Government of Canada Employee Reviews

Phoenix pay system brings overall rating down.
Contract Inspector (Current Employee) –  Alberta15 July 2018
The Phoenix pay system is slow and prone to drastic errors. That is a significant factor when rating an otherwise fulfilling career path. Department of National Defense is interesting and rewarding in many ways.
Pros
Job security; interesting
Cons
Pay system!
Orderly, Federal Government Temporary Job
Statistics Collector Call-Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2018
It was unique to take part in the call center for the Canada Census which helped me to understand why so many questions are necessary for our governments to plan budgets, where schools and parks should be built, and more.
Pros
Regular Hours
Cons
Temporary Posiition
Fulfilling helping others
Citizen Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 July 2018
Helping others in need. Very demanding and fast pace environment. Very difficult for career development and advancement. Learn about laws and regulations for services to the public.
Pros
good benefits and competitive salary
Cons
no flexibility
Friendly people with a smile on their face
Intern - Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC29 June 2018
Nice work environment, friendly and very cooperative people. The lunches are fun and there's a big food court downstairs and you can enjoy your meal with colleagues. Management is bit poor, they do not manage the staff properly
Pros
Positive Environment
Cons
Lack of tasks
good place to work
Carpentry Assistant/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL18 June 2018
• Processed payments using Client Automated Payment System
• Verified authorizations and amalgamated with appropriate invoices
• Produced daily financial reports using the Financial Management System
• Maintained vendor file information for the Department of Finance
• Responded to inquiries from suppliers, departmental employees, and others with respect to payment processing and processed invoices
• Provided financial guidance and support to District, Provincial Office and regional staff
• Liaised with the Department of Finance on a regular basis
Very nice and productive work environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 June 2018
The researchers were all very nice and all were each interested in each others research work. The work requires mostly independence in conducting your own experiments but everyone was willing to pitch in when needed.
Places I have worked have rewarded proficiency with $. They tried to do this.
Senior Policy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 May 2018
My time with NAFC was rewarding. With TAAG not so much. The pressure on consulting companies is intense, and that is reflected in the work expectation
Pros
Some freedom
Cons
Unrequited influence
Very Friendly and Productive
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2018
Working in the federal government is undoubtedly a memorable and learning experience. A typical day includes having your Tim Horton coffee and having a few short meetings on a daily basis..
Excellent job for a student looking for work experience and a place to learn!
Project Assistant - Innovation and Technology (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2018
As a student in a business program it is ideal to have a job in a working business to expand your expertise, and this job was great for that.I've learned so much about the basic operations of a business at a fairly stress free level with a great pension and many benefits!
Very friendly environment, work just was not for me
Support Service Agent for Immigration, Refugees (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2018
In this job, I processed applications for permanent residency in Canada. The work was very repetitive and I was overall unhappy in the workplace due to the shift and the type of work.
Pros
shift incentive
Cons
very repetitive and boring
Great place to learn and attain work life balance.
Capital Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2018
Working with First Nation communities has been a joy for me. I truly enjoy helping to develop capacity in various areas, including strategic planning, project management, governance, etc. The communities are wonderful to work with as they make the job worth while.
Pros
Community communication
Cons
Never enough resources to support all the communities.
Opportunities vary by type of Government in office
Manager Community Services (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NS7 April 2018
Opportunities to learn and be effective vary as to the department and type of government. I was able to lead a number of new and innovative processes and changes to policy.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
slow and bueracratic
Great expereince
Senior Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2018
Amazing work experience. A lot of great people who are very smart and knowledgeable in their respective filed. Would highly recommend this employer. GoC is great.
Excellent
Support Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS16 March 2018
Great team of people and supervisors. Very pleased and enjoyed my work .I wish the job was a little more than casual , however I was very happy to have the opportunity to work at this location.
Pros
The People
A place filled with Comradery
Communications Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 March 2018
Day to day work at the unit I was apart of left us with a good amount of free time, the work was hard however the survival and problem solving skills we learned are things I will take with me for the rest of my life.
Pros
Free Lunches
Interesting, though at times challenging
Policy Analyst - Contract (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 February 2018
The most challenging part of this job was a lack of training. Often my manager was absent, and there were few experienced staff to whom I could turn for guidance on my tasks. The tasks were often vague and demanded training in order to complete them well.

Some of my work tasks were interesting, focused on matters that related to youth and indigenous entrepreneurs. Others were mundane, though I expected as much from the job.

My colleagues made for a good work culture. Generally they were all interesting, and friendly people.
Pros
Good pay, good hours
Cons
Lack of training, lack of mentorship, often vague and superficial work tasks
Free of all parpas.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Canada26 February 2018
I wanted it because this job country collection is very better presented. I like and live there. Almost l reached their ready to this. I prefer presumed to be in features.
Pros
Totally agree.
Cons
Full long time working.
Pay system is a disaster.
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2018
Mostly due to the awful pay system, after 7 years I resigned and moved on with my life. The pay system is horrible. I have years worth of on going pay issues. I went off on sick leave after developing issues with my spine. The failed pay system is a horrible experience that no person should have to go through while on sick leave, or any employee for that matter. After resigning, more then a year and half later everything is still totally screwed up. I recommend not working for the Government of Canada until the pay issues are are resolved.
Pros
Pros are over shadowed by the horrible pay system.
Cons
Nightmare pay system.
End to End
Implementation Consultant / Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
I start my day with checking all the problem needing to be solve for the day and then organize myself between project work and troubleshooting certain thing other teams. My time is always managed well and if there is something important to do it will be done first and so on.
Busy and strict
Canadian Armed Forces (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON16 January 2018
I enjoy working in the forces i have for 6 years. Ive been part time for those years and i have nithing to complain about. Im a fast oaced and hard working human and loved what they have to offer and still do.