Government of the Northwest Territories logo
Government of the Northwest Territories

Government of the Northwest Territories Employee Reviews

Interview process is largely based on who you know not what you know.

With the current department I’m with it’s hard to get information and training. I’ve been there almost two years, whenever I ask for information I get the run around and no one wants to share what they know. Promotions are given to friends and family of Senior management. It’s a very stressful and frustrating situation.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Training opportunities, getting information required for job, work environment

Living in the NWT & Nunavut

Very demanding job, lots of travel, great job if your young and need lots of experience. Must be a bit of a homebody and enjoy indoor activities as Winters are long, dark and cold.

Pros

Excellent job experience

Cons

Not a lot of technical support

I enjoyed working at the courthouse and they had an amazing team to work with and I have learned so much about their system and would love to work for them in the future.

GNWT- education

High employee turnover, day to day activities fairly the same. Management can be very unsupportive and unapproachable. Work environment depends on management and coworkers. Learning from others can be challenging as some employees want to keep their knowledge to themselves them ad

A good place to work

Hard for non native to seek full time work, cost of living high, isolation, winter road access only, lacking in fracture for sports and you must love winter

An employer who helps you learn and grow

Friendly staff left, right and center. You learn something new everyday and everyone in the office is friendly and approachable, a place where they are more than happy to help you grow as an individual.

A good employer in my experience.

Working for the GNWT was a positive experience. The work is challenging, but mentally stimulating. There's lots of opportunity for training and advancement. Cons: Cost of living is very high in Northwest Territories and social problems in the NWT can be disheartening.

Enjoyed working for this Company

Unfortunately was employed only Casual on short term contracts. Renewed contracts every 5 to 6 months which Saved the company dollars. I never received Job security which is a major disadvantage for employee`s.

Managers on power trips.

Management are aloof and unable to cooperate with employees to do anything outside of the mandate, As a result an inflexible system of services that only maintain a status quo and lead to a continuation of the same issues and problems. The North will be the same in 20 years as it is now as the band-aid procedures and the cover your butt mentality continues to support those in power. Any new ideas are quickly seen as threatening despite the science behind them For example they still advocate for 12 step addiction treatment.

Pros

Pay is good.

Cons

Feels like a police state, they monitor you facebook, control your every action outside and in work.

Not what it’s cut out to be

Micromanaged, have to request vacation a year in advance, have to call all senior managers until you get an answer if you are sick or cant make it in to work. People who actually work, also do the work for those who are there to just collect a paycheque

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Everything else

Jobs at Government of the Northwest Territories

See more jobs

Casual Sub Teacher

Very good benefits. I enjoyed working with the children. The wages are exceptional. GNWT treats their employees with proper respect and has positive ethics.

Outdated hierarchy structure. Union set to go on strike.

Opportunities internally for some people. For other people not part of the clique you are in a dead end job. Bonus for the unlucky ones is is putting up with bullies, egos, ostracism. Everyone trying to get ahead at the expense of others. No flow of Information like everything is top secret.

Pros

Christmas off

Cons

High cost of living so salary appears much better than it is.

The best all around employer

A very liberal set of benefits, pension, paid time off. There is much room for advancement, a perfect place to meet people and you won't have to work more than 37.5 hours per week, not unless you want to

Pros

Work Life Balance

Cons

It's cold up there

Very open to self creativity workplace

Opportunity to develop capacity and provide program funding for municipal recreation departments, schools and youth serving organizations in the N.W.T.

Pros

Duty Travel - allows for in person capacity development

Cons

At times a little too much bureaucracy.

Excellent Experience

I have learned a lot from this job and gained a lot of experience throughout my time as an administrative assistant. I believe I was a great asset to their establishment.

Excellent workplace with great people

The Government of the Northwest Territories, particularly Environment and Natural Resources, is an excellent workplace that provides a variety of learning opportunities and friendly groups of people to consult with.

great pay

You will never have to worry about being poor and get to buy a house in the north. Work is repetitive people are easy to get a long with most of the time.

Pros

you get to buy lots of things

Cons

location

Administration

Was an enjoyable work environment with many opportunities to educate and learn. Fast paced customer service, Hardest part of the job was unruly clients not having proper paperwork. But being able to solve their problems with a smile was enjoyable.

Pros

Great hours

Good working relationships, friendly organization

Excellent organization to work with. Excel in training and furthering you career. Special projects with time constraints and willing to help in all area.

Pros

Excellent co workers, happy work place

Cons

Short deadlines can be consuming

Boss wasnt that great

Maybe it was just my luck that the boss I had was a mean person. Other people seemed nice, but seemed closed off in their cubicles. I would work here again only if I was assigned to a different supervisor.

Pros

Free Coffee

Cons

Poor Management

productive and hard work

I would go into work by 7 am and attend morning meetings with the crew who is on shift and night shift. We would then get the patients dressed and feed them breakfast and lunch. I would then attend to the daily chores, and then do the afternoon activities with the patients. My co workers were extremely supportive and helpful in helping me fulfill daily tasks. I most enjoyed doing the social activities.

Pros

Getting to know the patients

Cons

Going to work early

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of the Northwest Territories. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement