Government of Canada Employee Reviews

Very Friendly and Productive
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2018
Working in the federal government is undoubtedly a memorable and learning experience. A typical day includes having your Tim Horton coffee and having a few short meetings on a daily basis..
Excellent job for a student looking for work experience and a place to learn!
Project Assistant - Innovation and Technology (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2018
As a student in a business program it is ideal to have a job in a working business to expand your expertise, and this job was great for that.I've learned so much about the basic operations of a business at a fairly stress free level with a great pension and many benefits!
Very friendly environment, work just was not for me
Support Service Agent for Immigration, Refugees (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2018
In this job, I processed applications for permanent residency in Canada. The work was very repetitive and I was overall unhappy in the workplace due to the shift and the type of work.
Pros
shift incentive
Cons
very repetitive and boring
Great place to learn and attain work life balance.
Capital Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2018
Working with First Nation communities has been a joy for me. I truly enjoy helping to develop capacity in various areas, including strategic planning, project management, governance, etc. The communities are wonderful to work with as they make the job worth while.
Pros
Community communication
Cons
Never enough resources to support all the communities.
Opportunities vary by type of Government in office
Manager Community Services (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NS7 April 2018
Opportunities to learn and be effective vary as to the department and type of government. I was able to lead a number of new and innovative processes and changes to policy.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
slow and bueracratic
Great expereince
Senior Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2018
Amazing work experience. A lot of great people who are very smart and knowledgeable in their respective filed. Would highly recommend this employer. GoC is great.
Excellent
Support Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS16 March 2018
Great team of people and supervisors. Very pleased and enjoyed my work .I wish the job was a little more than casual , however I was very happy to have the opportunity to work at this location.
Pros
The People
A place filled with Comradery
Communications Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 March 2018
Day to day work at the unit I was apart of left us with a good amount of free time, the work was hard however the survival and problem solving skills we learned are things I will take with me for the rest of my life.
Pros
Free Lunches
Interesting, though at times challenging
Policy Analyst - Contract (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 February 2018
The most challenging part of this job was a lack of training. Often my manager was absent, and there were few experienced staff to whom I could turn for guidance on my tasks. The tasks were often vague and demanded training in order to complete them well.

Some of my work tasks were interesting, focused on matters that related to youth and indigenous entrepreneurs. Others were mundane, though I expected as much from the job.

My colleagues made for a good work culture. Generally they were all interesting, and friendly people.
Pros
Good pay, good hours
Cons
Lack of training, lack of mentorship, often vague and superficial work tasks
Free of all parpas.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Canada26 February 2018
I wanted it because this job country collection is very better presented. I like and live there. Almost l reached their ready to this. I prefer presumed to be in features.
Pros
Totally agree.
Cons
Full long time working.
Pay system is a disaster.
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2018
Mostly due to the awful pay system, after 7 years I resigned and moved on with my life. The pay system is horrible. I have years worth of on going pay issues. I went off on sick leave after developing issues with my spine. The failed pay system is a horrible experience that no person should have to go through while on sick leave, or any employee for that matter. After resigning, more then a year and half later everything is still totally screwed up. I recommend not working for the Government of Canada until the pay issues are are resolved.
Pros
Pros are over shadowed by the horrible pay system.
Cons
Nightmare pay system.
End to End
Implementation Consultant / Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
I start my day with checking all the problem needing to be solve for the day and then organize myself between project work and troubleshooting certain thing other teams. My time is always managed well and if there is something important to do it will be done first and so on.
Busy and strict
Canadian Armed Forces (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON16 January 2018
I enjoy working in the forces i have for 6 years. Ive been part time for those years and i have nithing to complain about. Im a fast oaced and hard working human and loved what they have to offer and still do.
Secure employment with large employer. Good benefits and a pension.
CRA- Trust Examiner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2018
Career with the Federal Government provided security and income to myself and my family. I had several different opportunities within the Government over the years. In the last 12 years, I worked outside the office, as a field agent, contacting employers to resolve issues with their payroll. This involved handling my own workload, prioritizing my work and executing the meetings to obtain the required information. Deadlines had to be met along with quality control on my work. Travel was required all over central and northern Alberta. Independent decisions and common sense in handling sensitive issues was a necessity. Integrity and professionalism were important, due to my employer and to maintain a good rappore with the public.
Pros
Independent workload management, travel, working with businesses
Cons
Political influence on how job was done. Poor management and ongoing changes to the work.
A very valuable and rewarding experience
Special Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC3 January 2018
Management and supervisor were encouraging and supportive although the specific office environment I was part of was slowly deteriorating/falling apart with members constantly leaving and hiring for replacements being delayed a great deal, impacting quality of work produced and placing a higher burden on remaining employees to complete tasks with assigned deadlines. Supervisors were exempt from participating in the more menial and mundane tasks and were given special treatment compared to the contractors and casual employees.
Pros
Working within a large and supportive team with many teammates ready to assist when needed
Cons
Good work was not praised; too much focus on errors and mistakes made
All on line which was great
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON18 December 2017
Really enjoyed working the 2016 Census. It was fun, and kept me motivated with lots to do. Meet different people from all walks of life. I was always busy which made for good busy days
Pros
paid for kms
Excellent
Informatics Technician/Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 December 2017
I Learned so many different things great staff and worked with 4 full time Desktop technician. They always helped me and boost me to learn new things.
Stable, good benefits
PROJECT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2017
8-4 government job. Day to day activities don't vary too much and the team I work with is great. Overall review of government work... secure.
Management support ones desire to advance if the opportunity exists.
Workplace culture is generally fun. Not all business all the time. People really understand work/life balance and respect each other.

Team social activities promote team building and make work more pleasant and not so dull.
Benefits
Cons
Redundancy of work, little variety
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2017
This employer is reliable, in that when you have obtained a position with them, you can be sure that you are in a secure form of employment that offers the opportunity for advancement.
awesome place to work
fire tower observer (Former Employee) –  Beauval, SK20 October 2017
Working for government was a nice place to work with benefits and all the safety aspects of the job salary was worth the work u put in and also had great people to work for.
Pros
good management and co workers..safe environment