Work wellbeing score is 67 out of 100

Government of the Northwest Territories Employee Reviews

Canada64 reviews

benefitenjoytimehardplacepeoplegoodworking

Great learning experience

The job provides amazing opportunities to fork out onto various career path. The benefits are super great and the presence of a union really goes a long way.

Good pay but toxic environment

Keep your head down and do your work. Do not get involved with office politics. Money is good. Staff is 50% good 50% bad. Can be incredibly disorganized at times.

Insights into Government of the Northwest Territories

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Great experience by working with first nations and learning their history

What is the best part of working at the company?The experience I have gained working with first nation by learning there history and part take in the activities were a learning process for awareness. Which lead me more to understand the importance of embracing other beliefs.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The accessibility of goods and services.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Still promote the native culture by getting elders participating in their cultural activities. What is a typical day like for you at the company?The typical day at my company is the same routine with maybe unexpected situation

Has its moments

Depends largely on who is in senior management.There is a lot of confusion as policies change.There is a lot of lattitude in setting guidelines between units which makes it hard for consistancy

Challenging, great experience!

If you like a challenge and to be kept busy, then this is the position for you! I enjoyed my time in the GNWT as both Administrative Assistant and Senior Administrative Coordinator.

lots of work to do

There is always lots of work available to do with a varying amount of persons able to do that work. If you happen to be one of those persons who comes to work on time and ready to work the day is your oyster as you will be able to do all of your work plus the work of those that do not show up.

Pros

Cons

long hours, last minute schedule changes

Nice working atmosphere and a great team to work with

The Aurora college is working through its transformation process to a polytecnique. It seems that the Government is investing in advancing the programs, processes and facilities which is very positive. Overall, a wonderful place to work, friendly atmosphere, skilled coworkers and great benefit package. A typical day at work is 7.5 hours without overtime, the management is generally acommodating and flexible. I am very happy about working there and I'd recommend GNWT and specifically Aurora College to anyone. NWT might have some drawbacks as all isolated places do but people who do not mind the winter and the remoteness can certainly make the best out of it.

Productive and Great place to gain experience

Is an organization that allows room for growth and advancement career. They support and assist employee when needed. The management tends to help when needed. Overall is a great place to gain experience and advance your career.

Pros

Career Advancement

Cons

Cannot think of one

Does not Keep Staff, Very Toxic Environment

Positions are based on Interview score only not on Education/Seniority/or Experience. Virtually no communication with your Manager/or Supervisor. They offer Term positions, move employees up here and then do not renew these positions. They then tell the Media and Staff, that they are short when in theory these positions are not being filled by HR. Managers and supervisors are not qualified for their positions, most of them just stand around or talk all day. Benefits are mediocre for Government. Pay is only good on Paper. After taxes and pensions, it is the same as about any other mid-range job.

Quick responses required for Public concern

Managed multi Divisions that offered services to the public and other government departments within the region and offered considerable job satisfaction.

Good workplace, good benefits, good salary

The GNWT is a good place to work. Yellowknife is a nice city, although the remoteness is not for everyone. I recommended the GNWT as a place to work. The benefits are generous.

Pros

Money

Cons

Stressful

Docketing

It used to be that one of the benefits of being a government lawyer, despite lower pay, was no docketing. Well, not sure about all GNWT lawyers, but my group now has to docket every minute of the day. It's torture and I don't recommend working here. Big Brother is monitoring your every move.

Pros

good vacation

Cons

docketing every minute of the day

Excellent work environment

Worked in sahtu region for health and social services at nursing station - work place environment was excellent and a great experience overall with clean facilities, access ton tech supported health care like digital X-ray, organized work place and knowledgeable support staff. I found the community and its members very friendly and engaging.

I was very pleased while working for GNWT

Great place to work, good salary and benefits, great team and the immediate supervisor I worked with. The only disadvantage is the remote location far from major Canadian cities and cold winters in Yellowknife as well as shortage of medical staff. But overall it was a great experience there and if not for my health issues I would continue to work there.

Pros

Great place to work, good salary and benefits

Cons

remote location

Living in the NWT & Nunavut

Very demanding job, lots of travel, great job if your young and need lots of experience. Must be a bit of a homebody and enjoy indoor activities as Winters are long, dark and cold.

Pros

Excellent job experience

Cons

Not a lot of technical support

Interview process is largely based on who you know not what you know.

With the current department I’m with it’s hard to get information and training. I’ve been there almost two years, whenever I ask for information I get the run around and no one wants to share what they know. Promotions are given to friends and family of Senior management. It’s a very stressful and frustrating situation.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Training opportunities, getting information required for job, work environment

Stressful and does not treat everyone equal

Hard to learn from other employees who want to keep the knowledge for their benefit after retirement. Typical day is in the office at a desk. Not very much of the job was enjoyable.

I enjoyed working at the courthouse and they had an amazing team to work with and I have learned so much about their system and would love to work for them in the future.

productive place to work

Enjoy coming into work early mornings. Great team to work with, everyone is wonderful and supportive. They help with you growth personally and professionally.

GNWT- education

High employee turnover, day to day activities fairly the same. Management can be very unsupportive and unapproachable. Work environment depends on management and coworkers. Learning from others can be challenging as some employees want to keep their knowledge to themselves them ad

A good place to work

Hard for non native to seek full time work, cost of living high, isolation, winter road access only, lacking in fracture for sports and you must love winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of the Northwest Territories. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement