Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Employee Reviews

Great Management and great pay
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 May 2019
While working with the government of newfoundland, I had a great experience. My manager not only showed me new things but she was also very supportive. I would gladly work there again. In the run of an average day, the hours were fantastic, environment was comfortable. The only complaint was that was that it was very far to get to and from.

The team I worked with were amazing.
Pros
great pay, very supportive environment, lots to learn.
Cons
only temporary. other than that it was a fantastic job!
Great place to work as a health professional. The office was small and quiet with a great working atmosphere.
Environmental Health Officer (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NL31 October 2018
Approximately 50-50 with field and office work. Sometimes long distances to travel for field inspections and sometimes have to accommodate travelling on short notice.
Pros
Paid travel and accommodations when required.
Cons
Use personal vehicle for work and quickly accumulate kms.
Good Job
Engineering Co-op Student(Former Employee) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 June 2018
People are nice and respectful of others. A good place to work. Stable, secure and reasonable pay. At times it became repetitive and boring. The work is not exactly fun so make sure you're being located with people you like.
Summer Student Employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 March 2018
Great working as a administrative assistant for a couple summers. Very easy to get along with staff and they are very appreciative of all the things you do for them.
productive and great leaning envirnment
Engineer Technologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2018
My summer spent at Transportation and Works was a work term experience. I was not only given the opportunity to work in the lab but I was also given a good taste of what happens in the filed.
Ok place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Burin, NL1 February 2018
Management is good where I work, the hardest part is not being challenged by the position. The most enjoyable part is the freedom we experience on a daily basis.
Review
Inspection Supervisor - Eng Tech II (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL16 December 2017
Overall the staff are friendly, no room for advancement and no job security because working for the government and they're broke.

Good place too work for short period of time too understand how the government operates so that you can take your experience into the private sector.
Pros
Ability to learn new things
Cons
Pay is not enough to live on
Work days are very busy and time management is critical.
Social Worker 1, Department of CSSD (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 August 2017
The department of CSSD is a great place to develop a broad range of social work skills. It is also a place to familiarize yourself and other services that are available in the community.
Pros
You can make a positive impact on some of the most marginalized people in the province.
Cons
The work is never done
Enjoyed the work, my office and supervisors
Storekeeper II (Former Employee) –  Clarenville, NL22 June 2017
Started as a Stockhandler, Physically receiving and checking goods/restocking shelves/filling orders for garage and units. Physically demanding and not enough help. Good relationship with fellow employees

Advanced to Storekeeper I, Did internal ordering of goods for unit garages and stock rooms using Oracle Inventory system/filling orders electronically for main garage/occasionally pick parts for mechanics.

Advanced to Storekeeper II. Estimate stock needs and order same/receipt goods into system/complete surveys for Government Purchasing/matched invoices and packing slips with Purchase Orders and certified for payment/maintained expediting procedure to ensure timely receipt of goods on order/run various reports/Problem solving as needed/act as supervisor for stockroom. Very fast pace. No immediate Supervisor for stockroom meant I was the "goto person" and required much problem solving for stockroom employees, invoice department and outside companies as well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with employees less than eager to work. The most enjoyable thing was the construction of my new office. Since a new office had to be constructed, it was built to my own specifications and even though it was an office within the stockroom it still provided a quite and clean atmosphere. I also appreciated the relationships built with my supervisors over a period of time.
Pros
Good relationship with supervisors, give and take situation
Cons
Not enough help
Highways Maintenance Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, NL13 June 2017
Learned a lot about equipment and equipment operation while working there. Decent management, excellent supervisor. Supervisor was well organized. Some good fellow workers, and some not so good, workplace culture was overall good. Not much of a life during the winter season. Most enjoyable part of the job was when I could do something good for the public.
Great Place to work
Youth Corrections/Youth Servces Worker (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NL24 April 2017
Organized branch of government
very professional
good atmosphere
supportive staff
trained well
kept informed
stress importance of self care
safe environment
Good pay Bad Bureaucracy
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador13 April 2017
Many good co workers with and good pay. And some good training was provided.

Management and the union to slow to make any decision, even time sensitive issues. Common for management to pass the buck and play games than make a decision.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
The people are good, but work environment is poor
Director (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 April 2017
Ongoing cutbacks have increased pressure on remaining statf, as the overall demands to provide a quality service have not declined. Staff continue to do their best, but the resources and supports are just not there

These is significant instability in employment at this time, with little potential for increases in compensation, and limited opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Increasing demand for service with limited resoures
Tedious
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 April 2017
Could of been where I was a Summer Student, but I felt the entire summer kind of dragged on due to the amount of work I did that was similar to one another
Ocio
Office of the Chief Information Officer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 March 2017
General Computer Support Duties and Responsibilities included Desktop troubleshooting, VPN Connectivity issues. Minor Active Directory work. Also responsible for Time and Service Request Management
Overall A Good Place To Work
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador7 March 2017
PROS - Overall this is a good place to work
Decent hours

CONS - Pay is low
Put in positions that have nothing to do with work experience or education
I loved my job and the people i worked with.
Social Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 February 2017
Although i was not required to be to work before 8:30 i was usually there befor 8 am, i rarely left the office before 5 pm. The extra time allowed me to catch up after a busy day. Most management supervisors were very supportive. My co-workers were the absolute best. We worked closely as a team and were always there for each other, a must when you work in a difficult and stressful environment. The hardest part of my job was removing children from their parents, even though i knew that it was necessary to ensure their safety and well being. The most rewarding part of my job was when a 6 year old looked and me and said "I only trust you because you always tell me the truth". Over the past 12 years as a front line social worker i have learned to "think outside the box" and "trust my instincts".
Pros
Doing team activities outside office hours.
Cons
The long hours, trying to keep documentation current.
Poor management or a total lack of!
Peeon (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 June 2016
Worked there for a number of years had to quit it was killing me. The most backward screwed up place to work, or as I called it, doing time!
Pros
Weekends and holidays
Cons
Monday thru Friday
Loved working here !
Registrations (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE9 June 2016
Loved working here but it was for a term as it was to construct the Confederation Bridge in Borden, Prince Edward Island. I would have loved to continue working for them but they weren't here permanently.
I enjoy what I do
Information Management Technician II (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 April 2016
The Department of Advanced Education and Skills gave me an opportunity to learn new techniques and an ability to voice my opinions on processes and best practices
Pros
Working
Cons
Job security