Grade A

Grade A Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews

Great people, useless upper management.

They care about their employees in every way except the most important one which is also the reason to even have a job, your pay. The benefits and vacation time are also below average.The people there are great but all of their most senior employees who haven't made it into the upper management cabal are leaving in droves. Burnout is a huge problem here as they refuse to pay a wage comparable to anywhere else resulting in nobody wanting to work here as a potential new employee or as an existing one. It almost feels as if they are intentionally trying to end their business here in Ottawa in favor of their newly acquired US locations.

Pros

They do seem to respect your work life balance.

Cons

Below average pay and benefits, tone deaf upper management

5 November 2021
I want to start by thanking you for the feedback – even if it is hard to hear. I agree we have lost too many GREAT, long-standing People this year. This was not predicted, intentional, nor our goal. We have leadership focused on improving things for our People. We know the pandemic, remote work world, client needs, and the merger we did with Convergence and then later ASK added to the stress. This trend is very concerning, and all our efforts are on changing the pattern. On overall benefits we are working on improving this, the fix unfortunately is not one that can be completed instantly. We are in the process of standardizing time off for all locations, improving the health care plan in Ottawa at our renewal in 2022, and we have standardized job descriptions between all locations with the goal of doing a salary study to get in line with fair market. I did want to clarify one point where there appears to be some confusion based on feedback. Grade A / Ottawa was not acquired, legally or otherwise, by Convergence / Portland. Operationally we are merging, with the same leaders we had pre-merger, sitting in critical leadership roles. Legally we are a merged entity that includes all the same pre-merger shareholders, as well as an investment partner, Riverside. And, we are DEFINITELY NOT trying to end any business in Ottawa, Portland, or Lansing. We are trying our best, which as leaders, we clearly need to do a better job at! If you ever want to talk, just send me an email or give me a call. Even when it’s hard to hear, feedback is needed to change the course. Eric Gray -

A sinking ship

Grade A is in a dire state, they are bleeding people and aren’t doing anything to try and retain them.Salaries are well below the national average, management doesn’t listen to it’s employees or take their feedback into account at all, and with each day it was becoming more obvious that the focus is on the US company that acquired them rather than fixing the growing list of problems that exist at grade a. For anyone looking to apply here, know that your path to any sort of promotion or growth will be next to non-existent and you will not be valued no matter what you bring to the table. You are more valuable at EVERY other msp.For management, you need to value your employees and stop weighting in on decisions you have no background on. Each part of this company operates differently and there are no standards between them, and you value your bottom line 10x more than any of your employees. Be honest with the employees and stop making false promises, the growing list of negative reviews on here are reflecting how poorly this company is being managed.

Pros

Employees are great people

Cons

Below average pay, no investment into employees or their well-being, no growth opportunities

5 November 2021
I want to start by apologizing that your experience here was not positive. We do have many issues, some of which you mentioned. All our leaders are focused on improving things for our People. Some of the issues are exacerbated by the merger we did with Convergence and then later with ASK, which is seen in the loss of some GREAT People, not just in Ottawa but Portland as well. This is something I can say we are very aware of, concerned about, sad to see happening, and trying our best to change the tide on. I also agree the parts of the business that have merged still operate very differently, especially between markets. This is to be expected and our approach to improving this is gradual, to minimize the impact of change on our staff and clients. Perhaps a sweeping, drastic change would be better, getting us to the future state world quick but with a ton of distribution. Regardless of the method, we have a lot of smart People working on merging systems and standardizing the how. Although I am sure our execution has not been perfect, there are some bright spots that have happened or are in the works. Just a few that stand out to me, which perhaps we failed to communicate clearly, include:• We have hired 24 people in Ottawa and promoted 6 people internally this year, living our Why to Empower People and Growth value. • We have implemented stay interviews for Ottawa staff to give direct, honest feedback to leaders. This has provided GREAT feedback and led to several changes. We are listening!• We have increased the number of holidays we provide all staff. • We are in the process -

Culture-Based Office with High Expectations

The culture of the office is seemingly vibrant, if a bit shallow if you try to engage with others. It seems that there is an expectation to conform to a particular personality type otherwise you will be sidelined.Employee expectations were high. It felt that everybody was expected to fit two or three hours of work into one hour. Those who did achieve this consistently would be punished if they have an off day. It's strange, though. Specific employees who are constantly underperforming are given special treatment whereas you'll see a steady turnover of other employees for no reason.Individualism is not a high priority for this workplace. Expressing ideas should be avoided. Keep your head down, stay at your post, and log off at the end of your shift.Given how this workplace has a wide range of clients, this is at least a good place to gain exposure to the various IT needs of different businesses.

