Government of Nunavut

Government of Nunavut Employee Reviews

Canada48 reviews
Great workplace
I loved my job here, my role here was very key to the Dept of Health
Great team work

I have learned alot of how important it is to be in Department of health with saving lives
Great
Busy and constantly on the go which was great. Phone calls to and from contractors, emails for head quarters and staff was a great bunch to work with.
3 months until I got my paychecks
It took them 3 months to process two paychecks, it's 4+ months now and I am still trying to get reimbursed for my Nunavut nursing licence ($1000).

before I was hired there were red flags such as not responding to questions and emails going unanswered.
Very good salary
9 to 5 type of job. Very relaxed and slow pace environment. The lack of skilled employees and coworkers makes it a sometimes a frustrating environment.
Valuable work experience
Rich culture and therefore excellent learning environment. Thorough orientation program and accessible opportunities to grow professionally within the organization. Salary is competitive and job security is assuring. Management team is very supportive through preceptorship, mentorship and information sharing. The arctic climate of the communities can be harsh, and may therefore render a level of discomfort when trying to live and there for more than a few months at a time. This is one downside to working and living in Nunavut.
There is alot to do at all times.
During my time at the goverment of iqaluit i was constantly working hard to impress my supervisors. There is alot of rewarding work. The office acts just like a family, it made me feel very welcome.
Great place and people
The moving and settling in can be a bit problematic at times but it is well worth the transition and living conditions. Once the initial steps are completed , there are many opportunities to advance and professionally develop.
Amazing experience
Rewarding job, amazing coworkers and great mentors; this job was a stepping stone that paved a way to my current job. Experience definitely one that I will never forget.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Government of Nunavut?
Terribly run health centre

Support and union non-existent

Bullying

Discrimination
It's complicated
The GN has a wide range of jobs. Nurse, finance clerk, teacher. you name it. So difficult to be specific. So instead here are a few tips.

The pay is good, but not as good as it looks, the cost of living is very high, and airfare is thousands of dollars if you want to leave the territory.

A good job is easier to get then decent housing, pay attention.

There is a high rate of turnover. If you show up on time, and are generally competent, the rate of advancement is much faster then provincial governments
different based on the community, good pay
Good place to work, depending on the community and department you work in.
Pros
great pay
Cons
away from home
Amazing place to work. Best place I have worked at.
The Government of Nunavut provides a second to none employee benefits package and compensation. The work is fulfilling and provides great opportunity for growth.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Some units are too laid back.
Great Opportunities in the North
The Government of Nunavut is recognized as an employer where people can make a difference and are given opportunities to put their skills to work. Overall the camaraderie amongst the workforce is very positive.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
remote northern setting
Fun work place and excellent area to work at.
Rewarding to work with people from the Inuit culture. Employer provided opportunities to learn about the culture. Lots of satisfaction working autonomously.
Pros
Learning the dynamics of a different culture.
Cons
Great environment with opportunity to grow.
When I started employment as an Employee Relations Analyst, I was in the middle of completing the Human Resources Management Program at Algonquin College. I found this to be very helpful, as the two seemed to coincide a lot. I developed so many skills in this role. As the ER Analyst, I provided support to the ER Consultants within my division. Some of my typical job duties included:
- drafting of disciplinary letters

- researching jurisprudence

- aiding in grievance resolution

- drafting of executive summaries

- sitting in on disciplinary meetings as the HR Representative

I thoroughly enjoyed my position with the Government of Nunavut and am grateful for the opportunity to develop and strengthen my Human Resources skills.
Great learning opporuntity but Ill prepared
Great opportunity to learn and push yourself, but I felt very poorly prepared for a very big position that had been being run by its employees without management for a long time.
Productive work place
I worked with clients from all 27 communities in Nunavut by dealing with deceased estate. I learnt how to deal with clients in proper matter. I learnt how to do legal accounting.
Arctic Hamlets
I would fly into different communities in Nunavut to conduct inspections, meetings, evaluations, and investigations. It was definitely a worthwhile experience. I got to experience Inuit culture first hand. It was amazing.
Pros
Cultural experience, good work experience and life experience.
Cons
Very Cold in the winter time.
Wonderful place to work for
Good pay and good benefits. It is a wonderful place to work for, You have to be able to put up with the cold.
There are many communities, about 27 but Iqaluit is a very nice place to work for.

Currently, the north is growing rapidly and this is the time to join the great white north of Canada and share in the growth of the Inuit communities and leave a positive mark on the new generation. The Inuit are very friendly and welcoming people.
Pros
Friendly community.
Cons
Too cold
Excellent Work Place
Very beautiful place to work. Amazing staff and support system. Would definitely consider working there again
I had the opportunity to work with many nurses from all over Canada and enjoyed this immensely.

Working with Inuk patients was a true pleasure...in my position, I not only felt very appreciated by my patients but also by the whole family.

I enjoyed my time in Iqaluit and feel that it is a welcoming town and place of work
Pros
Friendly workplace, competitive salaries
Cons
Expensive to leave for vacation
Govt. of Nunavut
Community & Govt. Service department of Government of Nunavut provides basic facilities like Drinking Water, Waste Water Disposal, Roads, Bulk Fuel Storage, Building etc. to Aboriginal Peoples of Canada in Nunavut Territory. The CGS Professional Team has the expertise to work under extreme cold temp. (upto -55 degree Celsius) and in parma frost soil. CGS provides very good salaries and health benefits to its employees.
Pros
Daily free tea and coffees
Cons
Free Christmas Party
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of Nunavut. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4