Government of Newfoundland and Labrador

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Employee Reviews

Canada67 reviews
Positive experience. The pay wasn't great but the job was rewarding and interesting. The employer is considerate of their workers and there is a generally good working atmosphere.
Bunch of lazy *****...lacks leadership and strong work ethic. Province would be better off having all work contracted out in my opinion...............
Inexperienced management with no direction in achieving job mandates. No support from management for employees. Only worried about their jobs. Needs experienced team players needexperienced e
Pros
Helping resources
Cons
Inexperienced management
I receive lots of opportunities to improve and get additional training during my career experience. I had a good experience throughout my whole career.
Working for the Government of Newfoundland combined hard work and an inviting work space, which allowed me to do my job to the best of my ability as well as motivated me to improve my own personal skills for work!
Difficult to grow professionally. Compartmentalizing environment. Poor communication, no in house training provided. Difficult to get information required to perform your job functions.
I enjoy working with and for people so working as a front line public servant is satisfying. It is professional, fast paced and high volume. Ave. Pay.
Good people who help you succeed at the job, Many possible positions to be filled, the work environment is usually outside in the field, plenty of fresh air.
The job was very interesting and provided me with great experiences. Working at Mistaken Point gave me a chance to deal with people from all walks of life while also learning more about my area.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Government of Newfoundland and Labrador?
I worked with SNL years ago as I boiler inspector and it was a decent job with a great learning curve and lots of exposure to industry. I left and worked private industry for 6 years and when things dried up I returned to my old job to find out it was 20x worse now.. I was offered a market adjustment of $4.95 hr extra-on my offer letter. I received it for a short time and was then removed. The hr department indicated they made admin error on my letter and the market adjustment cannot be paid hourly rather by a cheque at the end of the year ( non pensionable , non overtime , non travel time). In order to get the cheque you have to sign a contract and if you leave you have to pay it all back. None of this info provided prior to hire!! After learning this I went to the union with little luck and a gave up fighting as the atmosphere in the office was terrible and everyone is over worked and unhappy. There is supposed to be 4 inspectors on the Avalon and there was only 1 when I came. They are 3000 inspections overdue and the public contractors and owners struggle to get inspections what the manpower shortage. The department needs a serious overhaul. I left my position due to the money issue and poor, unorganized stressful environment. Anyone applying be weary of the offer and environment.
Pros
Hours / holidays
Cons
Money poor/ misleading hr/ understaffed / poor morale
Working at the Provincial Goverment mailroom was a thoroughly positive experience. Not overly strenuous, good pay. Only flaw is the unionized nature of the workplace, very easy to get bumped from a job.
Pros
Fairly Easy, Good Pay, Comfortable Environment
Cons
Slight Lack of Job Security
While working with the government of newfoundland, I had a great experience. My manager not only showed me new things but she was also very supportive. I would gladly work there again. In the run of an average day, the hours were fantastic, environment was comfortable. The only complaint was that was that it was very far to get to and from.

The team I worked with were amazing.
Pros
great pay, very supportive environment, lots to learn.
Cons
only temporary. other than that it was a fantastic job!
Flexible work hours with shift work and Monday to Friday schedules.
Interesting learning opportunities with a second language and multi-disciplinary team members.

Wonderful staff and students including other school teams in the same building.

Friendly cooperative work environment with state of the art building designed for maximum benefit to the students and staff.
Pros
Dietitian on satff
Cons
Now closed
Approximately 50-50 with field and office work. Sometimes long distances to travel for field inspections and sometimes have to accommodate travelling on short notice.
Pros
Paid travel and accommodations when required.
Cons
Use personal vehicle for work and quickly accumulate kms.
People are nice and respectful of others. A good place to work. Stable, secure and reasonable pay. At times it became repetitive and boring. The work is not exactly fun so make sure you're being located with people you like.
There was not enough time for client interaction do to the heavy call and case load. I am a more hands on social worker and I did not enjoy the call center feel of the position
Great working as a administrative assistant for a couple summers. Very easy to get along with staff and they are very appreciative of all the things you do for them.
My summer spent at Transportation and Works was a work term experience. I was not only given the opportunity to work in the lab but I was also given a good taste of what happens in the filed.
Management is good where I work, the hardest part is not being challenged by the position. The most enjoyable part is the freedom we experience on a daily basis.
Overall the staff are friendly, no room for advancement and no job security because working for the government and they're broke.

Good place too work for short period of time too understand how the government operates so that you can take your experience into the private sector.
Pros
Ability to learn new things
Cons
Pay is not enough to live on
Relaxed atmosphere depending on where you work. Pay not as competetive as other provinces. Can be cold and isolated. Lack of training..
Opportunity to travel province wide.
Pros
Relaxed env
Cons
Lack of advancement