Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador: 71 Employee Reviews

Canada71 reviews

opportunitylongexperiencetimelearnedenvironmentgoodhour

Relaxed environment with great benefits

Very slow paced and not many challenges. The main benefit of working with them is the competitive benefits, PTO, holidays and flexible working hours. Just not for me.

Not a good workplace

Took a long time to get any answers on how long the job was good for. Waited 6 weeks for a pay check twice, when I asked about the problem with pay they told me that’s normal for new hires. Management had a very poor attitude. They also tried to over work operators in the winter if they worked all night were expected to work a few hours in the morning.

Pros

Government holidays

Cons

Long hours, job uncertainty, low pay

Insights into Government of Newfoundland and Labrador

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things

No Logic

This employer has zero logic when it comes to staffing, training, decisions made etc. I feel most managers have been in the role so long that they are never open to suggestions and are set in their ways with zero room for negotiation. You are not treated as a human but rather a number. They do not care for you but expect you to bend over backwards ten ways till Sunday to please them. Meanwhile they do absolutely nothing for you. Pay scales haven't increased in decades. Many senior employees are grandfathered in to higher pay scales for the same work. They like to also play the blame game. Rather than acknowledge a mistake was made and offer some training they MUST find out who made the mistake and shame them for such a mistake. Perfection is mandatory. They watch employees come and go and state "it's not for everyone". That is not the issue the issue is usually always management. Working for the Government isn't what it used to be.

Pros

A pay cheque

Cons

Working there

It’s alright

It’s alright to work for them. Pay isn’t great. Wish it got paid more for the job. With good education they still pay you with a scale so feels like I am being underpaid. Wish it was better

Ok work

Was an ok place to work. It’s unionized so people that work hard are on the same level of someone who slacks off. Can definitely be frustrating sometimes.

Good workplace bad money

Job was good the people where awsome to work with . The schedule was great. Benefits where ok . They don’t supply coveralls or work boots and the little allowance they offer won’t cover costs . Tool allowance is very minimal also won’t cover costs . And the pay is way to low hard to have a living

Pros

Time off

Cons

Can’t afford to do anything on days off

Better than no job

Bunch of lazy *****...lacks leadership and strong work ethic. Province would be better off having all work contracted out in my opinion...............

Good Job. Good Employer. Good Policies in place

Positive experience. The pay wasn't great but the job was rewarding and interesting. The employer is considerate of their workers and there is a generally good working atmosphere.

Problem management

Inexperienced management with no direction in achieving job mandates. No support from management for employees. Only worried about their jobs. Needs experienced team players needexperienced e

Pros

Helping resources

Cons

Inexperienced management

I experience excellent relationship between all workers and management.

I receive lots of opportunities to improve and get additional training during my career experience. I had a good experience throughout my whole career.

Motivational work environment

Working for the Government of Newfoundland combined hard work and an inviting work space, which allowed me to do my job to the best of my ability as well as motivated me to improve my own personal skills for work!

Terrible palce to work

Difficult to grow professionally. Compartmentalizing environment. Poor communication, no in house training provided. Difficult to get information required to perform your job functions.

Can be fun and rewarding

I enjoy working with and for people so working as a front line public servant is satisfying. It is professional, fast paced and high volume. Ave. Pay.

good workplace

Good people who help you succeed at the job, Many possible positions to be filled, the work environment is usually outside in the field, plenty of fresh air.

Productive and interesting workplace

The job was very interesting and provided me with great experiences. Working at Mistaken Point gave me a chance to deal with people from all walks of life while also learning more about my area.

Good Job

Working at the Provincial Goverment mailroom was a thoroughly positive experience. Not overly strenuous, good pay. Only flaw is the unionized nature of the workplace, very easy to get bumped from a job.

Pros

Fairly Easy, Good Pay, Comfortable Environment

Cons

Slight Lack of Job Security

Great Management and great pay

While working with the government of newfoundland, I had a great experience. My manager not only showed me new things but she was also very supportive. I would gladly work there again. In the run of an average day, the hours were fantastic, environment was comfortable. The only complaint was that was that it was very far to get to and from. The team I worked with were amazing.

Pros

great pay, very supportive environment, lots to learn.

Cons

only temporary. other than that it was a fantastic job!

Interesting, wonderful career

Flexible work hours with shift work and Monday to Friday schedules. Interesting learning opportunities with a second language and multi-disciplinary team members. Wonderful staff and students including other school teams in the same building. Friendly cooperative work environment with state of the art building designed for maximum benefit to the students and staff.

Pros

Dietitian on satff

Cons

Now closed

Great place to work as a health professional. The office was small and quiet with a great working atmosphere.

Approximately 50-50 with field and office work. Sometimes long distances to travel for field inspections and sometimes have to accommodate travelling on short notice.

Pros

Paid travel and accommodations when required.

Cons

Use personal vehicle for work and quickly accumulate kms.

Good Job

People are nice and respectful of others. A good place to work. Stable, secure and reasonable pay. At times it became repetitive and boring. The work is not exactly fun so make sure you're being located with people you like.

very heavy workload

There was not enough time for client interaction do to the heavy call and case load. I am a more hands on social worker and I did not enjoy the call center feel of the position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement