Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Excellent place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
I loved working here. The people are great and management was excellent.Only reason I moved on was the lack of advancement opportunities. Salary increases were few and when they did happen it had to go through a lot of red tape to be approved.
Pros
excellent employer
Cons
salary increases and advancement opportunities lacking
Lots of security and good pay, huge amount of red tape
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2018
Good pay and good security, but the mountain of red tape when it came to getting anything done was ridiculous. Don't try to innovate or optimize work as you'll get put in your place for making others look bad.
Pros
Good pay, lots of security
Cons
Mountain of red tape
Great job security
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2017
the Government of Alberta offers great opportunities for their staff regarding education, diversity, advancement and experience. Investing in a career also offers decent pension options.
Supportive environment, with many opportunities to level up
Program Support 3 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2017
As a Program Support Level 3, I learned the computer operations required to work for the Government of Alberta. The environment was very supportive and allowed opportunities for growth
Cant Complain
GIS Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Pay extremely well, however management hierarchy does not do a good job of communicating between higher positions with lower ones; this lead to a lot of frustration and confusion.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Flaky job security
Review
Records Coordinator (AS IV) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
In my current position working with the File Room Management team with Service Alberta as a Records Coordinator has helped build my skills in records management. It provides good opportunity to build on my analytical skill and project management. It also allows creativity in resolving issues arising from legacy issues on certain records.
Amazing
Health Benefits Assessor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2017
LOVE working here. Best co-workers and managers ever! This has been absolutely one of the most amazing assignments I have ever been on. Definitely a hard employer to have to leave!
Great Experience
Supports for Permanency Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2017
Working for the Gov was a great experience. Lots of nice people, however the work was heavily relied on deadlines and financial stuff. It was fun. I would defiantly do it again!
Great people but management.....
Consultant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2017
GoA is a good place to work but it's only as good as the management team who are directing it. Service Alberta is very political and the Directors only support furthering their own agendas, surround themselves with "Yes" people and promote long time friends/acquaintances into roles they are unfit for. The Directors at Service Alberta don't care much for contractors who do all the heavy lifting on the projects while the full time employees sit back and give direction.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management "Boys Club" mentality
Decent career
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Not a bad career choice depending on what office you end up working in. My manager was terrible and so we had no team morale. There was no team building. You were discouraged to have conversations with co-workers except if it was about work. I was bullied by my manager and she made it very difficult to want to go to work.
Great job security and opportunities for advanceement
Employment Standards Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Fantastic employer with great benefits and pay. Flex time and other work/family arrangements helped enable a positive working environment along with frequent awards and accolades provided by upper management.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Possibilities of negative work reputation.
Flexible Work Schedule
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2017
I have a great group of coworkers who do they best they can to help each other with our workloads which can be overwhelming at times.

Management can be difficult and not very understanding.

We do have a great flexible work schedule program.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, Pension
Cons
workload distribution
Great job
Senior Advisor, Business + Operational Planning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2017
I loved this job. Right out of school it was exactly what I wanted. It was a difficult decision to leave in order to pursue my master's degree in Vancouver.
I enjoyed working in all the departments and offices.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Working independently and as a team are my strengths. Enjoy working with the public. I have 30 years experience in the Administrative role, very qualified for any administrative position.
Pros
Number of vacation days
Cons
Working over the Christmas Holidays
Interesting work helping vulnerable Albertans with their tax and financial affairs.
Taxation Officer - Temp (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
The Office of the Public Guardian & Trustee is charged with assisting those Albertans who are deemed by Court Order incapable of managing their finances by themselves.
The Public Trustee monitors the clients' investments and tax returns to maximize their personal holdings.
Very capable people are looking out for the best interests of the clients.
average workplace, great environment, though the payscale is a bit questionable on some positions
Procurement Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
If you work hard and is very respectful they will definitely keep you. System-wise, they are a bit slow and old school compared to private firms. Way behind than private firms but then when you think of the extra benefits and the culture, you will stay. That is, if you are the type of person who is laid back and contented with a normal job.
Have to be truthful
Reconciliation Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2017
Worked with the GOA for 22 years and during that time had very little time that I felt like I was a valued employee. Saw wage rollbacks, freezes and cutbacks and through it all those that remained never felt valued.
Pros
Wage paid most of the bills
Cons
Wage wasn't enough to get ahead
Supportive work environment
Learning Clicks Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
In this job I worked independently, and simultaneously with a team. I created my own schedule, setting up presentations at schools throughout Alberta, and worked with youth from ages 9-18 years old. The workplace was very supportive as it made sure everyone on the team was offered assistance and guidance when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to travel, present, and constantly meet new people.
Pros
Travel, meet new people, and present
Cons
Long hours of travel on the road
Best Employer I've Had
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2017
I've been with the Alberta Climate Change Office for approximately four months, and so far it is has been the best employer I've had, for the following reasons:

- An unbelievably skilled group of employees. My peers are highly educated, and are recognized experts in their respective disciplines.
- Excellent system of peer review. All work is given is proper consideration, and provided excellent, fact-based feedback.
- Excellent system of work collaboration, which involves simultaneous authorship using Sharepoint.
- Managers and Executives seem willing to accept two-way feedback (although I might be wrong about this, and they might be tired of my thoughts and ready to suffocate me!)
- Excellent system for writing summary documents and asking for written input. Key insights are summarized into an accessible system, providing a gold mine of readily available information.
- All employees generally have excellent writing and communication skills. My own writing skills are deficient by comparison.
- Good defined benefits pension plan, which is highly secure since it is part of a public sector pension plan.

However, there is always of course some room for improvement:
- Sometimes excessive workload with extremely tight timelines, which can conflict with work/life balance.
- Due to the high workload and ambitious deadlines, there may be too much reactive work and not enough proactive planning.
- It seems that some deadlines are fabricated and not based on actual requirements.
- Too much focus on the conceptual big picture, and not enough focus on details and analysis
  more... at times. Analysis results could be better used to guide decision making.  less
Pros
Fascinating work, top notch teams, highly skilled individual contributors, receptive management, good benefits.
Cons
Public sector pay will never match the private sector
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2017
Great people and an amazing experience as a consultant was gained. Learned recruitment process, arbitration prep, grievances and writing disciplinary letters. Most enjoyable part was people/managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2