Government of Nunavut Employee Reviews

Fun work place and excellent area to work at.
Mental Helath Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nunavut25 January 2019
Rewarding to work with people from the Inuit culture. Employer provided opportunities to learn about the culture. Lots of satisfaction working autonomously.
Pros
Learning the dynamics of a different culture.
Cons
Great environment with opportunity to grow.
Employee Relations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU28 October 2018
When I started employment as an Employee Relations Analyst, I was in the middle of completing the Human Resources Management Program at Algonquin College. I found this to be very helpful, as the two seemed to coincide a lot. I developed so many skills in this role. As the ER Analyst, I provided support to the ER Consultants within my division. Some of my typical job duties included:
- drafting of disciplinary letters
- researching jurisprudence
- aiding in grievance resolution
- drafting of executive summaries
- sitting in on disciplinary meetings as the HR Representative

I thoroughly enjoyed my position with the Government of Nunavut and am grateful for the opportunity to develop and strengthen my Human Resources skills.
Great learning opporuntity but Ill prepared
Supervisor of Home and Community Health Care (Former Employee) –  Kivalliq Region12 October 2018
Great opportunity to learn and push yourself, but I felt very poorly prepared for a very big position that had been being run by its employees without management for a long time.
Productive work place
Senior Public Trustee Officer (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU28 August 2018
I worked with clients from all 27 communities in Nunavut by dealing with deceased estate. I learnt how to deal with clients in proper matter. I learnt how to do legal accounting.
Arctic Hamlets
Regional Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Pangnirtung, NU24 August 2018
I would fly into different communities in Nunavut to conduct inspections, meetings, evaluations, and investigations. It was definitely a worthwhile experience. I got to experience Inuit culture first hand. It was amazing.
Pros
Cultural experience, good work experience and life experience.
Cons
Very Cold in the winter time.
Wonderful place to work for
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU8 July 2018
Good pay and good benefits. It is a wonderful place to work for, You have to be able to put up with the cold.
There are many communities, about 27 but Iqaluit is a very nice place to work for.

Currently, the north is growing rapidly and this is the time to join the great white north of Canada and share in the growth of the Inuit communities and leave a positive mark on the new generation. The Inuit are very friendly and welcoming people.
Pros
Friendly community.
Cons
Too cold
Excellent Work Place
Registered Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU7 May 2018
Very beautiful place to work. Amazing staff and support system. Would definitely consider working there again
I had the opportunity to work with many nurses from all over Canada and enjoyed this immensely.
Working with Inuk patients was a true pleasure...in my position, I not only felt very appreciated by my patients but also by the whole family.
I enjoyed my time in Iqaluit and feel that it is a welcoming town and place of work
Pros
Friendly workplace, competitive salaries
Cons
Expensive to leave for vacation
Govt. of Nunavut
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NU6 April 2018
Community & Govt. Service department of Government of Nunavut provides basic facilities like Drinking Water, Waste Water Disposal, Roads, Bulk Fuel Storage, Building etc. to Aboriginal Peoples of Canada in Nunavut Territory. The CGS Professional Team has the expertise to work under extreme cold temp. (upto -55 degree Celsius) and in parma frost soil. CGS provides very good salaries and health benefits to its employees.
Pros
Daily free tea and coffees
Cons
Free Christmas Party
bad managment
Director (Former Employee) –  Nunavut16 March 2018
Good money but it will be used up in rent and food and airplane tickets to get back down south. So it ends up being the same or worse than working in southern Canada. Really bad management in the department of health and wasteful of money - millions.
Pros
job security
Cons
everything else
Really Bad
Health (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU13 March 2018
Health department has Really bad leadership, large waste of taxpayers money. Lots of turnover people leaving. Can't fill jobs and a terrible culture from the top
Pros
tax relief
Cons
the management is TERRIBLE
Typical day working in educational setting in nunavut
School Administrator/DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Nunavut15 January 2018
Each day began at 6:30AM. Usually I would do a facilities check to ensure all was ready for incoming staff. Email and phone calls were promptly tended to. When staff/students arrived they were greeted and issues discussed promptly to ensure the day began in a positive manner. During the day I would circulate throughout the building conducting bother formal and informal observations of staff and student engagement. After school hours, I would meet with individual staff members, lead small and large staff meetings and/or attend community. Departmental or Regional meetings or conference calls.
At times, travel was expected to represent the school, community, regional office or Dept.
All my years in Education provided me with an opportunity to develop as a leader, mentor and evaluator. I worked hard to establish a positive, caring climate within the organizations for which I worked.
The hardest part of my work to having to spread myself very thin. Time management was essential to ensure effective management was provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people. I am a people person first and foremost. I enjoyed bonding with the community members, staff, students and my employers while at the same time providing high but achievable expectations.
Pros
Development of effective management skills
Cons
Challenging environment of there Canadian Arctic
Great job.
Environmental Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU3 January 2018
I loved the job, it had a great balance of working in the office and working out on the field. The management was decent as well. The hardest part of the job was letting responsible parties know that they have to do the clean up, as well as letting them know what the costs might be.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Fun days to learn the culture
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Igloolik, NU2 January 2018
work was pretty awesome and we were given paid days off to learn about the Inuit culture. Co-workers were very willing to engage with you and make you feel welcome
Nurse in nunavut
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nunavut20 December 2017
payscale was top but expenses are same too. Extream weather make you feel tired of life, you need strong mental health, You should be people person, no phones,internet are limited, tv services are limited, people are rude. The best is the norther life experience, animals, cultural experience , wild meat and fish. Good start for career but be cautious to do not make mistakes. You may lose Nursing license with small incidence and you dont get any support from top management.
Pros
Good pay, Remote experience, cultural experience
Cons
Isolated, stress full work enviornment, extream weather related issues, No work life balance, poor administration, difficult to deal with people behaviour, some times donot get paid for the job you do.
Not good
Manager, Quasi Judicial Boards (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU10 September 2017
Overly bureaucratic, no clear direction, lots of useless fat. Uninformed, inexperienced management. Decent salary, no extensive experience required to start. Benefits and work life balance is adequate, but stressful and inefficient workplace culture.
Ok.
Social Services Statistics, Manager Finance (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit and Cambridge Bay9 August 2017
Expensive place to live. Gov't subsidized housing necessary. Good experience with Inuit staff but above manager positions seem to be politically motivated.
Pros
Interesting work.
Cons
Frustrating never cracked manager barrier despite advanced skills.
I would like to work in public sector
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU10 July 2017
My day at work was in front of the computer most of the day and interact with other employees and clients, public. The management is excellent and fair. The workplace is comfortable, fair and equal for all employees. The hardest part of the job was to leave the work because of my condition with my health and that has changed for the better and now I am seeking employment in other areas where I can enjoy using my skills and experience. The most enjoyable job was I had gained skills and experiences that I am able to use today, discipline, respect, planning.
Pros
Pay was good
Busy office environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU25 February 2017
Dealing with people from across the Nunavut Territory, mostly with the inuit peoples of Nunavut. Sometimes working with new management for the Municipal Training Organization
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Angry clients
Poor management
Consumer Affairs Officer (Former Employee) –  Baker Lake, NU25 February 2017
Dealing with inuit on a daily basis, some unilingual individuals and questions from all over Canada like "do you have trees up north? Are there restaurants?"
Pros
Excellant salaries
Cons
Isolation
Great Organization
Sr. Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU15 April 2016
Great Organization
Good work place
Nice and knowledgeable managers and CEO's
Good staff
It was a pleasure to work there and learn about Caultor and life in North