Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Great people, great place!
ARC Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ18 April 2018
I loved working at Grand Canyon University! The employees and student workers I worked with were all amazing people. The school is a beautiful place in the middle of downtown Phoenix, and being a part of the daily tours of prospective students really made every day special.
Pros
Great people, great work environment, belief in upper management
Cons
Long hours some days
Disneyland of Employers
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ16 April 2018
GCU is the happiest career I have had. The work life balance they promote, coupled with their desire to see individuals and teams grow is outstanding. Given my particular job, University Counselor, it can be stressful but that is in the nature of the job and not due to the employer.
Pros
Christian life, benefits, pay
Cons
stress
They worked us 24/7.
Doctoral Professor Educational Leadership (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ14 April 2018
I would not work at GCU again. They worked us 24/7.
Was not healthy. The manager was not supportive. Not a good manager. The manager did not work with the team.
Pros
Okay pay.
Cons
Was not a healthy job.
Fun dynamic environment to work in
GCUTV Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ12 April 2018
It was a fun and dynamic environment to work in. Sometimes there is a lot of disorganization but it ends up being quickly resolved and the culture is one that is very easy to meld into.
Extremely knowledgeable instructional staff
Qualitative Researcher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ11 April 2018
My dissertation chair was extremely helpful and assisted me during the iterative process of completing my research. The program is beneficial to professionals looking to obtain an advanced degree while juggling work and family responsibilities.
Free education
COLLEGE OF NURSING RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ10 April 2018
While working for grand canyon university you are offered a free masters degree for you and an immediate family member and a discounted PhD for you and an immediate family member.
Pros
free or discounted education
Cons
high turnover
Student Worker
Call Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 April 2018
I started at GCU in 2014 and it's been a roller coaster. Constant changes, that staff were not informed of. Inconsistent management, hypocritical as well.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 April 2018
Very good friendly place to work. Only bummer is low pay. However if you are a full time employee the lack of finances seem to flush out a bit with their tuition coverage.
Pros
Tuition, laid back, positive enviornment
Cons
Pay, low sick time accruals
Great place to work!
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Grand Canyon University27 March 2018
My job is different every day. Most of my shifts include showing high schoolers around campus, giving them a tour, taking them to lunch, and answering questions they have about the university.
I was a non paid student at Grand Canyon
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ26 March 2018
It took me two years but I love that I only had one class at a time. It made being a single mom and full time student much easier. I was not paid but loved every minute of my school experience.
Pros
all on line
Cons
no face to face
Great University
Northeast University Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJ23 March 2018
I love the University's intended mission. The leadership is under a lot of stress and that spills over. But I still enjoyed my experience. The training could also improve.
Good place to work, tuition benefits
UNIVERSITY COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ13 March 2018
I enjoyed the experience I gained there and was able to completed my master's degree. I did not like my role of telephone sales, but i enjoyed my coworkers and the company culture.
Boring Student Worker Position
LOPES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ13 March 2018
The work I do at Grand Canyon University is boring, but it allows for transfer students to get the most credits transferred into their new degree of interest.

My managers are amazing and work around my school schedule.
Pros
Plethora of breaks as needed
Cons
Low pay, limited workable hours per week
Really cares about it's employee's
Student Intake (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, Arizona12 March 2018
I have worked as a student intake specialist for the past 2 years and I have really enjoyed my time at the University. The position is extremely low stress and you meet a ton of great people. The compensation is well exceeds my last job working as a consultant. I would definitely recommend GCU to anybody looking for a long term stable employer.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
Even though you have assigned parking having to deal with traffic is not fun.
Lack of diversity
Student Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ9 March 2018
GCU does not value diversity, nor does it value diversity programming. It is a hostile environment for students, faculty, and staff of color. Despite it being a Christian institution who should be focused on inclusion, diversity, and reconciliation, it is nothing more than a business hoping to stay out of the public eye for incidents on campus that continue to create a hostile environment for people of color.
Caring, nurturing, encouraging to employees
Student Teacher Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ9 March 2018
GCU is an excellent institution that holds student success as its highest priority, and one way this is achieved is by the excellent care it provides to employees. I am only a part-time, remote employee, and I just got a call from someone in Phoenix asking if the recent onslaught of winter storms has left me with any personal or professional needs! This is just one example of the way GCU encourages community and shows regard for even the smallest cog in the university wheel. Communication with supervisors is excellent and every concern or question I have brought up has been addressed and answered quickly and completely. A truly wonderful place to work!
Good materials and resources for courses
Senior Adjunct Chair, College of Doctoral Studies (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ7 March 2018
I enjoy working with doctoral learners and the undergraduate learners the most. Zoom meetings help facilitate communication with dispersed doctoral learners and enable just in time learning. DC Network contains a wealth of information which supports faculty and learners.

Undergraduate learners are fun to interact with in class and the learning materials are of high quality and enable good learning practice during class in short periods. This helps with preparation time and also grading large quantity of work.
Pros
Student interaction & coaching
Cons
Amount of time required to grade and give substantive feedback
University Counselor=Sales
University Counselor III (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 March 2018
This is a sales position. Federal regulations prohibit incentives or raises based on enrollment, but you will be disciplined for not meeting enrollment expectations. Expectations will increase from year to year, whether you want a "promotion" or not.
Pros
Fun environment-literally playing games and dress up, casual dress, great benefits
Cons
management changes formulas for leads/prospects, but still holds employees to same standards. Move up or move out mentality.
Great Environment
Junior Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ5 March 2018
I work part-time and it is a great place to work. I enjoy going in and being able to work independently calling inquiries and students. They work with your school schedule to make it an easy, smooth experience.
Pros
Corporate Culture, Flexibility
Cons
No overtime, No Holiday Hours to Work
Love online teaching
Online Adjunct Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ26 February 2018
I check in daily for questions and spend every other day discussing the nursing profession. Great scheduler. I enjoy each class I teach. It is great way to meet nurses from all over the country.
Pros
set my own schedule.
Cons
would love to do full time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.