Pros

social events, comfortable break room

Cons

unfocused management, random layoffs

Don't believe or trust the hype or the management

Grade A is an alright place to start out a career, not a good place to grow one. A lot of the rank and file people are cool and fun to work with but management will lie to you. They'll make promises they never intend to keep and demand loyalty from you without earning it. Random firings to scare people into line are common. They pay is poor, so are the benefits. The owners are almost never there and live in huge houses and drive fancy cars but there's never money for raises of bonuses, even when they sign new clients all the time. Office gossip and backstabbing are common and never stopped. And if you even hint about leaving to go work for another IT company, you will be intimidated, threatened and receive letters from lawyers. The owners and management claim it's an "employee focused company." Don't believe the hype and lies. They're in this for them and only care about you until you become too expensive or noisy, then you're their enemy.

3 June 2020
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. Please know that this is important to us, and management has read your review. We are working to ensure that your concerns are addressed within our current team. All the best.

If i were you I would avoid this Place and work else where.

The place is like working in a dungeon. all you do is solve problems for all sorts of mean and not understanding people who brake stuff, blame you and the company and then demand that you fix it. Management does not have your back, no matter what the tell you in the interview you are on your own. I would never recommend this company for any IT professional.

23 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. It has been passed on to management and we will be working to ensure that no current or future employees experience these feelings. All the best going forward.

Easily the best place I've ever worked at.

I've been doing IT for nearly 20 years, and I have learned more in the last 2+ years here than in the entirety of my career. The culture is great and inclusive, and management is willing to try new things and admit when they were wrong. Advancement can come quickly to the people who are willing to actually work for it and get involved and the pay is decent. The hardest part of the job is the pace, the company is constantly growing and keeping up with all of the moving pieces can be daunting, but it's also one of the best parts of the job. Mistakes are identified and dealt with as soon as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, everyone here recognizes that we need to work as a team, and while there may be the occasional roadblock we always work through it. There's something to be said about being able to walk into any upper management office and have a chat. It's a great environment. In other places you are a person in a chair, I've learned here that I can actually be valued as an employee.

23 December 2019
Thank you for writing this review! It has been reviewed by management and we have taken your advice into account. It is always our goal to make employees feel valued, and we're glad that this was your experience of Grade A. All the best going forward!

Fantastic IT Services Company with Great People & Culture

The company is a great place for anyone who loves technology. You get the chance to gain experience with a wide variety of platforms and technologies, as well as different industries. This is useful for developing your career whether you stay with the organization or eventually go elsewhere. The team and management are very supportive and open to all kinds of feedback. There's really an open door policy at all levels. The company is growing and I think the biggest challenge for everyone is dealing with the amount of changes that occur. While normal for a company on the rise, that doesn't make it any less difficult. I believe in the ultimate success of the company primarily due to the team (and teams) involved, and the people at all levels.

Terrible

Bad place to work. Bad management. Long probation.

3 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. Please know that this is important to us. Management has read your review and is taking your comment on our probation policy into consideration. All the best.

Positive, hard working and fun place to work

A place where hard work is rewarded, understanding of real life is accepted especially around family life. They keep there fingers on the pulse of cutting edge technologies that benefit their customers. Their customers love them based on their responsiveness and approach.

Pros

Family flexibility, employee focused, up to date on newest technologies

Great for IT Generalists or the Jack of all Trades type!!!

This is can be a good starting point for college graduates with no experience or someone changing careers and looking to break into the IT field. Also, if you are a seasoned professional who loves supporting a huge variety of clients and being challenged by very complex IT environments daily, then you can give it a try. Interview process: Grade A has a very long interview process. First step is to fill out an online application (with basic technical questions ) , phone screen interview, and 2 in person interviews ( first is personal and second is technical) . Worked for other competitors before and the process was not as long as this.

Pros

Free lunches, Exposure to a wide variety of technology, Helpful teammates

Cons

Unprofessionalism, Random Layoffs, Low pay

Dont believe the hype

This company bills itself as a young, fun, inclusive company, the reality couldn't be further from the truth. I would never recommend anyone to either work for them or to employ them to do any work for your business. Management will talk about you behind your back and the past history of just firing people randomly isn't good. Poor morale, lack of leadership and not a good place to be

fun place to work with pool table

Great people to work with, young dynamic, lots of fun at work with after hours activities. The people at GradeA are hard working and the owners are very employee focused.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grade A. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8