GOVERNMENT OF NUNAVUT Employee Reviews

Really Bad
Health (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU13 March 2018
Health department has Really bad leadership, large waste of taxpayers money. Lots of turnover people leaving. Can't fill jobs and a terrible culture from the top
Pros
tax relief
Cons
the management is TERRIBLE
Typical day working in educational setting in nunavut
School Administrator/DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Nunavut15 January 2018
Each day began at 6:30AM. Usually I would do a facilities check to ensure all was ready for incoming staff. Email and phone calls were promptly tended to. When staff/students arrived they were greeted and issues discussed promptly to ensure the day began in a positive manner. During the day I would circulate throughout the building conducting bother formal and informal observations of staff and student engagement. After school hours, I would meet with individual staff members, lead small and large staff meetings and/or attend community. Departmental or Regional meetings or conference calls.
At times, travel was expected to represent the school, community, regional office or Dept.
All my years in Education provided me with an opportunity to develop as a leader, mentor and evaluator. I worked hard to establish a positive, caring climate within the organizations for which I worked.
The hardest part of my work to having to spread myself very thin. Time management was essential to ensure effective management was provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people. I am a people person first and foremost. I enjoyed bonding with the community members, staff, students and my employers while at the same time providing high but achievable expectations.
Pros
Development of effective management skills
Cons
Challenging environment of there Canadian Arctic
Fun days to learn the culture
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Igloolik, NU2 January 2018
work was pretty awesome and we were given paid days off to learn about the Inuit culture. Co-workers were very willing to engage with you and make you feel welcome
Not good
Manager, Quasi Judicial Boards (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU10 September 2017
Overly bureaucratic, no clear direction, lots of useless fat. Uninformed, inexperienced management. Decent salary, no extensive experience required to start. Benefits and work life balance is adequate, but stressful and inefficient workplace culture.
Ok.
Social Services Statistics, Manager Finance (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit and Cambridge Bay9 August 2017
Expensive place to live. Gov't subsidized housing necessary. Good experience with Inuit staff but above manager positions seem to be politically motivated.
Pros
Interesting work.
Cons
Frustrating never cracked manager barrier despite advanced skills.
Poor management
Consumer Affairs Officer (Former Employee) –  Baker Lake, NU25 February 2017
Dealing with inuit on a daily basis, some unilingual individuals and questions from all over Canada like "do you have trees up north? Are there restaurants?"
Pros
Excellant salaries
Cons
Isolation
Great Organization
Sr. Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU15 April 2016
Great Organization
Good work place
Nice and knowledgeable managers and CEO's
Good staff
It was a pleasure to work there and learn about Caultor and life in North
nursing in the north
Casual - Community Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Bay, NU31 January 2016
Working in Nunavut, you work long hours and never know what was coming through the door. It is a challenge for any nurse, and as a new graduate the challenges were endless and something WAY beyond my scope of practice. But I am from Nunavut and loved being able to help the people of my community. This also possessed another challenge as I began to learn way more then I ever would care to know about my neighbours, friends and people I have known my entire life.
Job security, cross cultural opportunity
Registered Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baker Lake, NU15 December 2015
Cross cultural opportunity and opportunity for career improvement. Opportunity to travel around and learn other people's culture. Good wages.
One of the best jobs I could find
MANAGER - Airport Facilities, Nunavut Airport (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NU4 November 2015
The only shortfall of this job is location. Nunavut comunities are isloated, remote and cold. Other than that, this job was very rewarding and provided lots of positive experiences. the work environment is great, salary is very comptitve and there are opportunities to learn and grow.
good benefits
Income Support Assistant-Casual (Current Employee) –  coral harbour16 October 2015
GN is a great place to work for up north, the largest employer in Nunavut.

I've learned how to enjoy working with clients in many ways also thankful for upper management.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
angry clients
The Hunger Games
Healthcare (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NU1 June 2015
Good pay, beautiful culture, people and land. Very welcoming

Terrible work life
Not a good place to gain life experience, work experience, or learn team building skills
Very negative and toxic environment
Very great
Child and Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Nunavut17 April 2015
Amazing learning experience and a real opportunity to build your skills. I had a great time and learned lots. I would highly recommend this job to anyone wanting an adventure and to test their social work skills and develop more.
Respect
Inpatient Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, Nunavut17 March 2015
Loved working with the population and my peers. Management could have been more informed for the standards of RNs and LPNs.
Pros
great money and people
Cons
only a contract
learn to adapt daily to different moods of institutions
Acting Correctional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU20 August 2014
A typical day at work involves assessing the mood of the institution and being prepared to respond in an effiective manner as each day comes with unique situations. I hold three separate job titles at my current place of employment and have learned how to communicate with staff, management, and upset offenders in the least disruptive alternative possible.

I have learnt how to assess remanded offenders entering the institution to ensure they are not at risk of comitting suicide or harming themselves via the "ORAMS" interview. I have learnt how to build a proper rapport with offenders in order for them to entrust me with key information on whats happening throughout the institution and to follow orders when given.

The hardest part of my job is the intense stress level from day to day. Being prepared for when volatile situations can and will take place.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
extremely high stress with
Highest pay ever
Senior Database Consultant/ Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit24 July 2014
Pay is very good, but the city is in very remote area and isolated and dark in the winter as it is close to Arctic.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Isolated and cold in winter
Quick Summary
Informatics Technician (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU20 April 2014
A new Government with a mandate from the people. This Government is focused on improving services to the people and increasing Inuit presence in the workplace.
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
isolated locations
Community Corrections/Probation Officer
Community Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kugluktuk, NU9 December 2013
As a Community Correctional officer I was responsible for the Woman and Young offenders of the community that I resided in.
Working for the Government.
Project's Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Bay, NU3 December 2013
Working with the Government was not a bad thing, it was actually nice because I got to see what it's like to work with others and very professional people. Great five months I had there.
Pros
Holiday lunches together.
Cons
No cons I can think of.
An opportunity to build something from the ground up
Human Resource Advisor & Consultant (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU14 September 2013
A wonderful opportunity to work in an environment like nothing else. A chance to make changes that have a direct and wide-spread impact. A new government with many opportunities for input.

The work is challenging and different everyday. Working directly with the Executive Management branch of the government has been a wonderful opportunity to provide advice and guidance to the leader of the Public Service and other Deputy Heads within the government. It has been a very rewarding career opportunity and I have loved every minute of it.

The corporate environment is supportive, open and welcoming and the team spirit is very strong.

The biggest challenge of the position does not come from the leadership but from the non-management employees who have been there the longest and do not welcome change. Performance Management with these people has been very difficult but with the implementation of mandatory guidelines and support from the Deputy Head there has been success.
Pros
Ability to work directly with the Deputy Heads of the government, small office, no commute, good salary, remote living allowance, terrific medical and dental benefits, generous vacation allowance
Cons
Extreme cold living environment, long winters, difficulty of travel to other locations