Government of Saskatchewan

Canada86 reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

Great place for students

It was great for a summer position for students. Pretty laid back and the managers were awesome as well to work with. I also got to stay healthy with all the labour work

Pros

Great hours

Cons

More pay for all the labour

Office Culture and Management from Heck

It can be difficult for people to get their "foot in the door" with the Government of Saskatchewan, and for a lot of people working for the Province is a privilege and a dream. However, the Saskatoon office for Social Services killed any dreams I had about a career in Executive Government/Public Service. Absolutely zero job training or support from management, and a toxic work culture made my tenure in this department a near-living "heck." I contemplated going on stress-leave multiple times.

Pros

Salary, Benefits

Cons

Toxic culture, No support from management

not fun at all.

overall a typical experience working for suppression or wild land firefighter when we weren’t in town. I think the only down side was being paid, the amount of work load we had was insane and the amount of pay wasn’t enough for how much work we did out there.

Review

The compensation and benefits are fair but the work is stressful. Constantly understaffed. As a public servant you have to take a lot. The work environment could be a lot safer!

Nice people. Good place to start your career.

Good company. Nice benefit. Work life balance is good. Training wasn’t organized . They need more support for new employees. Overall it’s a good place to work.

Pros

Good benefit. Good work life balance.

Cons

Salary is just okay.

OH&S - Officer experience

Inconsistent direction. Lacks strong leadership. For an organization riddled with committees, it didn't feel like much got accomplished. Lots of wasted time.Would I recommend to family or friend? - NoWork/Life balance - goodPay - reasonableHealth benefits - reasonableWorkplace culture - poor/reasonableTraining opportunities - poorAdvancement opportunities - poorHard work rewarded - poorOverall job satisfaction - poor

Pros

uniform was paid for

Cons

training was almost non-existent

Decent gig

Me and my friend both worked the election last year and had a good time with it. You mostly get to hangout with your buddies and get paid for it. The work that you do is also really easy and stress free

Cons

One of the best places I’ve worked!

I loved it. I found that everyone in management handle incidents or other work related concerns through the proper channels. The benefits were great, and the opportunity for advancement was above and beyond what I expected.

Pros

37.5 hr work week

Cons

37.5 hr work week

Develop expertise in public policy and human services delivery

Working for the Government of Saskatchewan offers many opportunities for career growth and advancement, with excellent salary and employee benefits as well as several employee networks.

Best experience of my life

I started out doing maintenance and worked my way up to an operating engineer. I was mentor trained and going to work everyday was a breeze and enjoyable. They don’t pay the best but make up with it through benefits and time off.

Not just a job - but a family

Working for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, for over two and a half years, showed me what excellent leadership, inclusivity, a supportive environment, and work-family truly looks like! Overall, ,it would be truly amazing if all organizations mimicked SHC -- or at least tried to learn from their approach towards work culture.The salary was much lower than industry average, hence the reason for my resignation, however, being a government organization they are not allowed flexibility in that aspect. Saskatchewan Government employee health and dental benefits, on the other hand, are among the best I've ever seen.

Pros

Inclusivity, personal development, support, flexibility, understanding management

Cons

Low industry wages, insufficient training funds, underfunded resources

Very good

Great place to work. Good benefits. Great staff. Flexible working conditions. Loved it. All in all a rewarding experience. Lots of room for advancement.

great place to work

This was an excellent place to work. The people were helpful and friendly and very knowledgeable. The pay scale could have been better and my experience wasn't a much of a factor in my day-to-day job. That being said I'm sad to leave and would love another government position.

Pros

every second Friday off, benefits

Cons

not challenging enough

Working with government gives me pride.

I enjoy being a public servant and providing non-partisan input as an analyst and citizen. The ability to know that I am doing "good work" for the public is very rewarding. I feel like I am part of the solution.

Pros

Excellent benefits and a respectful place to work.

Cons

Competitiveness with long service employees and competing for positions.

Decent

Working for the government of saskatchewan have been a pretty average experience. Direct supervisor is excellent but management is out of touch. Underpaid to work in correctional centre's. Good place to retire minus the wage.

Pros

stability, pension

Cons

low wage, negative environment

Occupational Health & Safety

The colleagues were great but beware of management. The management will segregate workers and harass them. If you attempt to stand up you will be written up and let go. The least healthy management I have ever had to work for in my 12+ years. I would suggest to stay private sector safety as OH&S doesn't have the power everyone thinks they do. Very few officers are able to give tickets, development is not encouraged but more frowned upon. The salary is mediocre at best compared to private sector. The only positive is the excess of vacation that you're able to take.

Pros

Vacation time, co-workers

Cons

Management, no development offered.

fasted paced and friendly staff

Good wages with excellent benefits package and friendly staff makes the work place a choice place to work, management is well trained as well as employees.

If only as stepping stone for you

This was a starting job. It has very nice benefits if you can afford to stay long enough emotionally and physically. The stress was not coming from the work, but from the management and some people. Management did not do any for people, whom work hard and on time. Instead, they choose their fervor. If you are not, no matter what you do. They will find excuses to point you out. Maybe that is why they have such high turnout rate.

Pros

Most co-workers are very nice; steady time and pay

good hours

daily duties included cleaning the facility I was in, Really enjoyed the diversity within the job. I worked around some fantastic people and made some life long friends.

Pros

great benifits

Cons

Brad Wall Fired Us

Professional Workplace

Excellent work environment. Good pay and room to move around if you can get on fulltime. No overtime if that is your thing, and no weekends which is very nice.

Good work environment

Close knit, family feel, accommodating. Great pension benefits. progressive pay increase unionized One of the best places I've worked Good work culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of Saskatchewan. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement