GradeSlam

GradeSlam Employee Reviews

Canada6 reviews
CEO and CTO make a great deal of effort to make you feel that you are important, irreplaceable and the product makes difference.
It's true they have a lot of students but hardly anyone uses it. Tutors are just random students (often international) who help you by asking questions.

Management is underqualified - they are mostly people who started early. They are amazing people but everything they do is hit or miss.

If you accept an offer, never ever can you trust the founders. They will smile, treat you like a friend and then fire you over the phone - that happened.

It's a good place for an internship and that's all.

Something funny - everyone there is either an associate or a manager there
Pros
Fun place.
Cons
People just diappear. You won't learn a lot.
First off - the company is growing extremely fast. When I started working we were about 20 employees. Now I believe there are over 50 with an office in LA as well. Everything in the company is results based so you have to have that mindset to succeed.

For engineers we work on sprints (typically that range between 2 weeks and a month). We are split into a front-end and back-end team.

Pros:

-Ability to grow rapidly. You end up taking on a lot of responsibility, quickly.

-Recognition in front of entire company at the end of every sprint which makes us feel appreciated.

-Really amazing team and company culture.

Cons:

-We often have to put up with growing pains (renovations, noise, etc.) that can make it hard to concentrate.

-Starting salaries can be low. I was quickly given a raise and promotion as have most others.

In closing, if you are ambitious and driven then you absolutely should want to work here. The demands are high but that is why the company is growing so fast.
CEO and management do a good job of making the opportunity seem exciting; fast-paced, growing company with the opportunity to actually make a difference in the education space. Boy was that untrue.

You're paid next to nothing, no benefits while I worked there, low incentives. They would try to have sales contests to boost morale but it just pinned people against the other, and the losers had to do extra work for the winners.

Very high turn over, people would quit or get fired regularly, as they had a policy of no notice. Treated people poorly and on top of it all the product isn't nearly as good as they make it seem, all smoke and mirrors.
Working from home as a remote tutor gives you a lot of flexibility, company is expanding and growing its customer base, so be prepared for being able to handle multiple students at a time, but overall love helping out the students and learning something new every day.
GradeSlam's team is a joy to work with. Sharp and passionate tean and bosses make all the difference!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENED to anyone that wants to work in the tech industry!
I have worked at Gradeslam for over two years and have enjoyed the flexibility and independence that employees are given. I really admire the company's focus on customer service and student progress as reflected in their regular client satisfaction assessments and collecting of student/teacher feedback. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the difference a simple chat-based conversation with a student can have on their understanding and overall confidence, as well as the flexibility one as a tutor is granted, in terms of schedule and the amount of work hours.
Pros
ability to work from home, flexibility, efficient and professional employers
Cons
hard to get shifts during certain periods of the year like summer and Christmas
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GradeSlam. Our community is ready to answer.
GradeSlam Reviews by Location