Government Of Alberta
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Fantastic team, positive experience

There were many things I was not sure of and not one person declined to help. I was offered help as a new trainee and regularly checked in with by management.

Pros

Always gave us reasonable caseloads, lots of program availability for families, keeping children together and in their own communities goal, Seeing families stay together and each members confidence grow and thrive was my favourite

Cons

Long hours. lots, of paperwork, official reports, seeing children have to be removed for their own safety, deep distrust of agency. Took a lot to win the community over.

Soul-sucking

I loved my job - but I was treated poorly by government stakeholders (my role involved coordinating large events for other government employees) and management. The complexities of my role were overlooked and when I applied for a reclassification (with the full support of my director), my manager and the executive director advised that they were going to class it down, not up, as I was requesting. Frequent payfreezes meant taking pay cuts year after year. My coworkers hoarded information and refused to work as a larger team - the air of paranoia amongst employees was very real, everyone was afraid of decreasing their value by sharing knowledge they held. Upward mobility was virtually impossible (I applied for numerous internal postings as a long-term employee with favourable reviews) and so, I left. I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone to a job with the Government of Alberta. Unless the government changes hands, longer-term, I would not consider returning.

Pros

Stability

Cons

Everything else

Horrible. Be a drone work at GoA

Awful. This is where creativity goes to die. They even have a whole exercise about reaching full potential while ensuring no one does anything outside of the box. Bullies. Slackers. Overpaid people who do their best to not work and they don't want people to work hard and show them up.

Pros

pay

Cons

everything

Terrible place to work. No accountability always looking for someone blame to for mistakes and chastises you in front of all staff

I did not enjoy working here. Very clicky if you weren’t “in” with management you were blamed for any mistakes made whether it was your or not. Very often you would see someone crying at there desk. After 3 years of working there no one acknowledged that it was my last of work. Not even one word until I was packing up and wanted to leave did they even talk to me and I just wanted to get out of there.

Pros

Judges were nice

Cons

Long hours no recognition for the extra time you put in

Ruined as a workplace

It’s a very unfortunate situation. Cutbacks, interminable hiring and salary freezes, poor management, reorganizations, unpredictable layoffs, and an ineffectual union make work stressful and difficult. As most people exit they are not replaced, and their work is piled onto those remaining. Decent pay and benefits are all that is left, and even those are being eroded. A lot of great, hard working people are backed into corners and waiting either for retirement or the next opportunity to escape. It will take many, many years before things look up here again. Looking to rejoin the private sector because my health is failing as a result of constant stress, and life is more important than the pension. The money isn’t much better than in the private sector, anyway.

Pros

Nice, public service oriented, smart, and hard-working front line staff. Good salary and benefits if you land a permanent position.

Cons

Not enough people to meet expectations, Unrealistically large workloads, Frequent staff burnout and attrition

HR People …run (don't walk) as far away from this org as possible!

So much wrong with this organization right now. HR leadership is painfully out of touch with outdated HR practices and management styles. Overall the organization does not value HR. Deteriorating employee morale and engagement as management whistles its way past the graveyard. Turnover, demotions, no opportunities for advancement or development. This should be your last choice for an HR career....a brief stop over at best.

Pros

Work life balance maybe but that is being eroded due to turnover issues.

Cons

Lack of resources, outdated practices, no development opportunities, archaic management and leadership, etc.

Great team and colleagues with other ministries

It was wonderful moving forward on projects that made things easier for the citizens of the province. Issue was continual change in direction and impossible requests by ADM and DM who had no idea how things were funded or paid for.

Pros

Great team

Cons

Ridiculous requests by ADM & DM. They had no knowledge of how things operated and the costs involved

Very fluid environment, peaks were stressful and valleys were opportunity for learning/training. Overall good place to work.

Fair amount of opportunities for advancement. Budget was available for training (which was unusual). Immediate management was typically very supportive, whereas higher management seemed not to be as openly supportive or visible. Flexible work arrangements available, benefits were good. Overall a great place to work, and great people to work with.

Pros

Flexible work hours, location allowed for free parking, great people.

Cons

Long hours, stressful periods, many organization changes.

I love it

I love it! Fun to work! Management is great, everybody is supportive. At the beginning not easy, but That's everywhere. As soon, as you pick up the routine and you know your job, you have no problem.

Pros

Free lunches, family atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes boring

Would not recommend

If you enjoy unrealistic goals, ridiculous to nonexistent timelines with a partisan focus, the GOA is the place for you. Your co-workers would likely be some of the best humans around but the higher one goes, the less likely this is to be true. Not all their fault, the elected officials create an atmosphere of fear, mistrust and anxiety.

Pros

Smart, altruistic co-workers

Cons

Unreasonable, uninformed demands which creates a special kind of anxiety that reverberates from the top down.

