GRAND ERIE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

A challenging and mentally demanding position
Lead Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Haldimand County, Norfolk and Brant County15 November 2018
The job can be very challenging at times as the role of the EA has changed drastically over the past ten years. Helping people to understand this can be very difficult, but that is what drove me to work harder and teach the EA's throughout the board the skills and strategies they would need to support our most unique individuals. I for one am passionate about children with behaviour needs and therefore I loved my job.
great place to volunteer
Volleyball referee (Former Employee) –  Port Dover, ON13 June 2018
great reffing and coaching all the kids as the excel in sports. everyone is always in great spirits and very easy to work with. takes instruction very well
Pros
free lunch
Cons
kids
Excellent employer
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford, ON24 May 2018
Worked with students with academic, physical and social needs.
Life skills, shopping, community events, library, swimming etc
Interaction with staff, local and surrounding community.
Responsible for transportation of students.
Pros
Helping those in need
Fun and engaging workplace
Custodian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 March 2018
I got my first work experience here and due to the management I was able to learn a lot. There were great coworkers that I made lasting friendships with.
Productive, fun, something I looked forward to
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 March 2018
I would start at 6:45am and work till classes started and I learned how much janitors actually work to keep students in a clean environment. I would clean any garbage laying around on the ground, take recycling out and change the garbage cans to make sure there was a new bag in the garbage cans each day. I think waking up super early was really hard because I am someone who likes to sleep in but I appreciated it after a few weeks passed.
Pros
Learned to appreciate the work that Janitors did everyday
Cons
Super Tired
Professional
SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON1 March 2018
A very professional and supportive school board to work for. Treated each and every teacher with respect and provided all the support and professional advice when needed.
Great workplace environment
Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 January 2018
What i learnt
- Input attendance records
- Interacted with students and parents on regular basis

Workplace/ Most enjoyable part of the job
Very calm during class hours, loved interacting with the kids and the parents, especially after long days at work.
Pros
Working with kids and families
Cons
not enough hours
not much to say
Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 October 2017
It was an automated system. There were no real people to talk to. it was easy to access my account but I didn't get enough jobs to cover the rent. I felt very alone
Fair employment
Occasional Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON26 September 2017
Working in the Grand Erie District School board was a fair place to work as an occasional teacher since you get called for jobs at random
hardest part of the job was working a different schools every day
Supply List
Casual Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 September 2017
- Great schools to go to.
- The students are appreciative of you and when you come in as a supply they appreciate you being there.
- Only 6 hour work day
- The hardest part of being a supply is not knowing what you will walk into.
Pros
When you get a really great teacher and class
Cons
No senority as a supply.
A good start for anyone entering the workplace
general labourer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 September 2017
The occupation demands hard work but does not overwhelm the employee (especially if they are but a student entering the workplace). Upper management is a little unorganized but supervisors are more competent. Must work in various weather conditions and do various tasks with various equipment (both light and heavy). I would recommend this to just about anyone looking for a student job or a full time occupation.
Pros
Easy to adapt to the causal work day
Cons
Must work in the worst of outdoor weather
Excellent
Communicative Disorders Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Hagersville, ON7 July 2017
Very welcoming and friendly staff. As a Communicative Disorders Assistant student on placement, I felt very welcomed from the first moment I entered. The staff provided me with great experiences and knowledge that would help me in the field.
Meet new people
Casual Educational Assistant, Part Time (Current Employee) –  Haldimand County, ON28 March 2016
Worked as a cashier, enjoyed the people i worked with but not enough hours to support a family. Learned where everything is the store was so if a customer asked i could help them find what they were looking for. Also learned customer service skills.
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Place to work
Secretary- Cobblestone Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 January 2016
I enjoy it. It is a welcoming, friendly environment with great benefits.The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new skills on a daily basis while interacting with children and parents. However, I am very busy and do not make enough for the amount I am responsible for on a daily basis.
Pros
great management
Cons
not enough pay
Great School Board
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 January 2015
Overall a very good board to work for.
As an occasional teacher it is sometimes hard to make the connections to staff and students that you want. The early morning phone calls for jobs is sometimes stressful, but I find that most calls tend to come at night.
Innovative and Success at Assisting Students with Academic Achievement
Assistant to Superintendent of Education (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 April 2014
I have been fortunate to have worked with many visionary staff members who have initiated projects and ideas to promote enjoyment of education by students from varied backgrounds and diverse academic skills. The hardest part of the job is helping someone understand policies and procedures when they don't feel it is working in their favour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the sincere gratitude from parents and staff when I have been able to assist them or help solve a problem for them.
Pros
Varied work tasks
Cons
Many work tasks
Librarian library tech.
Library Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Delhi, Ontario15 July 2013
Worked in a busy high school library.
Helped student find materials for assignment.
Helped teachers prepare lessons with appropriate reading materials.
Catalogued all incoming materials.
Pros
Good work hours, staff was easy to get along with.
Cons
Having to discipline students.
Very negative atmosphere in most schools, staff was dissatisfied with the way upper management handled issues of any kind
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON27 June 2013
I cleaned schools was given large areas to clean and am a perfectionist so...near the end of my time with the board...injured myself alot.
I went to school for two years full time while I worked. I learned that when I put my mind to something...I can achieve amazing success. My physical body and my mind are in total conflict.I believe I can do anything, my body insists otherwise.
I found management to be almost non existent when things were going well, otherwise...well lets just say there was much room for improvement in that department. I never felt like I was supported. I worked hard and never got any praise. Management always expected more, even though the staff and teachers were pleased with me, they were never happy, it seemed. Injuries were a common occurance for me the last few years
I truly enjoyed the teachers and students...I forged unforgettable friendships.
Pros
Great wages, job security, pension
Cons
Injuries, negative atmosphere with co workers, conflictive management relations
Good student work place, quiet, friendly staff
Student Custodial Helper (Former Employee) –  Hagersville, ON22 April 2013
good day at work, picking up garbage, assisting caretakers.
learned variety of cleaning strategies, time management, self mediation and self motivation.

independent work. given tasks and left to complete as seen fit and in manor seen as best possible.
good co-workers, friendly.
hardest part of the job, emptying the garbage cans full of food during the summer months or picking garbage from snow covered field in -20 degree weather with strong winds.
good co workers, independent work, could listen to music, lots of freedom to experament and learn skills as went.
Pros
part of the school staff, luncheons, friendly co workers
Cons
sometimes rough weather, students vandalizing or kicking your cart/ garbage cans.
Standard School Baord
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brant18 February 2013
Basic Teaching Day. Insightful and thought empowering. Bell times vary from school to school. A good place to work .