Grainger Employee Reviews

Found 172 reviews matching the search See all 2,083 reviews
Decent stepping stone for the patient worker
Inside Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 February 2019
Please note that in recent months it is my understanding that many changes have taken place, so this information may be out of date. In my experience Acklands Grainger, there is little to no room for advancement via merit. If you know those in charge and can leverage that relationship, do so. Otherwise, move on.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management, corporate culture, constant downsizing worries
Management does not want to hear the truth
Field Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 February 2019
Never be critical of management if you work here, they will hunt you down and fire you. Always put on a plastic smile in front of anyone as if you tell them the truth you will be weeded out as a trouble-maker
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
management is awful
family
Warehouse Support/Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON31 January 2019
smart people. understanding bosses. rewarding job experience. physical. room for advancement. obtained my forklift license. learned a lot about warehouse work.10/10
Don’t do it!
Peasant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2019
Worked there for five years. Management is the biggest problem. Promotions are usually by attrition. Everybody works in fear of loosing their jobs. Honestly, worst place I’ve ever worked . Life’s too short to deal with Acklands.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Managers and supervisor very confusing to work with
great place to work, outstanding staff
Shipper-Receiver (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK24 January 2019
Spent 11 1/2 yrs there. the staff and manager were outstanding to work with. The culture was customer driven and we tried to succeed were others failed to produce. All in all, one of the best places i have worked in.
Lack of Focus
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St Laurent, QC18 January 2019
This company is good depending on your goals. My experience there was not insightful as managers were using me to boost their stats and not get any compensation or rewards for my work. No possibility for advancements since Mangers need to keep its good employees to hit their target goals. And lastly higher management will not take any advice or recommendations you offer simply because they do not value your opinion or judgment (whether they acknowledge it or not) hence why they are so lost and disorganized. Managers would have at least 3 meetings a week to discuss "changes" that kept being pushed back primarily due lack of leadership focus and implementation (actions).
Staff was fun to work with, managment made work environments difficult
Team lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2019
Staff was fun to work with, managment made work environments difficult. Indecisive business decisions and poor communication
Good pay and benefits/holidays
Get out
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2019
Worked for them for over 10 years, started off great...but when the economy went south, they started getting rid of people. They started with the most experienced people first....just my opinion.
Great company
Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON6 December 2018
I loved working at AGI. The company has potential growth, the environment was bright and the people were very fun, energetic and easy to get along with. I would recommend this company to anyone, especially when you are not being micromanaged... which helps you get the work done at a timely manner without a manager hovering over you to get things done their way.

I hope this company remains like that forever. I unfortunately left the company because I had a baby and felt it was too difficult to go back to work after my maternity leave. I do regret leaving as I loved my job and would consider going back, should a position open in the near future.

Management is great to work with in this company and there is always room to grow!
Pros
great location, fun environment
Cons
one to two times a week required for late shift. Only a half hr lunch break, even though you work 8.5 hour days
terrible training, bad management
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB west side22 November 2018
Would not recommend if you are looking for a stable job. management is poor, the company puts its needs ahead of the workers needs. Very disorganized and safety is ok at best.
Productive and Quite place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2018
A typical day at work would start with a safety meeting led by the supervisor and instruction on what each workers would be doing that night.What i learn from Ackland Grainger was working alone most of the time which i didn't do much on my previous jobs.
Management was OK because most of the time we manage our self and we didn't see the supervisor that much and everyone was always busy.The workplace culture was great and everyone was friendly.
The hardest part of the job was we had to use a walkie talkie to get hold of the supervisor but sometimes its so busy and everyone one is on it that its hard to get hold of the supervisor.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working nights because it felt like time was going really fast.
Pros
Cons
lack of management
great, knowledgable staff
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB24 October 2018
freedom to manage your account and develop your territory, excellent remuneration package and benefits, accessible, to major suppliers and training programs and product knowledge
Pros
acklands nation wide trade show
Cons
some staff do not follow a common goal to achieve success
Fun Fast paced work enviroment
Territory Sales/Counter Sales/Shipper Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC23 October 2018
Territory/Counter sales included phone and walk in customers from automotive and industrial trades.
Learned many different product lines and how to deal with all situations with customer service.
Management was keen and family focused
Very good culture, ethical.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON23 October 2018
Great company in general with good people.
Best vendor partners, and training available.
Room to grow and increase your knowledge, with good support from direct management.
Annual Tradeshow and Gala was always fun!

Too many changes and loss of company focus in the end.
Environnement changeant constamment et stressant
Ventes internes (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 October 2018
Trop de changement de direction, pas de direction claire. Objectifs de rendement instables. Peu de considération pour les employés
Great culture and company to work for! Lots of changes!!
ISSR (Current Employee) –  Ontario15 October 2018
While currently going through huge changes in how they are going to market there has been many layoffs, as well as a mass exodus of a lot of great Leaders, Sales people and Support people.

With an appreciation for who Acklands-Grainger has been I only have positive things to say; but with the US parent company Grainger pushing more of their American vision of how an MRO business should be run I am not sure how this will work out. Many of the changes to keep Acklands-Grainger being a profitable company are necessary and while many of the changes created can only make things better some of the changes feel heavy handed, forced and yet another Canadian arm of a company becoming Americanized. I can only hope that with all of these changes Acklands comes out more stable and stays as Canadian as possible.
Pros
Great corporate culture, growth opportunities, clearly mapped plan that is communicated to all employees laying out their place in the plan
Cons
Current changes have created a lot of insecurity and uncertainty, US parent company trying to make another Canadian made company fit their mold
Productive job
Senior / Semi-Senior, Credit and Collections (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada30 September 2018
Good job for a short period of time
Administrative and Customer Service position.
Collections, Clerical and file support.
Attending customer over the phone with account statements.
Nice schedule and good boss.
Pros
Flexible Schedule working until 4pm
Cons
sometimes not supportive.
Acklands unit adapts to new realities
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 September 2018
Acklands unit undergoing rebuild of processes, objectives and footprint.
Focus is towards e-commerce with resulting impacts on branch numbers, fulfillment and on-line presence.
Pros
A leading on-line B2B supplier, connections and job opportunities with suppliers and international units.
Cons
Job security issues as business makes hard decisions to adapt to competitive environment
Our branch was closed
Inside Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON28 September 2018
Great co-workers to work with. Worked very well and had an excellent manager that was always willing to help all of us with any questions that we had.
Acklands Edson
Inside Sales/Warehouse/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB23 September 2018
The work was good it was Monday to Friday 630 to 5 pm. great wage for a employee of 2 years. i was a warehouse worker to start then worked my way up to in side sales position in just over 1 year. i would still be with the company if it was not for the fact that they closed almost 200 stores in 2 years. my store being 1 of them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grainger. Our community is ready to answer.