Government of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Subcontractors
Employment Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2019
Subcontractors do not pay well. Redundant work. Too much data entry less work helping clients. No consideration of the worker well being. Training is not standardized and subjective to every contractor. Subcontractor and managers of agencies spies on your computer. Be careful to except extra duties. Subcontractor will ask you to cover multiple positions and Possibly fire you for not doing well.
Cons
Subcontractor and managers of agencies spies on your computer.
Fun work enviorment
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC5 July 2019
I worked for the government concerning the elections. It was good pay for one days of work and a training day (which they pay you for). I enjoyed working with the other employees for the day. My favourite part of the job was the administrative aspect.
Bureaucracy Rules
Public Affairs Officer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 October 2018
If you can survive the cliches of government work, i.e. the HR nightmare, the work itself is fascinating. I would still be in government, but I found the culture booming so toxic in my unit I needed to move into the private sector.
Top employer in the Province
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 October 2018
So much room for growth. Pension package is incredible. On-going professional development opportunities. Good union agreement. Pay is above average, regular step increase raise every year as per collective agreement. Additional pay raises 1-2 times per year as per year to account for market inflation. (as per collective agreement). many employee perks (personal travel hotel discounts, cell phone plan discounts, gym memberships etc etc etc)

With a good local manager or team lead, a team can excel. Without it, the team fails. This is in all different departments no matter where you go. Sometimes you must move yourself around to find the best team that fits your needs as there IS office drama all over. Especially for MCFD. I stayed in protection for 1 year before moving on into other ministries that were less burnt out.
Excellent Benefits
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 October 2018
Cannot beat the benefit package and pension. regular hours, (830-430, all holidays and stats off. Employers are great to work for. Union protection. Now that I am in, I will never leave.
Under-funded IT led by Incompetent Mgmt
Sr. Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 September 2018
The Director of IT hired me as a DBA, but the Dept manager demanded I develop a computer app. software. So I did, but the Dept Mgr then said I should also work for his private consulting company during regular work time for govt. I refused and he continued to withhold DBA job role. So I completed my project then found another job in BC Govt with Internet Services.

All the contractors partied hardy with the two Govt BCIS managers - a former waitress and mail-sorting manager. My two co-workers previously sorted mail for a living, and they were now all in charge of the provinces internet services which was entirely on a 1990's desktop computer in the corner - without any backup.

The contractors used by BCIS failed to document their obscure, buggy code ensuring their job security. Some of the "warm body" contractors being paid $150-200/hour were former building construction contractors and secretaries that were learning to program on the job. BC Govt announced mass layoffs of 10,000 workers - when I questioned why the expensive contractors were not being laid off my job became redundant later that week. I overheard one manager remark (not knowing I was waiting outside the door) that I was not an islander and they would get rid of me. Also because I did not party hardy with them & their contractor buddies and I did not smoke dope as they commented enjoying on weekends.

They also commented on their Senior Manager being a lesbian and got her fired too because they did not like her or her kind.

Instead of taking another job per union rules, I said somebody in BC Govt
  more... has a family & mortgage, so I would move back to Alberta. I was PROMISED by the BC Govt HR that I would be first contacted if ANY IT jobs came up - which never happened and all my BC Govt IT job applications were rejected. I also continued to be shafted out of other job applications by less than courteous replies by former supervisors.  less
Pros
Victoria very nice City to live
Cons
Treachery & Deceit Abundant in Mgmt Cliques
A well balanced office to work in
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 November 2017
Quite a few diverse tasks to keep the days interesting. Worked with a good team and the culture was enjoyable. I definitely learned time management skills or orientating my days to complete my many tasks.
Pros
Good work to life balance
Cons
Typical office dramas
Great job
Princeton Sierras Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Princeton, BC6 October 2017
Forest firefighter. Awesome time. Great summer job. Great people. Lived on the base in Princeton and really developed some strong leadership skills here. Wish I could go back.
workplace culture
Client Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 September 2017
For some this may be difficult, but your are bound by strict policies and regulations to follow. Creativity is not a usual part when working for government.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low job security
Toxic, Hostile work environment
Workplace Technology Analyst (AUX Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 July 2017
Bad management, horrible co-workers. I was swore at, disrespected and management wouldn't take responsibility. My experience here was not a positive one. Would definitely steer clear of this Information Management Branch.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Hostile work environment, bad management, terrible co-workers
Unique work with great pay
Parliamentary Player (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 May 2017
A very unique work experience, exhausting due to interacting with thousands of people per day but the pay was great, however the job did consume my summer
Progress, positive place to work, very busy and part tiime not an option
Aviation Assistant BC Wildfire (Current Employee) –  Kamloops BC26 April 2017
Wonderful place to work, lots to learn and grow.
Room to upgrade skills and learn to tasks, and move within the government spectrum. Mentors available and fitness is promoted.
looking more for part time work at this stage in my life.
Pros
room for advancement, positive, room to grow and learn
Cons
Busy and no room for part time
Amazing employer!
Assistance Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 March 2017
Best work life balance in all areas. Great management, people are great to work for. Multiple challenges every day! Always something new, and never the usual same old thing.
enjoyable place to work
Oracle DBA - independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 November 2015
Very enjoyable group to work with. All had very good dispositions and a sense of humor.
The group was technically astute and as soon as I proved myself to them I was accepted without reservation.
Sharing information was done with mutual respect.
The hardest part of the job was defending the required rigor for the delivery of database solutions to management teams with tight time constraints.
The most enjoyable part of the two year assignment was the on time delivery of the project.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
tight timelines
Good training and employee support
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 October 2015
Learned new computer software and social work skills. Enjoyed intakes the most, as well as work with vulnerable youth.
Flexible and Friendly
Project Support (Former Employee) –  Victoria18 August 2015
I was impressed by the shift flexibility; it was nice to end the day at 3 in the afternoon, rather than the typical 4:30. The staff were incredibly friendly as well. It was a positive experience.
Dynamic, Fast paced and topical
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 May 2014
I enjoyed my time working in the Legislative Buildings. Politics is a dynamic and multi faceted world, and supporting the elected members is very rewarding.
Not a nine to five position lots of overtime and late nights.
A job you can be proud of with lots of incentive.
Regular Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC4 April 2014
Running cash throughout the day and dealing with customer needs. Stocking shelves, pulling warehouse products, deliveries and filling licencee orders. I've learnt to juggle a variety of duties which makes the job interesting and challenging (I like a challenge.) At the end of the day I'm usually proud of myself and accomplishments. Most customers co-workers are wonderful,understanding and friendly. They are like family. There are a few disgruntled customers who never seem happy and will take it out on the retail staff. You need to just not take it personally. Management staff comes and goes on a yearly basis for whatever reason and we have a Head Office which deals with that.
Pros
Every 3 weeks have a 3 or 5 day weekend. Great benefits.
Cons
The odd personality clash which comes with retail jobs.
Productive and interesting workplace
Facilities Administration Support (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 February 2014
Good opportunities for advancement, excellent salary and benefits programme, exciting environment within the labour movement.
Pros
4-day work week for support staff
Lots of fun
Temp - Information officer and Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver Polling Station19 January 2014
Had a really fun day at the poles. Met and worked with many wonderful people out in West Vancouver.