Grainger

Canada262 reviews

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Found 55 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,928 reviews

Great culture- little room to grow

It's a great company, very friendly staff and flexible with employees. good work /life balance there is a lot of training available to team members. Leadership roles are mainly in the US. Canada is flat.

Pros

learing, flexibiltiy, culture

Cons

salary and flat org chart. little room to move up

Metrics ruin what could be an amazing company

Everything is just numbers. The clients are numbers, the employees are numbers. Even if you are making money and getting customers to spend more with Grainger, all they care about are planned customer meetings to bring up their metrics. Harassment and belittlement from management, lack of ethics and customer service. People who put their head down and underperform are rewarded.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Micromanagemnt, gender exclusion, harra

Insights into Grainger

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Horrible culture to work in. Its a terrible environment to be in 9 hours a day. Office bullies at its finest in this place.

I highly recommend that if you want to have a healthy mental work environment, YOU DO NOT WORK HERE. Toxicity amongst employees is at 100%! They do not care about you or your mental health. You can't leave your desk, bc everyone watches how long your gone and "tells" on you. Biggest mistake was going to work there. Money is not worth the horrible treatment you receive.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Employees and management

Good entry level job

The only concern is that another American company working in Canada’s oil sector paying very low wages. Below mimmnum wages for this area. This region very expensive, you need both spouses to work with wages they pay.

Pros

It is a job that can give you warehouse experience

Cons

Low wages, that make you leave for other jobs

toxic work environment

Lack of leadership, don’t follow their own policies unless it benefits them. Retaliation after bringing concerns to senior leadership. Harassment, punitive budgets make it hard to make money. They reward poor performers who tow the company line and punish people who are top performers and want to make a positive change to their work environment. Compartmentalized departments do not work together and it takes weeks to accomplish things that should take hours. I could go on.

Cons

Toxic work environment, high budgets, retaliation if you speak out

Good pay/benefits, Politics

Love the pay and benefits. Hate the mandatory overtime and the politics and favoritism of certain managers. Also do not like the fact that due to changes in the compensation package that someone who has been working here a year can make in the same ballpark of what someone who has been at the company 8 to 9 years.

Pros

Pay, set end time

Cons

Mandatory Overtime, Politics, Toxic Culture

Terrible Commission Structure

Base salary is decent if you're young or brand new to sales but the commission is almost impossible to achieve. Targets are set for 6 months so if you miss your target one month you're pretty much behind the 8 ball hoping to way exceed target the rest of the half to have any chance at making extra money. Our support teams are also terrible. The culture among the majority is to pass the buck whenever possible.

Pros

Currently wfh

Cons

Poor commission, bad company culture, run by Americans who dont have a clue about Canada

Great place to work and always learning something new every day

Loved working there it was a great place to work taught me lots. Likes having the hour off for lunch. Had great benefits and holidays where fair. Had a great manger

Pros

Good benefits great work hours

Cons

Not enough employees

Great company Ok people

Company struggle to find their footing with making so many changes in such a short time. Conflicting priorities and lack of communication at proper levels prevented success in change management. Good compensation and good growth opportunities if you make the right connections. Sadly still very little to do with what you know as much as who you know. Make friends with the right leaders and you will easily pass people with more suitable experience, results and qualifications. Overall still enjoyed my time there and would do it again knowing what I know now.

Pros

Great compensation, primary and secondary

Cons

Politics

People, people, and people.

As is usual with workplaces worth joining, it's all about the people. I made friends during my stay there who still remain friends...well, perhaps not those to whom I owe money.

Pros

Pizza days, free coffee, great people. Loved my supervisor (that's a first).

Cons

Location, pay can be higher considering this is a USD $11 billion per year company.

Pay well but not worth it

They have the "it's broken but oh well" mentality. Anyone who tries to fix things is considered naive. It's not shocking that anyone in management is a middle aged man with the exception of maybe 2%. Total disregard for mental health, but hey at least there's medical coverage for all my colleagues that needed medication and professional help to actually do their job. They take advantage of the good workers and expect you to already be doing the job to get the promotion.

Pros

Pays really high, benefits and vacation

Cons

You feel cheap because the only reason you stay is the money.

Very specialized, cutthroat work atmosphere.

Took a temp job there for a few months. Decent pay + benefits, but staff are so focused on their productivity that decency gets thrown out the window, and people don't take that effort since that makes them look less productive. Everyone only cares about themself.

Fast paced work

Company had great benefits for full timers. There where always issues with staff when it came to time off. Head office had difficulties keeping everyone informed of upcoming changes. Heavy lifting.required.

All around good place to work

Well paid and full benifits Good work flow with good teamwork and good management Opportunity for advancement Very inclusive Have social events outside of work Fundraiser for everyone and everything

Great company

Great company to work for! Positive, organized and provide a well structured training program. Competitive salary with good benefits. Fast paced and always exciting.

Stressful working environment.

Too many layoffs and buyouts while they transitioned their business to a new model. Very little job satisfaction or security. Very many hours spent working overtime with no time in lieu or appreciation.

Great Benefits

Nice people to work with and safe environment. Reasonable pay, great benefits too. Management are very approachable and they're always supporting the team members for any suggestions or good ideas.

fun and challenging place to work

I enjoyed working for this company. People, work, clients were all easy to get along with. I have nothing else to say about this company. Unless you want me to lie. I really enjoyed working there. I enjoyed the pay and people I work with.

Pros

Superior Management skills

Cons

no benefits

Fun co-workers but little to no job security and decent management.

Acklands Grainger was a decent job. The work provided was very basic and repetitive but the co-workers were fun and easy to work with. The management was sometimes controlling and it felt as if each worker was expendable.

Pros

great co-workers.

Cons

repetitive work, sitting for long hours.

Productive, steady paced, fun place, challenging at times

A typical day always started with good conversations with all the branch managers I had over time on a business and personal level. We began with branch / showroom maintenance to prepare for the day to come. Inventory restocked and merchandised to maximize sales. I was always there prior to my co-workers arrival so I had time to think and plan my day without the hectic times that a morning can bring. The hardest part of my job was dealing with poorly designed senseless company practices and procedures that just hindered your work getting completed in an effective and timely manner. As well as the added stress of trying to satisfy demanding customer rushed timeline requests. It was like talking to a wall. The most enjoyable part of my job was the long term people I worked with and the customer relationships we grew together.

Pros

Good leaders, hours of operation, good benefits, product training etc.

Cons

Insulting pay increases for the knowledgeable long term experienced staff, unfair treatment between the Inside and outside sales staff

Decent stepping stone for the patient worker

Please note that in recent months it is my understanding that many changes have taken place, so this information may be out of date. In my experience Acklands Grainger, there is little to no room for advancement via merit. If you know those in charge and can leverage that relationship, do so. Otherwise, move on.

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Management, corporate culture, constant downsizing worries

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grainger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement