Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Excellent Career Opportunity
Advocacy (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2017
Stakeholder engagement wit GOA agencies, MD's, counties, landowner groups. Intervening on behalf of landowners with the oil and gas industry and GOA. Extensive public speaking. Committee work. Issue identification. Advisory to landowners and senior officials.
Pros
Opportunity for development
Cons
Working all hours and significant travel
Fast Pace, Collaborative and Highly Learning Environment, Corporate Culture.
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2014
Fun working environment, Co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help, Decent compensation and benefits, and earned days off.
People who talk big and more are not essentially more trusted and knowledgeable.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Good Hours, Flexible timing, Corporate Culture.
Cons
Slow or No Advancement in Career.
Room for personal growth and advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB18 November 2014
You never know what the day will bring, with absent upper level management cover off on my part. I've learned something new everyday, and I absorb it all in! Management were there to assist in problems, employees were having. The hardest part was the working with different work ethics. I enjoyed the many great people I have met along the way.
Pros
Paid time off
Coordinated support services for a new application introduced for social workers.
Manager Support Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2015
As manager of the support service desk my main responsibilities were to ensure that social workers had all the support they needed to use the new computer application. This included coordinating 8 support staff in the day to day duties needed, ensuring on-going training, and documentation was up to date.
Great work experience
Junior Forest Ranger Member (Former Employee) –  Wabasca, AB1 September 2016
It was a great summer job! i highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the forestry industry. I made friends for life and honed many of my skills such as leadership and organization. A typical day was always different as the crew leaders always had a new work project for us each day.
Pros
Great work experience, Job diversity
Cons
Lots of driving
Have to be truthful
Reconciliation Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2017
Worked with the GOA for 22 years and during that time had very little time that I felt like I was a valued employee. Saw wage rollbacks, freezes and cutbacks and through it all those that remained never felt valued.
Pros
Wage paid most of the bills
Cons
Wage wasn't enough to get ahead
Stressful, split minute decisions , safety of all, control of inmate movements/ activity
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2016
Hard on you mentally , physically but most important it's really hard on your family , I'm proud to be a correctional officer and I love my job . But my family feels a bit different so , I got to do what's best for all of us !
Pros
Government pension, union
Cons
Mentally, physically, emotionally draining
Great Team
Administrative Support - Finance (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 August 2017
Great workplace culture, but lack of respect for admin. No followup with management with issues. Lots of policy and procedure but great encouragement with respect in the workplace
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No true leadership
Love this job
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 February 2015
This job was one of my favourites. Love typing, typing legal documents and other documents, answered phones, transferred the phone calls to the appropriate social worker, open the mail and distributed it to the right person, love enjoy the time with my co-workers. It was too bad that it was just a 6 months contract job.
Pros
Breakfast meetings with nice co-wokers
Cons
6 months contract job
No loyalty to employees
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge,Ab7 April 2016
You are just a disposable number. Unless you know how to suck up, you are NOTHING!!! You can work your butt off and it means NOTHING!! Management preaches accountability, respect, integrity but Don't practise what they preach. No matter how much dedication and loyalty you show, it means nothing unless you suck up to the right people. A lot of low life backstabbers employed by the GoA. Useless welfare cases are kept on. Show more ambition than management and youre gone, first lame excuse they can find. Any other company tries to find their employees another position before laying people off. GoA turns you out the door and then comes up with a feeble effort and lame excuses to find you another position.
Pros
Decent benefits as in time off. Oodles of excuses available to get paid time off.
Cons
You are nothing but a disposable number
Productive, energetic, fast-paced
Senior Project Coordinator/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta29 April 2014
-fast paced environment
-stream line decison making process
-fun, energetic environment
-working with highly skilled senior management level indiviudals from across goverment
Pros
energetic, streamlined process, very productive, can see results of work
Cons
can be unpredictable, things change rapidly sometimes without notice
Rewarding and fast paced work environment
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2014
The Government was an excellent place to work, I did a lot of individual projects where I got to decide how and when I wanted to do it. I spent a lot of time doing information management.

I learned a lot about government processes and how decision making is done.

I was a part of many teams and I liked everyone I worked with, people were excellent.
Fast paced and challenging
Administrative Support (AS3) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
Working for the Government of Alberta is extremely satisfying and rewarding. I love the challenge and pace of the office. I enjoy the interaction with the families and the children.
Pros
Rewarding to know you have done a good job
Fantastic Place to Work
Human Resource Recruiter - Temporary role (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2014
Excellent organization enabling employees to reach their full potential but providing learning, leadership and growth opportunities. Allowing employees to take thoughtful risk in trying new and innovative ways of doing business and actively making Alberta a better place to live.
Pros
Compressed work week
Has freedom of movement. Able to organize my work as I want to.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2013
> Check my assignment regularly in the morning and in the afternoon, and organize my work for the day and the following days accordingly.
> Coordinate my activities with my superior.
> Hold discussions with co-workers
> Conduct field inspections, and issue orders for compliance when needed to employers
> Provide health and safety information to my employers and workers
> Remain calm in conduct of my work. I learned to be open minded.
> It was hardest to deal with uncooperative employers and workers but I always maintained diplomatic approach.
> It was most enjoyable everyday after a field inspection when I am able to educate workers and employers on safeguarding the health and safety of themselves and their work site.
Pros
respectable work
Cons
affected by frequent change of top management
Amazing
Health Benefits Assessor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2017
LOVE working here. Best co-workers and managers ever! This has been absolutely one of the most amazing assignments I have ever been on. Definitely a hard employer to have to leave!
good work environment
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton30 March 2014
excellent work environment with abundance of opportunities for new learning experiences.
excellent interaction with peers, management and subordinates.
wide variety of job functions and duties.
continuous educational opportunities
Pros
benefits, interaction with others
Cons
stressful conditions during tight timelines
Excellent work environment
Data Management Support, Communicable Diseases (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2014
I was always busy at Alberta Health. There was never a slow period, as my department always had incoming work. I knew what was expected of me from day to day. Great management and supervisors.
Pros
Eap, Union, Excellent pay, Education related to Government policies
Cons
A lot of deductions from each paycheck
Great Summer job
Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Blairmore, AB14 March 2016
Worked as a seasonal worker. Great job, really fun, worked outdoors, good hours ( 10 hour days monday to thursday) wage was pretty good. Location of the job in the crowsnest pass was awesome. management of the program not so much
Pros
Outdoor work, freedom, fun atmosphere
Cons
only seasonal, not very good managment
workplace
Correctional Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
The environment can be stressful. Some people, though book smart, should not be working there for safety reasons. Be ready for shift work and overtime.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2