GOA North Vs. South

With Government for several years. Edmonton was great experience and work culture. Very supportive management. Worked both in Northern and Southern Region of Province. Southern Province nothing but headaches, management full of bullies, negative work place, very clicky, and shoulder tapping is big if you want growth. Northern Region can't speak nothing but positive, South negative and they need new individuals to change the work culture from top down. Not supportive of work life balance. I would go back North for GOA any day. South - specifically Medicine Hat to Lethbridge and to Calgary - Needs change in Management!

Pros

good paid and benifits

Cons

clicky, unhealthy workplace culture, not support of work life balance

Great place for well experienced individuals!

Great place for teamwork. Also had a lot of opportunity for personal input and control over decisions related to the functions for which I was responsible. Nice place for a pre-retirement job!!

Pros

Flex time in working hours.

Cons

Multiple levels of overview on technical and other issues with political implications!

I work in criminal justice so what else is there to say? it's the business of putting people in jail...sad but true.

Order in Council appointment. Irregular work. No real direction provided as it is a neutral independent role.Hiring by the Alberta government is a phantom process as they post approximately 8 to 10 times more jobs than are actually ever filled. True story. if you add up the numbers of jobs posted on the Alberta government website and compare them with the annual number of jobs that are declared "filled", you will see that this is the case. It seems like jobs are posted then taken down and then posted and taken down repeatedly. At least this keeps someone in the HR department employed...lol!

Pros

Clothing allowance

Cons

Irregular and erratic hours no overtime

Very busy environment

Very busy environment doing a lot of data entry every day throughout the day. Work independently, must be a self starter and motivated during the day to get data into the system or filing Writs.

Pros

Great people at the workplace

Cons

Data entry all day long

Productive and flexible work environment

Really enjoyed working with Government. Very friendly And helpful people. One has to demonstrate agility to be successful in such organization.Great benefits and opportunity of growth and development.

Child Intervention Practitioner

My Supervisor and my team members I can not say enough good things about. They were the reason I stayed as long as I did. The job is extremely stressful, and the training is really inadequate. Your team and Supervisor is too busy to properly train you so you are thrown into a very demanding job nearly blind. There is little to no support from upper management and the interview process is a joke. They rate you on a point system and your performance has no bearing, so if you don't interview well then you are pretty much out of luck for any advancement or permanent position. Pay is on the low scale for the work that you do, you feel under valued and under payed in this job.

Pros

Some Supervisors are fantastic

Cons

stressful

Terrible Work Environment

Work environment is worse than a high school. Career advancement is virtually non-existent without being "friends" or "one of the boys" with management - Regardless of your education or qualifications. If you are not good at your job you will get shuffled around from place to place until you either quit or management finds a place where they can "hide" you and you will work there until you quit or retire. Union Representation is virtually non-existent and AUPE will do almost nothing to help you out when you need them. Staff do not follow Standard Operating Procedures Routinely, interpersonal relationships, drug use, alcoholism run rampant. No accountability anywhere as management is constantly trying to get higher management positions and no one wants to ruffle feathers and create investigations or paperwork. One of the most appalling work environments you will ever encounter.

Great workplace - one of the best I've worked in

Working at the Government of Alberta is an amazing job/career opportunity. The salary and benefits are top notch, job security so long as you are permanent is excellent, and there is a strong emphasis on work-life balance. I found the people I worked with at the Government of Alberta extremely friendly, helpful, and collaborative. The culture of the workplace is fast-paced and collaborative. Overall, an excellent place to work, and a place I would recommend to anyone. Only downside is it's extremely difficult to get into, particularly at the moment given the Kenney United Conservative Party Government and all of the cuts occuring to the public secotr. I worked there in 2017, and unfortunately while I was laid off (I was temporary full-time), the job was without a doubt, one of my favorites I've held. Great training and development opportunitites as well, and incredible advancement opportunities within.

Pros

Salary/Benefits, Job Security, Advancement Opportunities, Great culture, Amazing training and development opportunities

Cons

Very difficult to get into, Can be bureaucratic with processes

Very stressful environment

Very stressful work environment. Going though lots of restructuring however there is benefit of serving Albertan. Lots of opportunity to move around the organization.

Such a disappointment - avoid

Leadership within some Ministries (Environment and Parks as one example) is very poor. If you are not a "lifer" or politically connected you will be the subject of harassment and abuse. Working endless hours is expected and yet not acknowledged financially or through performance reviews. The culture is reactive and hostile. Harassment occurs frequently, is tolerated, and is enabled. It is not a culture that respects diversity, inclusion or innovation. The environment will be a step-back in your career and should be avoided if you have other opportunities.

It is a good job

Typical government agency. You need to have patience and be self driven. It is OK and provides a good life / work balance. I would recommend it and I do miss it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement