Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Poor Culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
Human Resources and Labour Relations are two very different working groups. Labour Relations looks down on HR people, even though very few of the LR people have their CPHR designations. Lots of profanity used by LR Consultants, can hardly speak without using F-bombs or "JC".

If you come in from outside of Government there is an expectation that you just know. The culture does not encourage asking questions. Be prepared to be "set up to fail".

Consultants are more interested in gabbing in the hallways than actually doing work.
Pros
Salary and pension
Cons
Very little leadership or direction provided
Tough to move around
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2018
One of my biggest complaints about the GOA is that it's very difficult to advance your career and have your voice be heard when you have an issue to deal with. Management can be difficult to deal with.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Excellent place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2018
I really enjoyed working here. The people are excellent and the environment was fun. Only problem was how long it took to receive a raise and there wasn't any way to advance in your career.
Pros
Excellent job security and work environment
Cons
no room for advancement
N/a
Analyst (Program Services 2) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2018
I would decline to provide an assessment.

A typical day is concomitant with any office work. There are a variety of skills to be learned. I would decline to provide an opinion on management or the workplace culture. This is too subjective. The hardest part of the job is the inundation of negativity from the Alberta public and what they perceive as a "government employee". The most enjoyable part of the job is public service and the knowledge that you are helping citizens.
You're doing important work
Manager, Writing and Editing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2018
Beats working for profit, if you like having a higher purpose. Be prepared for rigid bureaucracy. The culture changes when the elected government changes, and a lot depends on the individual manager you work for. Salary and benefits are excellent.
Excellent place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
I loved working here. The people are great and management was excellent.Only reason I moved on was the lack of advancement opportunities. Salary increases were few and when they did happen it had to go through a lot of red tape to be approved.
Pros
excellent employer
Cons
salary increases and advancement opportunities lacking
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 December 2018
Welcoming environment. Have developed my people skill. Management is good and workplace culture is friendly. The hardest part of the job is managing stakeholder. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a coach to mentor. Awesome place to work.
I dont know
Correctional Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
Good place to work at for the first few years. But eventually gets to you. No advancement, theres only a few positions to go for and over 150 people apply for that 1 spot. Money is good and theres a lot of Overtime.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everyone is on you about little things. A lot of clicks
Fun Place to work
Watercraft Inspector (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2018
The hours are long but you get to read a lot when you are not busy. You get to be outside all day talking to boaters and educating them. The supervisors are helpful and always reachable
just a job
Project Delivery Executive (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2018
There is a need for technology revamp and is happening now.
A few succeed in this fast changing culture which is influenced with politics and a select survivors who have mastered the art.
Pros
new technology vision
Cons
political environment
Good place
Software Developer Co-op (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
Good place to work, I really enjoy it. I would love to work there again if I have a chance and it pays well, pretty slow pace of working and you'll enjoy
Great Co-workers
IMAGIS Project - PeopleSoft Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2018
I haven't worked for the GOA for several years but met a lot of great people while I was there that I still stay in touch with. I was on the IMAGIS project years ago and found it engaging and fun.
Government pretty typical
Manager Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2018
Pretty typical government role There is the standard mix of people trying to get ahead and those that are happy to just coast. Conditions between Union and Management are strained, but overall, if you are looking to coast, they are ready and willing to let you not make waves.

Having said that, I worked with some entertaining managers who were happy to get out of your way if you were working hard.
Pros
Fixed days
Cons
Stagnant culture
Adapting and controlled
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2018
Hiccups with technology were a problem but through support and patience the job got done. Flexible hours were practical and I intend to apply for their next enumeration team.
Knit and fast
Filing Technician (Former Employee) –  10812-100 Ave., Edmonton, AB.20 November 2018
Filing jobs here gave me a chance of creative features.
I created a new methods of filing to assist all 30 staff filing in a organized systems to accountable situation.
Administrative Assistant/Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
Great place to work. Great employees. Work/life balance. Room for growth. Challenging and rewarding. Internal courses to further growth. Supportive management.
Toxic Workplace - Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
Economist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2018
Nepotism and favoritism are rampant and the key to advancement – either by being connected politically or to the senior management.

Senior managements’ engagement is abysmal and this is reflected in the overall workplace culture.

There is a terrible double standard between senior managements’ high expectations of the rank and file and their low expectations of themselves. Deadlines are frequently not met owing to their foot dragging - then blamed on the staff.

Communication between management and staff is incredibly poor and hampers staffs' ability to perform.

Passive aggressive bullying and belittlement are all too common for an organization that has regular (and ultimately meaningless) initiatives aimed at anti-bullying and employee engagement.

Constructive feedback is not provided to staff, nor tolerated from staff. Providing constructive feedback will result in punishment - even when done through the supposedly anonymous employee survey (and my ADM simply shrugged his poor showing off and blamed it on his superiors during a session where he chewed the division out over the results of the survey).

Training and development opportunities are provided in a similar fashion to opportunities for advancement - through nepotism and being a member of the insider clique.
Pros
It is a job in a tight economy.
Mostly good people.
Administrative Assistant 4 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2018
My current role is extremely busy. As the ARTS Lead I need to be able to prioritize and multi task as work load can change in an instant and I have many other responsibilities I need to attend to.
Pros
Cons
overtime with no rewards
Respect and Fun work place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
 Coordinate full cycle recruitment, including advertise positions internally and externally; sort and distribute resumes; prescreen, test and interview candidates; conduct reference, security and academic checks; prepare offer letters; new employee orientation and on boarding.
 Provide HR advice and expertise to hiring managers, such as staffing; performance management; employee relations; HR policy interpretation; employee training and development; compensation and benefits.
 Complete day-to-day HR duties, including processing promotions; terminations; merit raises; lateral movements; employment classification; grievances.
 Create cost effective and innovative recruitment strategies to recruit top candidates to meet the company’s needs.
 Manage over 700 employee files and ensure all documentations comply with government regulations.
Cant Complain
GIS Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Pay extremely well, however management hierarchy does not do a good job of communicating between higher positions with lower ones; this lead to a lot of frustration and confusion.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Flaky job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2