Government of Nunavut

Government of Nunavut Employee Reviews

A very unique opportunity to work with Inuit, First NationsA great learning environment,Public / Government Sector knowledgeCollaborative working teams
worked in Rankin, staff ok management ok. Double isolation because of covid. if you wanted to go on holidays to see family you have to self isolate on own dime for two weeks. makes it difficult. Winters are long days are extremely short. Very slow paced. wait around wait for trouble calls. Overall work is ok. just understand what getting yourself into. its a different world and covid makes it difficult to travel in and out with out avoiding 2 weeks quarantine. Hardly any overtime anymore another down fall. Money is not there like it use to be.
Pros
Money is ok. Cheap rent. local people friendly. experience local culture
Cons
Covid and travel restrictions, overtime cutbacks, long winters
Lots of lack of organization throughout departments. However great job security. Always hiring.. lots of overturning of staff which creates more disorganization. Its another world and not for everyone but it is great if you can have a good work and home life balance.
Pros
Compensation, security
Cons
Lack of organization, constant turn over
I learned so much and was treated with respect by everyone I worked for and with. Work/life balance is recognized and taken into consideration by management.
Pros
Great work environment, salary and benefits.
Cons
None.
I loved my job here, my role here was very key to the Dept of Health Great team work I have learned alot of how important it is to be in Department of health with saving lives
Busy and constantly on the go which was great. Phone calls to and from contractors, emails for head quarters and staff was a great bunch to work with.
It took them 3 months to process two paychecks, it's 4+ months now and I am still trying to get reimbursed for my Nunavut nursing licence ($1000). before I was hired there were red flags such as not responding to questions and emails going unanswered.
9 to 5 type of job. Very relaxed and slow pace environment. The lack of skilled employees and coworkers makes it a sometimes a frustrating environment.
Rich culture and therefore excellent learning environment. Thorough orientation program and accessible opportunities to grow professionally within the organization. Salary is competitive and job security is assuring. Management team is very supportive through preceptorship, mentorship and information sharing. The arctic climate of the communities can be harsh, and may therefore render a level of discomfort when trying to live and there for more than a few months at a time. This is one downside to working and living in Nunavut.
During my time at the goverment of iqaluit i was constantly working hard to impress my supervisors. There is alot of rewarding work. The office acts just like a family, it made me feel very welcome.
Rewarding job, amazing coworkers and great mentors; this job was a stepping stone that paved a way to my current job. Experience definitely one that I will never forget.
Not any support Nepotism Unrealistic expectations Too many on call nights Management unqualified Support and union non-existent Bullying Discrimination
The GN has a wide range of jobs. Nurse, finance clerk, teacher. you name it. So difficult to be specific. So instead here are a few tips. The pay is good, but not as good as it looks, the cost of living is very high, and airfare is thousands of dollars if you want to leave the territory. A good job is easier to get then decent housing, pay attention. There is a high rate of turnover. If you show up on time, and are generally competent, the rate of advancement is much faster then provincial governments
Good place to work, depending on the community and department you work in.
Pros
great pay
Cons
away from home
The Government of Nunavut provides a second to none employee benefits package and compensation. The work is fulfilling and provides great opportunity for growth.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Some units are too laid back.
The Government of Nunavut is recognized as an employer where people can make a difference and are given opportunities to put their skills to work. Overall the camaraderie amongst the workforce is very positive.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
remote northern setting
Rewarding to work with people from the Inuit culture. Employer provided opportunities to learn about the culture. Lots of satisfaction working autonomously.
Pros
Learning the dynamics of a different culture.
Cons
When I started employment as an Employee Relations Analyst, I was in the middle of completing the Human Resources Management Program at Algonquin College. I found this to be very helpful, as the two seemed to coincide a lot. I developed so many skills in this role. As the ER Analyst, I provided support to the ER Consultants within my division. Some of my typical job duties included: - drafting of disciplinary letters - researching jurisprudence - aiding in grievance resolution - drafting of executive summaries - sitting in on disciplinary meetings as the HR Representative I thoroughly enjoyed my position with the Government of Nunavut and am grateful for the opportunity to develop and strengthen my Human Resources skills.
Great opportunity to learn and push yourself, but I felt very poorly prepared for a very big position that had been being run by its employees without management for a long time.
I worked with clients from all 27 communities in Nunavut by dealing with deceased estate. I learnt how to deal with clients in proper matter. I learnt how to do legal accounting.
I would fly into different communities in Nunavut to conduct inspections, meetings, evaluations, and investigations. It was definitely a worthwhile experience. I got to experience Inuit culture first hand. It was amazing.
Pros
Cultural experience, good work experience and life experience.
Cons
Very Cold in the winter time.