Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Working with the government of Alberta
Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Westmount Corporate Campus, Calgary, AB20 June 2018
Getting the messages at the fax machine, gathering mails and packages that arrived our office and placing each of these items on the inbox of each personnel. would be the first thing for me to do. A happy attitude with a sweet smile are things to carry on at work. Being mindful of job performance is key to be successful. And I enjoy decorating our social rooms on parties and get-togethers.
Pros
Ice Cream and Specialty desserts
Excellent place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2018
I really enjoyed working here. The people are excellent and the environment was fun. Only problem was how long it took to receive a raise and there wasn't any way to advance in your career.
Pros
Excellent job security and work environment
Cons
no room for advancement
Poor Culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
Human Resources and Labour Relations are two very different working groups. Labour Relations looks down on HR people, even though very few of the LR people have their CPHR designations. Lots of profanity used by LR Consultants, can hardly speak without using F-bombs or "JC".

If you come in from outside of Government there is an expectation that you just know. The culture does not encourage asking questions. Be prepared to be "set up to fail".

Consultants are more interested in gabbing in the hallways than actually doing work.
Pros
Salary and pension
Cons
Very little leadership or direction provided
Administrative Assistant/Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
Great place to work. Great employees. Work/life balance. Room for growth. Challenging and rewarding. Internal courses to further growth. Supportive management.
Temp Term
Administrative Assistant - Temporary Term (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 February 2018
This was a temporary term position and there was no guarantee at the time of full time due to the new government of NDP coming into power. The project might have been shut down.
Excellent place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
I loved working here. The people are great and management was excellent.Only reason I moved on was the lack of advancement opportunities. Salary increases were few and when they did happen it had to go through a lot of red tape to be approved.
Pros
excellent employer
Cons
salary increases and advancement opportunities lacking
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2017
unfortunately this is a contract position and there is an end scheduled. I do not know if I will be renewed. I would love to stay but need to have more job security.
Great Team
Administrative Support - Finance (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 August 2017
Great workplace culture, but lack of respect for admin. No followup with management with issues. Lots of policy and procedure but great encouragement with respect in the workplace
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No true leadership
Fast paced and challenging
Administrative Support (AS3) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
Working for the Government of Alberta is extremely satisfying and rewarding. I love the challenge and pace of the office. I enjoy the interaction with the families and the children.
Pros
Rewarding to know you have done a good job
I enjoyed working in all the departments and offices.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Working independently and as a team are my strengths. Enjoy working with the public. I have 30 years experience in the Administrative role, very qualified for any administrative position.
Pros
Number of vacation days
Cons
Working over the Christmas Holidays

Want to know more about Government Of Alberta?

Ask a question
Lots of Learning Opportunities
Admin Assist/Admin Sup Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 January 2017
Excellent benefits, good pay, union is very involved. Lots of learning opportunities: in classroom, online and on the job. Overall a good place to work.
Great work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
A typical work day would be going through emails to see if there are any Action Requests that need to be dealt with. After all that is handled, work through the share point system. Other administrative tasks such as scans, spreadsheets, filing, mail, etc..I learned how to deal with time management and multitasking in a daily basis. My coworkers are amazing and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is the abundance amount of work we get it and trying to meet deadlines. The most enjoyable would be the staff here.
Very pleasant place to work
Administrative Support, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
working here has helped me further understand the practices of Human Resources and develop my skills as a professional. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new skills in various jobs.
Administration 4
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2015
I've never had so much fun at a workplace. Working for GOV was a very good experience. I would welcome another opportunity.
Pros
Administration for 20 employee's
Cons
Short contracts
Working here can reach your potential
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton11 August 2015
Helping the vulnerable people makes me feel very happy. We are having a lot of teamwork activities in our workplace such as building Legos, bake sale for fundraiser, helping set up with communities BBQ, blood drive etc.
Room for personal growth and advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB18 November 2014
You never know what the day will bring, with absent upper level management cover off on my part. I've learned something new everyday, and I absorb it all in! Management were there to assist in problems, employees were having. The hardest part was the working with different work ethics. I enjoyed the many great people I have met along the way.
Pros
Paid time off
Generally pretty good.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Ministry of Health12 November 2014
Check email regularly for meeting room bookings and invitations. Some great people to work with and enough time in the day to get the work done. A super opportunity to see the inner workings of how politics impact day to day activities.
Productive and fun filled work environment
Administrative Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2014
Job are well designed
Management is good and understanding
Co-workers are helpful
Great Job
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2013
Worked on contracts of the sustainable resource department. Alongside contract review and data entry, basic financial auditing was also done on a daily basis. Review and ensuring that the financial transaction were completed correctly and that there were no errors in the numbers and if so that they were reported. Lots of opportunities to take on more roles was always there, which was a great way to learn more, also was one of the best parts of the job. Management was extremely helpful when it came to training and guidance at work.
Is a productive and fun workplace to always be
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2013
- Attending to client, coding mail in database and other assign
duties.
- To be organize and meet schedule deadline.
- I managed my time and resource well, make a follow-up for
my client to achieve their goal.
- My co-workers are so helpful to achieve the soft skill and culture
in Canadian office.
- Difficult client to please.
- Be able to solve client issue and make him or her happy.
Pros
Free Summer Barbecue

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2