Gowling WLG

Gowling WLG Employee Reviews

Canada60 reviews
Good environment, friendly staff, nice culture, staff appreciation week. However, very low salary for legal administrative staff and lots of monotonius, routine work
It is a busy environment and you work hard but you are compensated for that. I would like to work from home but not everyone in the company is able to. Good work/life balance. Lots of opportunities to learn and improve skills.
The office is a refurbished one, very spacious and well lighted. It's fun and the infrasctructures are modern.
The working hours are flexible and people or many of them are friendly.
Culture of excellence, but that comes with pressure. Support seems to be available when asked for.

Generally nice people and predictable work. Compensation is good.

Nice parties and social events.
At one time it was a good company then a new office manager was hired. He changed how the office was run and had too many favorites. The lawyers also put a lot of workload on their staff causing many to leave or take time off. Respect to you staff goes a long way.
I have been with the Firm for about a year now. I could tell during my interview that my values aligned with the company and with my Supervisor. Although the interview process was thorough I think it needed to be in order to find the right person for the role.

What I like most about working here is that I work with people that are passionate about their area of law and support one another. The Firm works very hard to provide the best service to our clients, and to support our Staff in the process. There is always something to look forward to as Staff and I've never had so many paid days off around the holidays. I've always been able to suggest improvements and like how the OMP and GM are both approachable.

Also we get to wear jeans. Which seems minor but it's nice to have a professional but laid back atmosphere - the lawyers go to events with the staff. We all work together and can enjoy these activities together - no unnecessary hierarchy and divisions which hasn't always been my experience in other places.

Rated worklife balance a bit lower as it's been busy and I'm new so I'm still settling in and need more time. The Firm lets us leave early the Friday before long weekends and I have fair hours of work. Benefits I rated somewhat lower because I find the app that goes with my benefits a bit frustrating as I can't see what is left for coverage for things like massage and chiro.
My job at Gowling WLG is constantly changing. Just when you think you have it down pat, there is always something new to learn. It makes the job exciting, and the days go by quickly.
Heavy work load, did not find work/life balance, Management not helpful at all, Did not find friendly environment.

Overall is a okay place to work, but I have decided to move on..
They don't like newcomers and terminate without cause leaving you feeling frustrated and degraded with no explanation. The expectations are very high even when they know that you are new to the job.
Horrible place to work - Management has favorites and does not discipline according to protocols.
Every day, there is always something new to work on so there is nothing repetitive to work on (unless specified). The environment of the company is fairly positive and respectable while maintaining company standards.
Pros
Free events
Cons
A very hands-on job that allows you to learn as you go. Produced valuable skills throughout the job like working through a fast-paced environment and or multitasking etc.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Scroll down and you will see the executive assistant to the General Manager in the Calgary office left a 3 star review. This alone speaks volumes about this firm on many levels.
Cons
Very poorly run firm.
Difficult to communicate with management. A typical work day could be somewhat chaotic so make sure you love what you do. I learnt that in a big, corporate machine there is a huge level of competition amongst coworkers.
No appreciation for staff. Old boys club mentality. Outdated technology and procedures. Large firm means you are just a number and benefits are skimmed down. All talk, no action. No opportunity for advancement.
Gowlings is downtown Ottawa in a great location. Lots to do and see downtown and easy access by bus on the transitway and soon to be LRT. Nice building
Gowlings WLG is always busy, typical day at work is busy all day, I learned office rules and regulations, I learned to work with all employees in each department. Management was always helpful and respectful. The hardest part of the job was having multiple deadlines due each day and always being successful in meeting all deadlines daily.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that everyone is treated with respect and teamwork was always part of our daily routine.
Pros
Employee Perks, ex: lunch and learns.
Cons
I have no cons.
HR people are amazing but are often put in situations where the people they place within the company are overtaxed to the breaking point. Supportive people can only go so far.
Other than the commute, I very much enjoy coming to work in the morning. I work with an amazing group of people and the chemistry of our team makes things happen. This firm has many programs for employees to better themselves and they encourage you to do so. They provide lunch and learns to assist you in areas where you might need a little encouragement. The hardest part of my job is the commute in and home, but that's my choice to live where I live.
Pros
A+ for employees
Cons
Located downtown
Such a great environment that makes you passionate to work in the legal field.

Great compensation package and great team to work with.

There is always someone to help you out.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hectic work load
Great place to work if you work with a nice lawyer who actually knows his/her stuff (of which there are few). If you don't, run. Fast. Good benefits shouldn't outweigh your dignity.
Benefits
Cons
Lawyers with God Complexes
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gowling WLG. Our community is ready to answer.