Government of Saskatchewan

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Great place for students

It was great for a summer position for students. Pretty laid back and the managers were awesome as well to work with. I also got to stay healthy with all the labour work

Pros

Great hours

Cons

More pay for all the labour

Office Culture and Management from Heck

It can be difficult for people to get their "foot in the door" with the Government of Saskatchewan, and for a lot of people working for the Province is a privilege and a dream. However, the Saskatoon office for Social Services killed any dreams I had about a career in Executive Government/Public Service. Absolutely zero job training or support from management, and a toxic work culture made my tenure in this department a near-living "heck." I contemplated going on stress-leave multiple times.

Pros

Salary, Benefits

Cons

Toxic culture, No support from management

not fun at all.

overall a typical experience working for suppression or wild land firefighter when we weren’t in town. I think the only down side was being paid, the amount of work load we had was insane and the amount of pay wasn’t enough for how much work we did out there.

Review

The compensation and benefits are fair but the work is stressful. Constantly understaffed. As a public servant you have to take a lot. The work environment could be a lot safer!

Nice people. Good place to start your career.

Good company. Nice benefit. Work life balance is good. Training wasn’t organized . They need more support for new employees. Overall it’s a good place to work.

Pros

Good benefit. Good work life balance.

Cons

Salary is just okay.

I enjoyed and felt very satisfied with my 20 plus year career with Government of Sask. I think public service is rewarding, although often underrated.

Rewarding experience, across a variety of sectors, always diverse and fast paced. I had the benefit of very good managers who ensured a culture that valued work life balance. Deadlines and demands were sometimes stressful, but I loved the people and the work. My teams were successful as we we were willing to innovate and take the time to build a strong rationale for the implementation of new ideas

Positive Atmosphere

Everyone was so supporting and very inviting. Staff was also very encouraging when they knew you doubted your self. Never worked in an office full of positive outgoing people.

Pros

very supportive

Cons

Parking, had to move car every two hours

OH&S - Officer experience

Inconsistent direction. Lacks strong leadership. For an organization riddled with committees, it didn't feel like much got accomplished. Lots of wasted time.Would I recommend to family or friend? - NoWork/Life balance - goodPay - reasonableHealth benefits - reasonableWorkplace culture - poor/reasonableTraining opportunities - poorAdvancement opportunities - poorHard work rewarded - poorOverall job satisfaction - poor

Pros

uniform was paid for

Cons

training was almost non-existent

Not recommended

Not a good work/life balance, was always on the road. Being a union job, the people who do less, get the promotion. Totally Backwards. Not a recommended job. Advancement has nothing to do with what you know. And more along the lines of who you know in the company!

Pros

good pay

Cons

can be long hours on the road

Decent gig

Me and my friend both worked the election last year and had a good time with it. You mostly get to hangout with your buddies and get paid for it. The work that you do is also really easy and stress free

Cons

One of the best places I’ve worked!

I loved it. I found that everyone in management handle incidents or other work related concerns through the proper channels. The benefits were great, and the opportunity for advancement was above and beyond what I expected.

Pros

37.5 hr work week

Cons

37.5 hr work week

Long recruitment process

Recruitment process dragged on with little communication (from posting deadline, to interview, to outcome of interview).On the positive, the interviewers were willing to allow us to go beyond the allotted time to cover the necessary discussions.

Productive and Engaging Workplace

I had great pleasure working with Government of Saskatchewan for my Internship. I worked with the Pipelines Group, and all the employees were engaging and helpful for me as long as I can remember.

Good equipment

SK Government is a very good employer. They provide good equipment. Have opportunity to expose on wide range of tasks of different functional area. As contractor, Job may not be secure - Since it is so dynamic.

Develop expertise in public policy and human services delivery

Working for the Government of Saskatchewan offers many opportunities for career growth and advancement, with excellent salary and employee benefits as well as several employee networks.

Best experience of my life

I started out doing maintenance and worked my way up to an operating engineer. I was mentor trained and going to work everyday was a breeze and enjoyable. They don’t pay the best but make up with it through benefits and time off.

Not just a job - but a family

Working for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, for over two and a half years, showed me what excellent leadership, inclusivity, a supportive environment, and work-family truly looks like! Overall, ,it would be truly amazing if all organizations mimicked SHC -- or at least tried to learn from their approach towards work culture.The salary was much lower than industry average, hence the reason for my resignation, however, being a government organization they are not allowed flexibility in that aspect. Saskatchewan Government employee health and dental benefits, on the other hand, are among the best I've ever seen.

Pros

Inclusivity, personal development, support, flexibility, understanding management

Cons

Low industry wages, insufficient training funds, underfunded resources

Staff is great, managment could use some work on their people skills

love the work, however management could use some work. likes to add unneeded stress to the staff, and huge turnover because of it. Likes to belittle people

Working in Gov't provides me with a feeling that I am helping others be successful as they move through education into the job market. The culture is very welcoming and collaborative, the leadership wants to see their staff grow, learn, and be successful and happy at work.

Great culture, work/life balance

Great culture, management very respectful and friendly. Allowed opportunities for growing experience. 9 day fortnight was great for work/life balance.

Reconsider

Government is not a secure or friendly place to work. They promote a one team approach but "one team" seems to be overshadowed by getting walked on so others can exploit you for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of Saskatchewan. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement