Government of the Northwest Territories

Government of the Northwest Territories Employee Reviews

With the current department I’m with it’s hard to get information and training. I’ve been there almost two years, whenever I ask for information I get the run around and no one wants to share what they know. Promotions are given to friends and family of Senior management. It’s a very stressful and frustrating situation.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Training opportunities, getting information required for job, work environment
I enjoyed working at the courthouse and they had an amazing team to work with and I have learned so much about their system and would love to work for them in the future.
High employee turnover, day to day activities fairly the same. Management can be very unsupportive and unapproachable. Work environment depends on management and coworkers. Learning from others can be challenging as some employees want to keep their knowledge to themselves them ad
Hard for non native to seek full time work, cost of living high, isolation, winter road access only, lacking in fracture for sports and you must love winter
Friendly staff left, right and center. You learn something new everyday and everyone in the office is friendly and approachable, a place where they are more than happy to help you grow as an individual.
Working for the GNWT was a positive experience. The work is challenging, but mentally stimulating. There's lots of opportunity for training and advancement. Cons: Cost of living is very high in Northwest Territories and social problems in the NWT can be disheartening.
Unfortunately was employed only Casual on short term contracts. Renewed contracts every 5 to 6 months which Saved the company dollars. I never received Job security which is a major disadvantage for employee`s.
Management are aloof and unable to cooperate with employees to do anything outside of the mandate, As a result an inflexible system of services that only maintain a status quo and lead to a continuation of the same issues and problems. The North will be the same in 20 years as it is now as the band-aid procedures and the cover your butt mentality continues to support those in power. Any new ideas are quickly seen as threatening despite the science behind them For example they still advocate for 12 step addiction treatment.
Pros
Pay is good.
Cons
Feels like a police state, they monitor you facebook, control your every action outside and in work.
Micromanaged, have to request vacation a year in advance, have to call all senior managers until you get an answer if you are sick or cant make it in to work. People who actually work, also do the work for those who are there to just collect a paycheque
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Government of the Northwest Territories?
Very good benefits. I enjoyed working with the children. The wages are exceptional. GNWT treats their employees with proper respect and has positive ethics.
Opportunities internally for some people. For other people not part of the clique you are in a dead end job. Bonus for the unlucky ones is is putting up with bullies, egos, ostracism. Everyone trying to get ahead at the expense of others. No flow of Information like everything is top secret.
Pros
Christmas off
Cons
High cost of living so salary appears much better than it is.
A very liberal set of benefits, pension, paid time off. There is much room for advancement, a perfect place to meet people and you won't have to work more than 37.5 hours per week, not unless you want to
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
It's cold up there
Opportunity to develop capacity and provide program funding for municipal recreation departments, schools and youth serving organizations in the N.W.T.
Pros
Duty Travel - allows for in person capacity development
Cons
At times a little too much bureaucracy.
I have learned a lot from this job and gained a lot of experience throughout my time as an administrative assistant. I believe I was a great asset to their establishment.
The Government of the Northwest Territories, particularly Environment and Natural Resources, is an excellent workplace that provides a variety of learning opportunities and friendly groups of people to consult with.
You will never have to worry about being poor and get to buy a house in the north. Work is repetitive people are easy to get a long with most of the time.
Pros
you get to buy lots of things
Cons
location
Was an enjoyable work environment with many opportunities to educate and learn. Fast paced customer service, Hardest part of the job was unruly clients not having proper paperwork. But being able to solve their problems with a smile was enjoyable.
Pros
Great hours
Excellent organization to work with. Excel in training and furthering you career. Special projects with time constraints and willing to help in all area.
Pros
Excellent co workers, happy work place
Cons
Short deadlines can be consuming
Maybe it was just my luck that the boss I had was a mean person. Other people seemed nice, but seemed closed off in their cubicles. I would work here again only if I was assigned to a different supervisor.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Poor Management
I would go into work by 7 am and attend morning meetings with the crew who is on shift and night shift. We would then get the patients dressed and feed them breakfast and lunch. I would then attend to the daily chores, and then do the afternoon activities with the patients. My co workers were extremely supportive and helpful in helping me fulfill daily tasks. I most enjoyed doing the social activities.
Pros
Getting to know the patients
Cons
Going to work early
Practical Nurse in the NWT working in a nursing home in Fort Smith. This little community is beautiful. The NWT government pays great and have excellent benefits and incentives. Locum work can be anything as short as 6 weeks and you can stay as long as you can. Permanent placements even give the option to bank 20% of your pay each week and after 4 years you can take an entire year off - paid!! Just one of the many perks that make NWT one of Canada's top employers. As with anywhere, you will find people both easy and hard to get along with. However, if your only reason for working north is money, you may have a hard time getting along with your co-workers, as many hate southerners coming north only to "win the lottery," then leave as soon as their bank account is full. If you take time to know your co-workers, residents, patients, neighbours, cashiers, etc., you will find it more rewarding. An adventurous spirit goes a long way. As for the weather - it's actually beautiful this far south while still north. It's right on the Alberta and NWT border so you're surrounded by trees rather than rocks and January and February are the only months that become extremely cold, though it's a dry cold. Oh, and northern lights on almost any night without clouds!
Pros
Seeing Canada's great white north, good people, excellent work environment
Cons
Alcoholism, abuse, street people, summertime bugs