staff. As a Communicative Disorders Assistant student on placement, I felt very welcomed from the first moment I entered. The staff provided me with great experiences and knowledge that would help me in the field.
Meet new people
Worked as a cashier, enjoyed the people i worked with but not enough hours to support a family. Learned where everything is the store was so if a customer asked i could help them find what they were looking for. Also learned customer service skills.
Cons
Not enough hours