Government of Saskatchewan

Government of Saskatchewan Pay & Benefits reviews

Canada73 reviews
Develop expertise in public policy and human services delivery
Working for the Government of Saskatchewan offers many opportunities for career growth and advancement, with excellent salary and employee benefits as well as several employee networks.
Best experience of my life
I started out doing maintenance and worked my way up to an operating engineer. I was mentor trained and going to work everyday was a breeze and enjoyable. They don’t pay the best but make up with it through benefits and time off.
Not just a job - but a family
Working for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, for over two and a half years, showed me what excellent leadership, inclusivity, a supportive environment, and work-family truly looks like! Overall, ,it would be truly amazing if all organizations mimicked SHC -- or at least tried to learn from their approach towards work culture.The salary was much lower than industry average, hence the reason for my resignation, however, being a government organization they are not allowed flexibility in that aspect. Saskatchewan Government employee health and dental benefits, on the other hand, are among the best I've ever seen.
Pros
Inclusivity, personal development, support, flexibility, understanding management
Cons
Low industry wages, insufficient training funds, underfunded resources
Very good
Great place to work. Good benefits. Great staff. Flexible working conditions. Loved it.

All in all a rewarding experience. Lots of room for advancement.
great place to work
This was an excellent place to work. The people were helpful and friendly and very knowledgeable. The pay scale could have been better and my experience wasn't a much of a factor in my day-to-day job. That being said I'm sad to leave and would love another government position.
Pros
every second Friday off, benefits
Cons
not challenging enough
Working with government gives me pride.
I enjoy being a public servant and providing non-partisan input as an analyst and citizen. The ability to know that I am doing "good work" for the public is very rewarding. I feel like I am part of the solution.
Pros
Excellent benefits and a respectful place to work.
Cons
Competitiveness with long service employees and competing for positions.
Decent
Working for the government of saskatchewan have been a pretty average experience. Direct supervisor is excellent but management is out of touch. Underpaid to work in correctional centre's. Good place to retire minus the wage.
Pros
stability, pension
Cons
low wage, negative environment
Occupational Health & Safety
The colleagues were great but beware of management. The management will segregate workers and harass them. If you attempt to stand up you will be written up and let go. The least healthy management I have ever had to work for in my 12+ years. I would suggest to stay private sector safety as OH&S doesn't have the power everyone thinks they do. Very few officers are able to give tickets, development is not encouraged but more frowned upon. The salary is mediocre at best compared to private sector. The only positive is the excess of vacation that you're able to take.
Pros
Vacation time, co-workers
Cons
Management, no development offered.
fasted paced and friendly staff
Good wages with excellent benefits package and friendly staff makes the work place a choice place to work, management is well trained as well as employees.
If only as stepping stone for you
This was a starting job. It has very nice benefits if you can afford to stay long enough emotionally and physically. The stress was not coming from the work, but from the management and some people. Management did not do any for people, whom work hard and on time. Instead, they choose their fervor. If you are not, no matter what you do. They will find excuses to point you out. Maybe that is why they have such high turnout rate.
Pros
Most co-workers are very nice; steady time and pay
good hours
daily duties included cleaning the facility I was in, Really enjoyed the diversity within the job. I worked around some fantastic people and made some life long friends.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
Brad Wall Fired Us
Professional Workplace
Excellent work environment. Good pay and room to move around if you can get on fulltime. No overtime if that is your thing, and no weekends which is very nice.
Good work environment
Close knit,
family feel,

accommodating.

Great pension benefits.
progressive pay increase

unionized

One of the best places I've worked

Good work culture
working hard at all times
working with youth

keeping a strong relationship with all clients

Making sure all around are safe within the company and the premises
Pros
free lunch
Great Job
Really loved working here they provide great benefits I got every other Monday per week off which was really nice. My manager was amazing and treated everyone great
Great place to work in SK
I was fortunate enough to have excellent bosses and wonderful colleagues over the 8 years I worked with Government of SK. They really made the difference in going from a good job to a great job. As for working at GoS, benefits and salary are great and there is excellent work/life balance pending your job position.

Workplace culture can be tricky at any location, but sometimes unionized environments as well as political environments make it a little extra frustrating at times.
crew boss
I enjoyed outdoors, had a good time. Id so be involved again. Its hard tho to get a job again with no income to go pay to get my license, it sucks. I had a good summer that year.
Stay away.
Not a place that I would recommend to anyone. It doesn't seem like anyone knows what they are doing. The over spending is ridiculous, no wonder there is a huge deficit!
Pros
100% dental/ day working hours
Cons
Everything else
Decent place for students
It's a decent place for college students to gain their first working experience in their life as the working environment is friendly and supportive. In my case, the salary is average and it's not very effective or productive to work here in the government, but it is with a good work/life balance.
Good Job Security
I enjoy working here and the people I work with. Health and Dental benefits are top of the line. Good pension plan. Weekends and Statutory holidays off.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
No room for advancement in my current position
Calm and good work environment
Good & easy work environment overall. Strict deadlines, and good management. Clean and spacious cubicles, and flexible timings help desk.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of Saskatchewan. Our community is ready to answer.