Government Of Alberta
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Government Of Alberta: 312 Employee Reviews

Canada312 reviews

Ok place

Ok place to work. HR policies terrible for existing GOA employees - will only give 8% max increase on promotion, whereas external candidates can negotiate anywhere within the range.

Benefits

Cons

Wont negotiate salary with internal hires. They treat external candidates better

Red Deer Office is Awesome

- I really enjoyed working with the folks in the Red Deer office of Alberta Environment and Parks' Regulatory Assurance Division because there was a great culture of respect. I felt like everyone really valued each other (personally and professionally). - Workplace culture was positive.- The job was meaningful because it gave me the opportunity to serve Albertans by ensuring that activities met proper environmental standards.- Management was supportive of career growth and development opportunities.Would highly recommend working for the Red Deer office - 10/10.

Pros

Great Culture, Work-Life balance, Management, Meaningful Work

Cons

GoA total compensation for professionals is not very competitive

Insights into Government Of Alberta

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Great Place to Work

Great Place to work. Would recommend working here. Lots of development opportunity. Supportive work environment. Lots of training is avaible. Management supportive.

Avoid

Middle managers will ruin your life. The govt highlights a work life balance but expects unpaid overtime, insane amounts of travel. I lost a marriage and ability to adopt a child because my manager refused to allow me to work only 40hrs a week. Then your position will be eliminated and if yiu try to apply for other positions in goa your applications are ignored and you'll never work for government again.There is a reason govt workers are always so miserable.

Pros

Pension

Cons

bullying management, unpaid overtime

Stable but soul-crushing

Everything changes constantly, and not always for the better. My team, in particular, suffers from absolutely horrible management from people who should not be in supervisory positions, although I recognize that this may not be the case for everyone everywhere. It makes it very hard to want to be to inspired to create efficiencies and positive change when the ones at the top are complacent and don't advocate at all for their staff, and any sort of suggestion is met with instant pushback because government. I work with a lot of older people who are close to retirement so they don't care, so a lot of the work ends up falling on the shoulders of the younger ones to pick up. Job is very stable if you're a permanent employee; however, if you have any drive at all to grow your career you will be sorely disappointed as opportunities are few and far between. You can expect to be given more responsibilities and duties without the pay increase because government. Little to no appreciation from supervisors (they literally forgot about Admin Professionals Day - and they're ADMIN SUPERVISORS). Other teams in the office are more pleasant and supportive. I've been here for almost 5 years and want to leave my department because it's the most toxic work environment I've ever been a part of.

Awesome

Working at Alberta Parks is such a pleasure I get to meet new people explore the area work with so many awesome people its just a wonderful place to work and if you love nature you will be blessed so amazing stunning views and animals

Great work life balance and inclusive and respectful workplace

The work is very satisfying as you serve albertans. The work culture is inclusive and respectful. Challenging yet rewarding work place. Pay is fair.

Fun and exciting

Great program and was lots of fun during the summer. Always outside and ever a dull moment. Would recommend it to anyone. Pretty awesome way to spend the summer.

Lots of job security but it comes at a cost.

In recent years, the culture at the Government of Alberta has gone downhill. Politics trump policy, so decisions on projects are either stalled while waiting for ministers to make up their minds, or pushed ahead without proper planning on ministers' whims. With so many layoffs, there are no longer enough people to do the work, but you still have to deliver, so quality isn't what you'd like it to be, which leads to poor job satisfaction.

Micromanaging

Staff were great, but management was very controlling and liked to micromanage. Did not let you do your job independently. Constantly hovering and double checking your work when unnecessary.

Stable job and good stepping stone

Don't stay too long unless you have zero ambitions to go elsewhere. You will not change the world with this job and will get very fed up with the Canadian justice system. Overall the pay is alright, if you're willing to work insane amounts of overtime....but, it will burn you out. The gossip is unreal so watch what you say and who you say it to. Other agencies do respect experience in corrections which makes it a good place for people starting their careers in law enforcement.

Pros

Bulletproof job security, decent pay overrall, pension/benefits, etc.

Cons

Extremly negative environment, can be dangerous and little room for advancement

There's a diverse and intelligent team but a high workload.

You will meet people with diverse experiences and knowledge that are motivating and encouraging, but a lot of motivating and encouraging is required at times due to the poor work-life balance. I recommend it as a place to work because it's great exposure and experience and an opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Good team, experience, knowledge, advancement, learning

Cons

long hours, stress, pressure

Stable workplace but slow placed

If stability is of great importance to you then working for the government is a good choice if you are fine with a slow paced environment. If variety of tasks is what you are looking for then you might have to look for a different department or outside the government.

Pros

Stable

Cons

Culture is lacking

Toxic work environment

While most of the people I work with are great sadly there are others that contribute to make it a toxic work environment and we’ve had many many long standing employees leave because of it. I would leave as well if I could find something that paid better. GOA employees have NEVER received a cost of living increase. I have to work two jobs in order to support myself. I have been bullied by staff and management at different times throughout my years. Only reason I’m still there is because it’s hard to find something else but always actively looking.

Great Agency to Work for

Working for GOA was an honour.Great place to work, good management, friendly co-workers, collaborative team and just looking forward to go to work everyday. You do your work well and you are recognized appropriately.

Pros

Professional development opportunities

Good work environment

Pros: it is a good place for career advancement, found management to be supportive and also a collaborative environment with colleagues as well as senior staff and managers. If you are interested you are able to advance skills through different learning and development initiatives.Cons: lots of red tape, processes can be slow at times

Great place to work for

In the 40 years I worked for Alberta education it was great experience coming out of high school and watching technology evolve. I had great management and great environment to work in.

People are nice and friendly. Interesting work, fast paced. Pay and benefits are good. Decent vacation , as well as a defined benefit pension. I would recommend working here.

Pros

Flexible hours

Excellent employer

Great employer. They are welcoming, understanding and fair. You are treated with respect. They value their staff. They are rich in praise for those dedicated.

Pros

Caring

Cons

High paced, stressful.... decent pay and benefits

It depends which government is in power, as to how you will be treated. Typically, only incompetent people get promoted, GOA is rife with nepotism. There is no work-life balance, at least in my department. Managers only care about looking good for their superiors - they dont care about ethics or morals. I wish managers and supervisors would have to re-interview for their positions every 5 years. It would help a lot with weeding out those who are incompetent. The only part of the job that I really enjoy, is when i can actually help a person and improve their life.

Pros

benefits, career longevity, colleagues

Cons

no flexibility, no work-life balance, nepotism, incompetence, changing rules

I've never looked forward to going to work until I started this position

I work as a post mortem room technician and I am involved with a prion surviellance program for the government. You work hard but are treated extremely well by all of the supervisors and management. Good training, very understanding for personal circumstances/issues, and a laid back environment when you aren't in the lab. The job itself is extremely interesting and I've had some great coworkers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement